TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Mikey
Thanks SFE and Michael for your comments. Michael does the fact your friend was playing with ELO mean you got free tickets?

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Finally got round to watching this whole Show and really enjoyed it.  Edmonds is quite entertaining I think and I like Paper Plane, the first Quo song I bought, before searching for all the earlier hits later on.  Thin Lizzy were very good and was that a Security guard behind them on the left?  Focus I found a bit boring to be honest and I never liked the yodelly stuff.  Also a bit funny seeing some of the front row fans headbanging to this orchestral music.  Pans People were monumental and You're So Vain is such a good song too.  Tony Christie was ok but that massive collar on his coat was a bit of an amusing distraction.  ELO were ok too but not my favourite song and I agree Jeff did look a bit silly.  ONJ was proficient and pleasant to watch but I much prefer John Denver's version and she looked much better in later years IMO.  Sweet were great; Brian Connolly's hair is a miracle and Steve Priest always does something interesting.  The song isn't their best but I still enjoyed it immensely.  Superstition is just wonderful but loses out by being the playout. These early 70s crowds are certainly good to watch too but panning around is always a bit of a patchwork pleasure.   I'd so love to know how Pans interpreted it.  Anyway all in all this was fun and my vote has to go to  You're So Vain although Blockbuster, Superstition and Whisky were all great too.

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Mikey
Thanks P4PM, i wonder if there is a Pans effect to these favourites, time will tell. Which Sweet song(s) do you think is better than this one?

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

PattiforPM
I kind of grew up with Little Wllie (no comments please) which is almost the first song I really recall seeing on TOTP but Ballroom Blitz is by far their best IMHO Mikey.  You might be right about the Pans effect too but I do think YSV is really special and might be a bit of an exception to the rule.

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Mikey
Ive checked a few on the Sweet YT channel, they haven't done too badly for surviving footage really, Ballroom Blitz is certainly good though.

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Apologies for being late to this party. It's a show that makes for interesting viewing. Compared to the 1980's I like the fact that there isn't a forced party atmosphere but on the other hand I think the chart rundown was done much better in the Hurll years.
Our host does a competent enough job although he was probably still feeling his way into the role and there are no puns sprinkled into his intro's. It seems as though the cameramen liked to zoom in really close in those days and at times we get closer to Noel than I really want to be.
The show gets off to a poor start as I don't like any of the opening three songs but picks up dramatically when Pans People hit the stage. I am a big fan of this routine and also really like the song. Tony Christie then performs what in my opinion is the weakest of his three hits but it is still quite good.
I am a big fan of ELO but don't really like their version of ROB. They had much better days to come. Like P4PM I prefer John Denver's version of Country Roads but ONJ does a decent job with it.
In my opinion the best song of the show is Blockbuster which has an anthemic feel to it and probably best encapsulates the era. Then we finish with Stevie Wonder performing another great song.
Overall I would score this show an 8 out of 10.

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Mikey
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Apologies for being late to this party.
Thanks OGW, good to have your input.

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Doc
A good all round show with some very strong songs. I tried to guess the colour of the Pan’s dresses, I’m sure Ruth was wearing yellow and suspect most of the others may be wearing similar to their regular colours but maybe a bit lighter than usual. Does anyone know if the chroma dots made it onto the tele recording? It would be nice to see this show colourised unfortunately it’s not a Dr Who so it probably won’t happen.
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 1-2-73 with Noel Edmonds

Mikey
I've tried to colorise a few shots in the past but always seems to turn a reddish brown a bug in the software perhaps.