TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW
Original Broadcast Date:  June - July 1983
Troupe: The Hot Shoe Company
Dancers: Cherry Gillespie, accompanied by Bonnie Langford, Finola Hughes , Stewart Avon Arnold,
 Linda Mae Brewer, Geoff Davids, Claud-Paul Henry , Helen Mason, Andy Norman , Robert (B.J.) Ryan,
 Paul Tomkinson
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL-BPqsLcAo

Everywhere I look there are problems!

My defence is leaking like a government department. My midfielders are playing like complete strangers and my goalkeeper has thrown a strop and is demanding a transfer. My growing obsession with playing Football Manager on the PC is not going well.  At this point I feel as though I should storm out of the room like Jose Mourinho, but I won’t as it is time to address my other PC based obsession – watching our favourite dancing girls. Actually if ‘The Special One’ spent some time watching TOTP dancing troupes then he probably wouldn’t be so grumpy all the time!

I have something a bit different for you this time. Our resident archaeologist, Mikey, dug this clip up from wherever he finds stuff and as far as I am concerned it fits the remit for this section.
I don’t know all that much about the 'Hot Shoe Show' other than it was presented by Wayne Sleep, and  Bonnie Langford, who appears in this dance, and it was relatively short lived spanning 11 episodes in 1983 and 84. It also spawned an LP, on which Cherry sings two songs including this one. Someone is selling a copy on Amazon for £149.99 if you are tempted.

I don’t know the exact date that this performance was broadcast but I believe that it was part of the first series which ran from 5th June to 10th July 1983 and went out on Sunday evenings, sandwiched between Yes Minister and That’s Life. Four more episodes would follow in September 1984 followed by a Christmas special. It is a little ironic that the BBC should launch a new dancing based show just after they had phased out the dancers on TOTP.
It looks as though the set builders went on a wildcat strike just before filming started!
The costumes are a bit boring but functional.
Cherry has a pretty good singing voice although I think she was a much better dancer than singer.  The dancing is quite energetic and I particularly like the gymnastics that one chap exhibits. I like to think that he was inspired by Gavin from Ruby Flipper. .

By this stage it was nearly 7 years since Cherry had left TOTP. Whereas the other dancers only made fleeting appearances on TV after finishing their tenure's, Cherry was quite often seen on a variety of programmes throughout the 1980's.
I think this is quite enjoyable to watch and will score it 8.25 out of 10.
Whether you choose to mark this on the singing, the dancing or the total entertainment package is entirely up to you.  Either way I look forward to receiving your views, and while you do that, I might just work on some defensive set piece drills.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

VintageVideos
Just a quick note to say that the easiest way to listen to both songs from the "Hot Shoe Show" that feature Cherry as a vocalist, "To Dance" and "Dreams", is to follow the "Listen" links in this post:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Cherry-Recordings-tp4086142.html

"To Dance" was also the B-side to Cherry's 1984 single release "Why?".

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Mikey
I guess i'd better do this one then . Its Cherry (yay!), she sings, she acts, she dances, a good all rounder then, that stage school education paying dividends, i hope Ms Bush was pleased. I guess no one here really knows much about this show, other than it features a lot of dance sequences a few of which can be found on the interweb, but has anyone seen a complete show in the last 30 odd years?, probably not.

I guess this was fairly typical of the show though, lively and upbeat if a little cheesy at times, and the dancing is very energetic. Its probably futile to look for errors, they must have rehearsed and rehearsed it until it was drilled in and it looks very professional to me. The gymnastic guy was very impressive too, give that man a raise!

Cherry had obviously done a lot of theatre work by this point and the singing is fine although there seems to be a bit of an American twang to it, maybe thats just me.

Its also nice that this clip is in a decent quality too, always a bonus, although difficult to score without the context of other parts of the show, i enjoy it and its an 8/10. Dancer/Actor/Singer of the day...I'll choose Cherry.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Everything'sRosie
Though it's always nice to see the wonderful Cherry, I find The Hot Shoe Show is taking me to a place I don't want to go. This is all getting a bit too close to serious dance for me. In fact, I almost feel a tad uncomfortable watching it. You almost expect them to flash a Hollywood smile and declare "I'm gonna be a big star!" Yes, I'm being facetious, but a show hosted by Wayne Sleep and Bonnie Langford, however talented they were perceived to be, would get no screen time on any TV of mine. Cherry, you're lovely, but it's just a 6/10 from me.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Mikey
Probably more Borehamwood than Hollywood ER

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Good left-field choice OGW. The multi-talented Cherry looks quite fantastic in this and to my kind eyes hasn't aged at all since her final year on TOTPs. Could i do without her singing ? Well yeah, but ive heard far worse warbling over the years. She was a blumming fine dancer and hasn't lost her touch at all.

I enjoyed the clip, and will give it an 8.

DOTD, certainly not the gawd awful Bonnie Langford, nor the Gavin look-a-like geezer, but the very fanciable Cherry.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

An interesting find.  For a while I thought Cherry had got the decorators in.
And although Cherry is always worthy of attention the overall package here isn't really my cup of tea.... so just a 6.5.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Gorgeous Daze
The unbuilt stage symbolizes the little girl's dream before it materialized, that's my explanation. Upon these bare bones an ageless Cherry runs through what came to be: performing for all the family a bland show tune by numbers that bursts into a kind of generic prog vitality with friends, and back again. Going by the functional vogue of the costumes and naked ability shown off by the aspirants a Fame influence seems likely, to contemporize the ol' Broadway schmaltz. I half expect a car to roll on stage left for them to leap on.

Cherry's singing voice isn't bad, she's as lovely as ever, and easily my fave classic Pan's Person, and though I also like the energy - when it comes - like others this alas isn't really my kind of thing, The Hot Shoe Show would never have got me into TV dancers. I think for the heart of the performance and good close-ups which ameliorate the mawkish bookends I'll award a fair 7/10

It's well into the age of mass VHS and Betamax ownership, surely someone preserved a copy of this edition and other complete Hot Shoe Shows...maybe coming to a Kal Event any year soon?

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

I have made no secret of my admiration for the lovely Ms Gillespie and I'm quite sure she is the "Hot" part of this Show.  This performance is polished and efficient but like others it leaves me a little cold compared to the best PP and RF dances and this type of Broadway Musical style just isn't my cuppa cha.  I'm a 6.5/10 and it is good that we have such evidence of Cherry's versatility but I prefer it when she fulfils her dream with the other ladies we know and love rather than singing about it with a group of strangers.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

MADMAX
So thats where Cherry went after PP/RF.Never heard her sing before, sounds ok to me, Also see some other songs of hers, Ill chase them up later. Prefer her with the old troupes but im proberly being a bit one eyed  For me, for her 8

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

AC/PD
Proof if proof were needed that being small of frame does not  necessarily equate to small of voice. Cherry's tone is of a pleasing depth so as to relax the ears, it carries well.
The gear shifts do the performance no harm at all when moving to zippy 80's urgency - the filling in a sandwich which includes two thick slices of Dean Friedman-esque Lucky Stars Transatlantic drawl. Allied with a dance performance 'middle eight', To Dance is a Cherry and Friends performance suitable to a Royal Variety Show appearance.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all of your reviews. Plenty of interesting comments as always. Looking forward to entering this on to the scoreboard once the next rating is received.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Gorgeous Daze wrote
It's well into the age of mass VHS and Betamax ownership, surely someone preserved a copy of this edition and other complete Hot Shoe Shows...maybe coming to a Kal Event any year soon?
I would have thought that these shows would still exist in the BBC vault.

Re: TO DANCE - THE HOT SHOE SHOW

Legsfan
The highlight of this routine for me was seeing the lovely Cherry again. Although I'm not keen on shows like this, just because the lovely Cherry is doing an amazing job, I event went on to watch Why.
The dance is good. I like the start of it with Cherry, but when the other dancers started, the cameras started to show less of the star of the show. Cherry certainly was the star of this dance and I must say that it is a real treat to see her dancing years after Top of the Pops.

Rating: 8/10
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.