TOP Cheerleader 83/84

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

TOP Fan
Sorry TRICIA

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Colm
And for the last regular non-video playout, we had the old guard of cheerleaders represented by Mark and Alex, Big Jennie popped up a few times, and Tricia got a podium spot.

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

TOP Fan
I believe it was very appropriate that Tricia was on the podium doing her excellent twiirls. I will now have to watch my recordings to see Tricia doing her perfect twirls.

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Colm
Tricia turns up on one of the March 1986 episodes... but it's one of the two Smithy shows. Thankfully, it's available to watch online:

https://vimeo.com/162036037

or

https://vimeo.com/262320890

You can see Tricia behind the Blow Monkeys on the big stage, and on the stairs behind Hipsway. I've also spotted Gina Keer in this episode.

Sadly, spotting the cheerleaders starts getting more difficult from now on...

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

TOP Fan
Thank you for the information Colm, always appreciated

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

It's time for another screenshot special and for this we go back to the 14-7-1983. On this show were Heaven 17 performing their no. 6 record 'Come Live With Me'. Two ladies were employed to dance in the caged section, either side of the band. I don't know who the other girl is on the left - she was in the studio a lot around this period, but wasn't a regular and didn't go on much further after this.  However, she does a good job in her frilly French dress. My focus of attention is on the lady to the right, a regular cheerleader by the name of Tricia Roberts!
Whilst 'Temptation' was a decent up-tempo track, it has been seriously over-played during the years; especially as it hit the Top Ten again in re-mixed form in 1993. I've always favoured the wistful 'Come Live With Me and the studio performance has been a long-time TOTP2 favourite of mine.
Tricia's performance on this is absolutely red-hot. I love the way she beckons her finger to the "come live with me" lyric and the movements of her body are sensual and never sleazy. In a way, she's both reminding and tormenting the man who has been left alone, about the physical attractions that had led to the age-gapped relationship that was doomed from the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZOkhjTALI

                                                             'COME LIVE WITH ME' - HEAVEN 17 (14-7-1983)

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Gorgeous Daze
Good work Mr Hurll, almost a veritable flick-book of Tricia's performance. The age-gapped relationship she was interpreting so effectively is a little ironic given that someone who posts here who claims to have gone to school with her in Sheffield has her being in her early thirties by 83. Much more 37 than 17!

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Who's That Hurll
It's probably better we don't speculate on the sands of time and just appreciate performers at their peak. If we start thinking too much about their ages, we might even think about our own!  ………………………….………………………….

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Quoting Sinitta on TOTP- The Story of 1986 and her first TOTP studio performance on the 7/8/1986 episode :

"But all my friends are kind of like in the audience...the cheerleaders...a few of them not so happy".

What do you make of this, Colm?  The cheerleader era is over at this point. Could you spot any of them from around when Sinitta  was a cheerleader (1982)?

I'm sure you've seen it already but here's a reminder of the Sinitta interview, which is between 39.20 and 43.30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIYpL5mBbk

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Who's That Hurll
Hi Colm. Do you also think this is Gina that is delivering the flowers in the 14/8/86 episode?

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Colm
Sorry for the late reply on this...

I still keep an eye out for the cheerleader gang on every episode, and sadly, I've not spotted any familiar faces in any episode from the end of March onwards.

To be honest, I've not even noticed the sound of cheerleaders trying to hype the audience up with whoops and the odd "Clap your hands everyone!" or the like, but that will pick up again towards the end of the decade in sound only...

I know some of the male cheerleaders stayed on as warm-up guys into the early 1990s: on one of the BBC Saturday Morning children's series, The 8.15 from Manchester, there's a behind-the-scenes report on TOTP, compiled during the recording sessions for 18-4-1991 edition, and among those featured are Tony and Alex, who it's mentioned as warm-up artists.

I've heard, anecdotally, that you can see John Goldsmith jiving with members of the audience during a TOTP from the summer of 1989 when a certain rabbit was at Number 1 for the first time.

I also believe Tricia Roberts was a "co-host" of the BBC's coverage of the Montreux Rock and Pop Festival in 1986, along with our old friend Mike Smith.

Perhaps what Sinitta is inferring to during the Story of '86 is that some of the cheerleaders she'd have encountered around 1982 (who would have included Alex, Tony and John) were still involved with the production of TOTP by the time of "So Macho", but perhaps in a less-camera-facing role.

It is frustrating that BBC Four no longer has the Tweet-a-longs where they share the production notes, as that would indicate who was still hanging around and what they were doing.

Also, from her distant profile in that screenshot, the Lady in Red does indeed look like Gina, but you didn't really get much of a chance to see her from the front in that closing shot.

Re: TOPs Cheerleader

Who's That Hurll
Thanks for your reply. It's actually Alex and Pinky that are shown in that '8.15 From Manchester' feature. I have added a few screenshots from it to Alex's section on Page 2.
Unfortunately, the Michael Hurll interview is already notorious on here, for his attempt to jump on the trendy 'ism' bandwagon by belittling the dance troupes. He then ends up scoring two own goals, by mixing up Pans People with Legs & Co. I have a lot of admiration for him as a producer, but this wasn't his finest hour.
I've had a look on YT for Montreux clips from 1986 that include Tricia presenting, but unfortunately only came across Smitty. If anyone has any episodes or clips of Tricia at Montreux, please can you post them.

If Susan is looking in, I'd be grateful if you could confirm that Gina was Chris De Burgh's Lady In Red in the 14/8/86 episode.