TOKYO JOE -- [May]

TOKYO JOE Dance number 41 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Bryan Ferry and reaching No 15 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 26/05/77 Duration of dance 2.40 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 39                       Lulu 38
Rosie 39                          Gill 37
Sue 39                            Patti 34
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24yx6q_legs-co-tokyo-joe-totp-tx-26-05-1977_creation

I know i sound like a record stuck on repeat play, but once again a routine (and a very good one at that) is marred by the lighting situation. I guess if the set is adorned with paper lanterns, then it wouldn't work if it was to brightly lit. We get nice half silhouettes of the girls, but with such a clever worked routine with all the oriental moves, it just leaves this viewer frustrated, like quite a few performances from this period.
  The actual routine itself though is quite splendid, i love all the stereotypical moves, the bowing etc. Given this routine, any choreographer would have done the same with the Jappo feel to it.
  Just aside from Legs, i wonder why did Roxy Music went through `wilderness years` during this period ? Anyhow Mr Ferry`s song here is pretty good. So my rating for the dance, 7 out of 10.

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Suefan
Yes indeed, in spite of the lighting, or lack thereof, this has a certain something down in small part to the choreography, which some like and some don't, but in large part to the performances which are spot on.  Had these ladies not chosen a career in dance I'm sure they could have been just as successful on the dramatic stage.  Overall though this is not a real favourite as old SF is not a fan of those hair styles.  I can live with a certain confinement to the coiffure in such classics as "Love You Inside Out" or "....Beautiful Body" but as a general rule I prefer wild and unruly locks, the more unruly the better.

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

PattiforPM
This is not one of my favorites, sorry.  I don't like the song even though I'm an ardent fan of much of Roxy Music's work and even some of Bryan's solo stuff.  The dim lighting is a nusiance and I don't really like the choreography and set even though i do understand the need to reflect the music.  The ladies do their level best as always but I can't find it in myself to give this more than 3/10.

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Paperboyplod
Thus would be a very good dance routine, of it wasn't for the lighting, which seemed to render the dancers in silhouette form during close-up camera shots. The lighting itself befittingly has an oriental theme, domestic lighting complete with paper lantern style lamp-shades, if you look carefully enough, you'll notice that there's a tear in the canvass of one of the shades, the rest of the set was fairly spartan looking, I think that this routine is another one of those that was a last-minute job, a routine that had to be drastically changed when the previously chosen track to dance to, had to be 'frisbeed', but there's plenty of worse routines out there!

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Floid Fan
As mentioned before, I for one do not like the choreography with its 'sterotypical moves' .  Not good but I can see the temptation was too great with a title like 'Tokyo Joe' . But I do quite like the song.
Carl

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Stu

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Stu
Not sure how to rate this. I think it's a great song, but the performance is a little basic and the lighting is awful, but I do find myself quite enjoying it. Erm...

7.5/10

Stuey

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Old Bill
This could have been a cracker with some proper lighting and a few close ups - or different shots even.

Yes you've got lanterns like they have in Japan, we get the picture. Can we see some pretty faces now!?

6.5/10 - but could have easily been 8. ah so.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Andeebee
 a rubbery 4 for me

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

I love this one.The set and lighting are great,not least the flashing rising sun on the backdrop.Even the lack of light lends itself to the mysterious east.We know who the dancers are cos we're so familiar with them,the uninitiated couldn't tell them apart.There are lots of great dance moves.I particularly like Rosie at the point when Byron Ferrari starts to sing,and i love it when they all leap into the air.Different and imaginative.
10/10.

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

VintageVideos
これは、東アジアのようにダンスです。私はそれが好きです。それは何か違うよ!
8.5 /10

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Andeebee
we are not starting that again are we Vin???

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

VintageVideos
Sorry couldn't resist

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

PattiforPM
Think I see Patti in there as VV's DotD but not quite sure

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Andeebee
I see an order for Salmon skin roll
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Stu
Ha ha love it VV, however I thought I'd try and catch you out, so I googled your post to see what it really meant... unfortunately this is the reply I got:

それは私もかねてより疑問に思って質問していたところです。 なぜ韓国人 ... なぜ東アジアのしかも朝鮮半島の南部だけが際立ってあんなにも美しいのか?分かりませ ... 問題です。これは人類の英知を結集しても解けない問題かもしれません。

Oh well...

Stuey

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

VintageVideos
try this site:
http://translate.google.com/
Stu

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Stu

Thanks for that VV, for anyone who may be interested this it what VV's comment translates to:

'Pauline is the best, and anyone who doesn't nominate her as DOTD is a fool and will have me to reckon with'

ok... that's not entirely true... this is what it really means...

'This is dance as in East Asia. I like it. It is something different!'

Stuey

Re: TOKYO JOE -- 1977

Doc
Poor lighting, dancing shadows, could have been so much better had that been sorted out. Still decent enough for an 8.