TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

11-4-74:   Presenter:  Noel Edmonds

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hlR8D7_9kixeWH6vWzOFfTPRo7AL43M4 (the 4th on the list)

(23) LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’ – A Walkin’ Miracle  (crowd dancing)  (and charts)
(8) MUD – The Cat Crept In
(4) SLADE – Everyday
(36) MUNGO JERRY – Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black
(7) DIANA ROSS & MARVIN GAYE – You Are Everything  (video)
(20) THE WOMBLES – Remember You’re A Womble
(22) THE CHI-LITES – Homely Girl  (danced to by Pan’s People)
(17) BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS – Rock Around The Clock  ®
(NEW) ABBA – Waterloo
(1) TERRY JACKS – Seasons In The Sun  (footage from Musikladen 14-4-74)
(5) THE GLITTER BAND – Angel Face  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

This week the TOTP time machine goes back to 1974, a year that sees the studio adorned with rainbow shapes, starry lights, shiny stages, a new dancer and lots more besides. More on those 1974 sets in a future review, for now lets get on with the show. Noel Tidybeard is our host, and he seems at home here cracking jokes and having fun with the audience, he even gets a snog at one point, bloomin groupies!, tough job is it Noel?.

Limmy & The Family Cookin's 'A Walkin Miracle' plays over the chart rundown, this will be their 3rd and final UK hit, reaching number 6. Whilst only a short bit is played this is not quite in the same league as 'You Can Do Magic' their biggest hit from the previous year, but its pleasant enough.

Probably an obvious choice to start things off in energetic style are Mud with Tiger Fee...er 'The Cat Crept In'. Through my retrospective eyes Mud were great fun, i'm never exactly sure what counts as 'glam rock' (a media created catch-all phrase like 'brit-pop' methinks) a lot of the guys were not exactly models, but i guess it was more about the spirit and trying to be wacky was all part of that unique time period. Les Gray really wants to be Elvis doesnt he?. So clearly capitalising on the success of Tiger Feet this is also a pretty decent record, hey if it aint broke don't fix it and people will buy it, which they did. Next up its Slade with 'Everyday', its already starting to look like the big names of 72-74 are all present and correct, are T-Rex on later?, no, oh ok then. Something a bit different here from the Slade lads, not sure if this really counts as a ballad but its more downbeat then usual, Noddy even sings quite softly, before going into full bellow mode later on. Nice to hear something less played for a change.

Mungo Jerry likes a 'Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black', a new one on me, they are probably still living in the shadow of 'In The Summertime', i can't say i hear any of their other records on the radio including this one, although its a fine dash of retro Rock n Roll, and Ray is pretty animated in his delivery here. Anyway Ray is out of luck with this particular lady, who keeps saying No!, best move on then. Soul stalwarts Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross combine their talents on the slushy but actually rather nice 'You Are Everything'. This is accompanied by the usual home made video slot, not too weird this one (rating a mere 5 out of 10 on the weird-o-meter), but i'm not sure if that lady is supposed to be stalking the poor guy or not as she thinks its someone she knows (a past lover?) and its probably not. We never really get any outcome on this either, still the scenery looked nice, was it Devon?. Anyway Marvin is great as usual, this is proving a good show so far. I had The Wombles when i was a kid, toy ones of course not the real ones, the real ones can usually be found on Wimbledon Common picking up the things everyday folks leave behind, probably because the council are on strike. They also do a sideline in natty little pop songs so this week are in the studio to promote 'Remember You’re A Womble', um i don't think i am but carry on. Its good to see a bit of audience participation now and again, and daft as it may be this all good clean fun if you're under 10 and slightly embarrasing for anyone else. Now back to the common with you lot the litter is piling up!

As routines go Homely Girl by The Chi-Lites is a real Pan's classic, thank god this was saved from the wiping machine unlike so many others. A routine of 2 halves, the downtrodden girls in dowdy workwear contrasting with their more glamous night attire selves, i guess the key to this is the editing was carefully planned out to switch between the two at the opportune moment to create the transition effect. There are so many nice moments its impossible to capture them all, so i think just this one will suffice.

I dont really know much about the Chi-Lites, just another soul group of the time to me i'm afraid, but this song is obviously quite moralistic and provides a really good basis to let Flicks imagination create something special. Well if Mud and Mungo Jerry are channelling a bygone Rock n Roll era, well you could hardly accuse Bill Haley of doing the same back with his perrential hit 'Rock Around The Clock' released (as Noel tells us) 20 years earlier. I don't know when he last had a hit in the UK or why this was being re-released but it must have been a rare treat for viewer to see this classic on TV at the time, even it was out of context with the rest of the show, either that or they couldnt care less about an oldie, "where's T-Rex?".

Abba created so many good records over their career, its hard to imagine when they appeared on the scene as unknowns, well here we are then their first UK hit and also first TOTPs. Waterloo was of course the Eurovision winner and a future number one. I think you'd be hard pressed to dislike Abba, their taste for a touch of melancholy in their music often prevalent, even when songs such as this sound upbeat with lyrics such as 'I was defeated, you won the war'. A good Abba record yes, but one of many, do you have a favourite?

Well if Abba are melancholy Terry Jacks is downright miserable on his second week at number one with 'Seasons In The Sun' not many people seem to like this but i do, but then i've got Radiohead albums in my collection so this is almost cheerful compared to those. To finish we need to cheer everyone up with a little bit of Glitter, The Glitter Band that is, with 'Angel Face' and no Gary gurning at the camera instead the kids get to muck about in front of the camera for it bit, just so they can go home happy and tell the folks, hey i'm on the telly!!.

Thanks Noel, good show!

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Michael
Ah...this is the one!

I'm sooo far behind with my replies and reviews here on OFTDs, but I'll make a concerted effort to say a few words about this show.

By the way, there's a certain screen-cap featured in your intro that I'm going to borrow for my Louise Clarke FB page 😉

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Everything'sRosie
We're off and running with a fresh-faced Tidybeard at the helm, and doesn't he looked pleased with himself with the "yeah, yeah, yeah," intro to Limmie & Family Cookin' as they sing Walkin' Miracle over the chart rundown. Hadn't heard it for years. Good pop record.

And so into the show proper...

Mud - The Cat Crept In Using another feline theme no doubt to cash in on Tiger Feet's popularity. A pretty basic Glam number really. But, rather amusingly, we do get some early 70s style androgyny, courtesy of guitarist Rob Davies. It's rather frightful. He looks like a bricklayer crossed with my late Auntie Ruth.

Slade - Everyday A rather untypical Slade record from their golden era. Slow and thoughtful, but Dave Hill has still gone full-on Glam. I prefer their stomping stuff.

Mungo Jerry - Long-Legged Woman etc etc Their last hit, and I'm not surprised. Very monotonous. Very dull.

We now get a little interlude when a blonde member of the audience decides she's going to kiss Tidybeard. The poor boy looks visibly fazed, and stumbles his introduction to...

Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye - You Are Everything  A nice slice of slick pop from the superstar pair. Unsurprisingly they are not in Shepherd's Bush to perform it. Instead we get a BBC film very loosely reflecting the lyrics. If Hanway2 is reading this, the girl in the vid is actress Claire Falconbridge, who played the phantom nun in the Menace episode "The Haunting", which remains the creepiest thing I have ever seen on a TV screen.

The Wombles - Remember You're A Womble  Because of BBC policy the band are forced to mime. Shame. This was big in school playgrounds back then. And Orinoco's singing voice reminds me a bit of Mike Batt

Chilites - Homely Girl Luckily the group couldn't make it, and so we get this delightful Pan's People routine. In or out of dungarees, they look gorgeous.

Bill Haley & The Comets - Rock Around The Clock  Surprisingly in the studio. A couple of lasses get down to it, but I suspect most audience members were thinking...aren't they old!

ABBA - Waterloo Fresh from their Eurovision triumph...they even have the same outfits on. Waterloo was not the best ABBA song IMO but it got the ball rolling, and world conquest followed.

Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun It's No.1 time. Despite the grim lyrics, Mr Jacks is still with us 45 years later.

The Glitter Band - Angel Face  A good play out track. That double drum kit certainly gives their stuff a driving energy. I quite like The GB, it's a pity they will always be associated with You Know Who.

Thanks for the upload, Mikey. A fine show featuring many of the acts we associate with the era.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Another really enjoyable trip down TOTPs memory lane. Thanks Mikey for bringing this to us. At no time did i feel any compunction to fast forward (unlike nowadays). True a lot of the songs did have a certain cheesiness attached to them and the fashions and hairstyles wern't much better, but i felt entertained, aided tremendously by Noel's witty presentation.
LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’  - A lively jaunty song to get the show underway with the added bonus of audience shots interspersed with the charts. 7.5 out of 10.
MUD - Never keen on this lot way back when, but somehow whenever i watch their stuff on YouTube i quite like them. They always appear to be a `blokey` sort of band to me. Girls take a seat whilst the men get up and jive. 7.5 out of 10.
SLADE - Possibly my favourite track by them. 9.5 out of 10.
MUNGO JERRY - Not heard this one for what seems like forever. Enjoyed it. 8.5 out of 10.
DIANA ROSS & MARVIN GAYE - Nice song, weird film accompanying it. 7 out of 10.
THE WOMBLES - Never a fan of this lot. 6 out of 10.
THE CHI-LITES – (danced to by Pan’s People)  - Its just a excellent dance routine. But not one id consider truly great, hence my 9.5 out of 10.
BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS - I salute the historical significance of the record, but its not my thing at all. 6 out of 10.
ABBA - The ultimate Eurovision winner and a song i frankly never tire of. My top marks on the show.9.75 out of 10.
TERRY JACKS - Dare i say it, i thought this to be low point of the show. A bit boring for me and the sad song will get a sad score. 4 out of 10.
THE GLITTER BAND (crowd dancing)  (and credits)  - Decent song and shots of the badly dressed crowd dancing. 7 out of 10.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Everything'sRosie wrote
Bill Haley & The Comets - Rock Around The Clock  Surprisingly in the studio. A couple of lasses get down to it, but I suspect most audience members were thinking...aren't they old!
I think this must have been taken from the 28-2-74 show and they mixed in a bit of crowd shots from the current week.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

A great programme to watch Mikey, some nice performances in this programme. And better than I've watched in the past few weeks.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Mikey
So if this was Abbas first performance i was wondering what was their last studio performance. According to the tvrdb it was as early as 8th Apr 1976 with Fernando, a mere 2 years later, i wonder what stopped them appearing?, they did do some good videos of course.

https://tvrdb.com/totp/?r=1&q=Abba

Here is a still of their only performance in 1975 for S.O.S (2-10-75 to be exact), in those cat t-shirts, wiped of course.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

According to our mates at Popscene, Abba made 8 studio TOTPs appearances in total.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/popscene/592-abba-t6264.html

11/04/74 : Waterloo
02/05/74 : Waterloo
05/12/74 : So Long
25/12/74 : Waterloo
02/10/75 : S.O.S. (rpt 16/10/75)
15/01/76 : Mamma Mia
08/04/76 : Fernando
25/12/76 : Mamma Mia

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Everything'sRosie
So Long?
Never heard of this one before. I checked my Guinness Book of Hit Singles and it didn't even chart. It's often forgotten (me included) that before S.O.S gave them a shot in the arm nearly 18 months after Waterloo, ABBA were going nowhere fast.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

The 25-12-76 Mamma Mia was a repeat of the January one.

Here is the So Long clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYbbrPWyNM

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Michael
On the whole a good show, which brought back lots of childhood memories. The picture quality added to my enjoyment.

Though I was only seven at the time, music had already become an obsession, with TOTPs being my regular fix. There are a few acts here that wouldn’t have interested my younger self (I’d have probably shoved my Dinky/Corgi cars around on our living room’s orange and beige carpet during these numbers), but there would’ve been enough electric guitar action to satisfy my hunger for such.

Noel does a good job of presenting the show though I must admit to finding him a touch irksome.

Anyway, here’s my little review of the show:

(Ryan, I’ve used the layout of your review as a template for mine. Thank you!)
LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’  - When I was a child, my dreams were odd and often disturbing, and always had a distinctive soundtrack. One of said nightmares found me lost in a huge crowd which was making its way through Aylesbury’s Friars Square shopping precinct while chanting the chorus of this song over an over.

Despite the curious association, I like the song and will happily award it 8 out of 10.

By the way, the most terrifying dream I ever had featured a tow-ball and the Everly Brothers.

I was a strange child 😂
MUD - This would’ve been one of my favourite performances, mainly because the guitar player (who incidentally went on to co-write Kylie’s “Can’t Get You Out of My Head”)’s playing what has always been my favourite kind of guitar. In retrospect, it’s a pretty naff Rock & Roll song that wouldn’t warrant another listen.

6 out of 10 (this includes a point for the Fender Stratocaster)
SLADE - I LOVED Slade, but I remember this song being a HUGE disappointment for the seven-year-old me: Slade, playing a SLOW song? How could they? In retrospect (once again), I can recognise how well written a song this is, so I’ll give it 9 out of 10.
MUNGO JERRY - This has stood the test of time well. I’ve always like Mungo Jerrys’ music’s earthy quality, and Ray Dorset’s a great front man. He now lives in Dorset. Destiny? Maybe… 8 out of 10
DIANA ROSS & MARVIN GAYE - I like this song, though this isn’t my favourite version, mainly because I’m not a fan of Diana Ross’ voice. Mind you, Marvin’s pairing with Tami was always going to be hard to beat. The accompanying film is really peculiar and puts me in mind of a low-budget Science Fiction movie. 7 out of 10.
THE WOMBLES - Yes, it’s a song about a bunch of furry, underground dwelling, litter-collecting fictional characters, but it is a great song with a cracking chorus. 8 out of 10
THE CHI-LITES – (danced to by Pan’s People)  - Those of you who’ve read the missive I posted on my “Why is ….. your favourite dancer” thread will understand why this routine is significant to me. For the reasons mentioned within said missive, the ladies get a well-deserved 10 out of 10. The song’s great, too 😉
BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS - I’m quite sure that, at this point in the show, my dear departed dad would’ve said, in his Lancashire accent, something like, “Now this is what you call proper music, Michael.”
I’m not a big fan of this song, or Bill Hayley, but kudos to them for playing live. 7 out of 10
ABBA - Not my favourite ABBA song, but I clearly remember them winning Eurovision, and how exciting the song sounded. Not too keen on their visuals here, but hey, it is 1974. 8.5 out of 10 (half a point deducted for Frieda’s dodgy hair-do)
TERRY JACKS - A bit of a dirge, this one, and I can’t listen to it anymore without being reminded of that awful boyband’s woeful rehash. Had Robin Nash ran the VT of Pan’s People’s routine for this episode, I’d have scored it a little higher, but given it’s just Terrence, it’s 6 out of 10 from me, I’m afraid. Sorry, Tel.
THE GLITTER BAND (crowd dancing)  (and credits)  - I’ve only just (on hearing this song) realised where Adam and the Ants got the idea for their guitar sound from: The Glitter Band! Of course!
Not a bad track, but I won’t be seeking it out again for repeat listens. 7 out of 10 (a bonus point added in respect of the audiences’ general appearance.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Everything'sRosie wrote
Mungo Jerry - Long-Legged Woman etc etc Their last hit, and I'm not surprised. Very monotonous. Very dull.
LOL.  Ive had the song stuck in my head for the past two days. Although i do remember it from back in the day, i don't recall it being this catchy a tune. I really quite like it.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

  Mikey, I have finally got round to watching this edition in full and to start composing a review. I do not have a lot of spare time this week, so it may take several days to finish. I will post it on this thread as soon as it is ready to go.
  I may be getting behind, but still enjoy watching these old TOTps.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Mikey
Thanks Hanway, thats fine.

Would anyone else like to comment on this show?

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Here we go again:
(23) LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’ – A Walkin’ Miracle  (crowd dancing)  (and charts)
Still a nice song, pity there's no PP dance to it.

(8) MUD – The Cat Crept In
Tiger Feet Pt. II, and as our host noted this was more like a rock'n'roll revival than glam. Nevermind, good fun and good show.

(4) SLADE – Everyday
Dave Hill used to say: "Piano means failure", and for Slade failure meant not going to No. 1, so he was right again. Ok song, but Slade have done better. Dave's guitar solo is much too short.

(36) MUNGO JERRY – Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black
Ah I like Mungo Jerry, got all their stuff on various CDs. Ray Dorset going glam but again this is more like rock'n'roll. Ray's lyrics seem to center around the same subject in all of his hits, but it's not a bad subject so I don't mind... But those sideburns!

(7) DIANA ROSS & MARVIN GAYE – You Are Everything  (video)
Good song that had been recorded by The Stylistics in 1971 and The Pearls in 1973 but none of these versions had made the UK charts. Diana & Marvin do a good cover and justifiably it went Top 5. The video is not very exciting but we've seen worse. At least there's a nice girl.

(20) THE WOMBLES – Remember You’re A Womble
Ok this was a British phenomenon which us Europeans never quite 'got'. I have to concede that their hits were quite catchy though. Good saxophone solo, again a bit short.

(22) THE CHI-LITES – Homely Girl  (danced to by Pan’s People)
Definitely the highlight of the show, one of the best they ever did. Just the intro is a bit chewy and gummy.

(17) BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS – Rock Around The Clock  ®
Possibly the best known rock and roll song of all times, but not exactly a favourite of mine. In a way I'm glad it wasn't an updated remix with some black guy rapping over the music though. Yep happy times.

(NEW) ABBA – Waterloo
I knew ABBA (before they were ABBA) from their 1973 hit in Holland called 'Ring Ring', but this was when it really took off for them. Hard to imagine today that they also recorded French and German versions of Waterloo but that's what you did in the early 70s when you won Eurovision! Good song though not their best. Their stage performance, however, is legendary! Every male either had a crush on Agnetha or Frida.

(1) TERRY JACKS – Seasons In The Sun  (footage from Musikladen 14-4-74)
I detested that song when it came out and I still don't like it. Good to see something from our own 'Musikladen' though.

(5) THE GLITTER BAND – Angel Face  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)
More glam to finish the show. I always considered the Glitter Band second rate but this was a good record.

All in all a star-studded show from the glam era, in fact all records made the Top 15, eight even the Top 5. I would rate it 9 out of 10.
Respect the seven second delay we use

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

   Another Top Of The Pops. Was the 13 year old me watching this edition when broadcast? Almost certainly, but alas I do not remember it from the day. I would love to have such perfect recall that I could tell all and everyone of you which shows I saw. But that is an impossible dream, for my memory. But it is a good thing now that we can still watch this edition now, in all the colour and glory as if recently transmitted. We can wish for many things, but also be thankful what we already have. And here we are in April 1974 with Noel Edmunds as our ever-friendly and welcoming host. The iconic introductory theme music, the best ever for the programme and an absolute guarantee to get you- or me at least- in the right frame of mind to watch this week’s offerings. Can any other theme be as closely connected with the show the support? Yes, there are others equally as good, but none better. We are in the mood and tuned into the show. The chart rundown backed by Limmie and the Family Cookin’, and ‘A Walkin’ Miracle’, a very good lead vocal performance from Jimmie Cookin’ ( Snell ) this time, from a group that had much star quality, but have been rather lost to the collective public memory through the passage of time. I instantly wonder, as they are not present, and Pan’s performed a superlative routine to their ‘You Can Do Magic’, if this track was ever up for consideration as a candidate for a Flick and the girls treatment? No point conjecturing what it might have been like, life is too short, so on with the charts. What is in this week? Many old favourites, Ringo Starr, The Hollies and massed Wombles. And shots of the crowd dancing, when the production team clearly thought that the audience were still an important part of the show. I find it very interesting to watch the crowd dancing, the styles and fashions, the girls, and I know I am not alone in this. Ah! the very lovely Sunny at number 14, she should have been a bigger star in her solo career, and just what my doctor ordered for me. And a certain band named Queen at ‘sound 10’, in the blossoming stages of their chart occupation with ‘Seven Seas Of Rhye’, one of their most notable songs. Great stuff and I am all ready to go.
  First act on show tonight is Mud with ‘The Cat Crept In’ and in Les Gray one of a high number of top class front men for bands in that age. There always seemed to be a happy party atmosphere when they were about, the moves, the exhilaration and in guitarist Rob Davis, someone who took his ‘glam’ frock- wearing more seriously than most. A big hitter to begin with then, and if they were having fun, you would have to be the most dreary of dunderheads not to feel the same. Certainly the crowd thought so, I’ll wager. The chummy togetherness, Rob with his back of the head guitar playing, and Les leading the line from the front. The hallmarks of a very good performance to start the show.
  But it is even bettered with the next act. Slade and their number 3 hit ‘Everyday’. If Les was a top vocalist and focal point, Noddy Holder was all points above. And Noddy gives a superb demonstration of his prowess and vocal ability in this number. Slade, who I will not need to remind anyone, were one of the top chart bands of this early/mid 70s period, with a succession of top 10 hits. Would the cat go ‘meeeeeow’ all way up to Bradford to see them, Noel? Yes, I reckon it would. ‘Everyday’ being one of their slower tempo hits, but still one of their best. Interesting to note the man in the bow-tie. Did he come to the wrong studio, or not understand the accepted dress code? Also not too sure of Noddy’s bass playing technique nor Dave Hill’s seemingly Japanese inspired outfit. But who cares? What a great performance, from an ace band with a high quality track. The raucousness in Noddy’s voice steers the song inimitably through the chorus. And the crowd are enjoying the turn as much as we should be at home. Yes, I like this very much. And probably a lot more than Mr. Bow-tie who scarpers off the scene just as the song ends. Sorry sir, ‘Going For A Song’ was in the studio on the left.
  Now we turn to Mungo Jerry and, I think, there last ever separate hit the ‘Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black’. A catchy tune fair enough, but a long cry away from their highlights such as ‘In The Summertime’. Ray ‘Mungo Jerry’ Dorset, still with trade mark sideburns, but all new players in the band, I suspect, mimes heroically through his performance, though he could have left the guitar at home, for all the use he makes of it. Some nice dancing from the crowd, including the lady in the black dress, who crops up on screen a couple of times. An enjoyable enough showing, I feel.
  Noel getting a kiss! Was that set up, or a surprise for our Mr. Tidybeard? I don’t know, but amusing then and half amusing now. I read no more into this incident than that! And the great numbers keep on coming. Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye with ‘You Are Everything’. As the pair are not in the Top Of The Pops studio, I wondered if maybe this was another possibility for a dance number. And in fact it was the subject of a long lost Pan’s People routine from 21st March 1974. Instead of the dancers, this time we are presented with one of the BBC commissioned films to go with the song- a charming little piece in fact. Shot out on location at various places by the coast and a stream, and with some footie on a beach, and symbolic barbed wire to boot. The featured actress seems suitably lovelorn and forsaken, to go with Diana’s and Marvin’s delicious vocals. The cad seems to be deliberately missing our starlet- I think she should stop pining for the bounder, and find another in his place. I am sure she deserved better.
  Time for the ‘one-bowls’- and yucky chocolate eggs. Humorous- was Noel! The Wombles, who seemed to descend onto British culture like a thunderbolt in the mid-1970s. From the Television programme onward, they were emblazoned across the consciousness of the nation. Created by Elizabeth Beresford and including the songs by Mike Batt, which in turn inspired the costumed characters as found here on TOTPs. Did you have a favourite? Mine was Orinoco, and I can always do with another ‘forty winks’. Here we have The Wombles as a folk-rock band, courtesy of Great Uncle Bulgaria on mandolin and Madame Cholet on fiddle. And backed by the younger Wombles- Bungo on drums, Wellington on guitar, Tomsk on saxophone, and Orinoco as the vocalist- I think! Anyway, only the most churlish could not have a good time when the Wombles are performing and the crowd certainly seem to do so on this occasion. Was I too old to be watching the Wombles when they first appeared in about 1973? No, you can never be too old for the Wombles. Orinoco and family would never hear of such a dilemma. Remember you ARE a Womble. We all are!
  The link after The Wombles is a reminder of the ‘Streaking’ craze which had recently arrived in the country, from the U.S.A, and would be much in the news at the time. If Great Uncle Bulgaria did streak, would that mean taking off all his fur- what does a Womble look like, stark naked? But this link leads us into a Pan’s People routine to the Chi-Lites and ‘Homely Girl’, as Noel’s number one fan so adroitly tells us. As this is a routine to be reviewed in fuller depth at some point in the near future, I will not go into great length here. Only to mention that it is a number I have enjoyed watching on a number of occasions, for the imagination and creativity in putting into together. And the undeniable magnificence of the members of Pan’s People, in both their ‘homely’ and ‘beautiful’ guises. Yes, it will be no surprise that this is a routine I like a lot, and will attempt to do the number full justice in my review whenever that day comes. Flick and the girls, at the top of the game, as so often they were during this period.
  Time now for the old squares. In the fast flowing music scene of the mid 1970s, Bill Haley and his Comets must have seemed like a relic from pre-history. Antediluvian even to all us youngsters. And very out of place in the glam-rock and early disco age of 1974. Yet, as Noel tells us, it had been only 20 years since the record was originally released in the U.S.A. And 19 since it had first been a hit in this country. So much had happened in the intervening 19 years, not least the coming of Elvis Presley and the true rock and rollers, to blow Bill and company out of the water. Not a day over 50, as Noel succinctly puts it. The group give a sound performance and the audience don’t seem to care too much about the passage of history. But it feels like his time is long gone here. A curiosity, a throwback. No doubt bought by many 40 year olds up and down the land trying to relive their youth. Us 50 year olds of today know how that feels!
  Can there have ever been any doubt that Abba were not destined for superstardom at some point? As with so many enormously talented artists, this may not have been instant, but was surely guaranteed. Unlike for so many winners, success at the Eurovision Song Contest was not the pinnacle only a beginning of a long and abundant career for the attractive Swedes. And at this early juncture here are Abba in the studio with winning entry ‘Waterloo’, one of the catchiest and most memorable songs in modern pop history, I reckon- not merely from winners of the contest, from a time when it was a seriously taken affair. And attired in the same costumes as the triumphant appearance, they show us exactly why there were to become such stars. Smooth, easy and very likeable for music fans of all types and ages, indeed. With Anni-Frid and Agnetha as very much the visual focal point and main singers, their finely tuned and practiced formula could only lead to one result on an appreciative world. And here they display all their talents to maximum effect. For the British public to enjoy. It might take them another 18 months to repeat the success for us, but it was bound to come. And that was of no consequence at this point. One particular male audience member. In a thinly hooped jumper seemed to enjoy them more than most, perhaps getting off a little too much, methinks.
  As Noel explains what the meaning of the name Abba ‘could’ be, he is joined by a trio of long-dressed lovelies, one of whom, on our left, looks remarkably like the featured actress in the ‘You Are Everything’ film, although that seems highly unlikely. And number one is Terry Jacks and ‘Seasons In The Sun’, a song I remember very well from the time. And particularly the Pan’s People dance to the track from a few weeks before. Here in a clip from a German Television show, Terry performs his mournful and dark song very movingly and evocatively. Not many songs with such downbeat lyrics concerning death and unattained dreams would reach such heights, I fear, so Mr. Jacks must be widely applauded for having done so on this occasion. Well Done, Terry! A good song that still resonates. So back to Noel, and his number one fan- again, as he announces the end of this week’s edition and the play out track of ‘Angel Face’ and The Glitter Band.
  Shown through a fish-eye lens in part, with ‘the man in the hooped jumper’ messing about again at the start, it is always a pleasure to watch the crowd dancing at this period in time. These were people like you and me, ordinary people out to have fun, and making sure they did so. And from my point of view, there is an interest in checking out some of the attractive female members of the crowd, for purely the most noble of reasons. I trust that is understood. I barely notice the song as it plays in the background. This has been a very good show, bringing back countless lovely old memories for this reviewer.
  Yes, this is how I remember Top Of The Pops from the 1970s. One great song or track after another. This is very good edition, indeed, and one worthy of showing to any body who is not sure that the programme was still at it’s peak in 1974. This has been a great pleasure to watch, and I have enjoyed watching enormously. My younger self warmly recommends to anybody out there to pull up a chair and take the time and opportunity to look at this, they will not be disappointed. That I am certain. Oh to be 13 again, in the Land of Yore.

GJB

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Back to 1974 I come.  Hi Mr Edmonds, nice hair Sir.  I'll go through my impression of the Show and may I say this era reflects the way I like to remember TOTP

(23) LIMMIE & THE FAMILY COOKIN’ – A Walkin’ Miracle :- A decent song, quite fun and yes Pans would have nailed it.
(8) MUD – The Cat Crept In :-  A joyful performance of a mediocre song, highlighting how far Glam Lead Guitarists had to be prepared to go to earn their daily bread in 1974.
(4) SLADE – Everyday :- Quite a departure for Slade but I like this song very much and Noddy's vocals are quite compelling.  Boring for the drummer though!
(36) MUNGO JERRY – Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black :-  Not my favourite song/performance but I do identify somewhat with the "every time I make a move she tell me no" line.
(7) DIANA ROSS & MARVIN GAYE – You Are Everything  (video) :- Bit of a dull song and a ponderous video.  Amazing that we could play footie in those massive flares in retrospect.  The Girl looked as if she would have benefitted from Social Media and I don't say that very often.
(20) THE WOMBLES – Remember You’re A Womble.  Quite fun I suppose although the Womble thing affected me in much the same way as the Teletubby phenomenon: bewilderment.
(22) THE CHI-LITES – Homely Girl  (danced to by Pan’s People) :-  A classic song and one of the best Pans performances of all.  So well done and if Cherry ever needs someone useless at fighting to defend her honour when the idiots say she looks better in the dark, I am instantly there.
(17) BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS – Rock Around The Clock :-  Struck me that we have gone so much further that this now with lots of our stars in their 70s.  It id seem anachronistic though.
(NEW) ABBA – Waterloo :-  Fantastic to watch early Abba and those two ladies are hypnotic.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.
(1) TERRY JACKS – Seasons In The Sun  :-  A little depressing but it is a good song and Terry performs it with grace.
(5) THE GLITTER BAND – Angel Face :-  I quite like this and did quite like the Glitter Band at the time (better than I liked GG himself at least).

I enjoyed this Show, including the at times almost amateurish coverage of the Audience.  I admit to squirming a bit when that young lady planted a kiss on Noel but I want to believe it was completely unscripted and I acknowledge my reaction highly affected by events not in evidence .  Many of the young ladies looked legitimately embarrassed to be filmed dancing and I find this reaction natural and appealing.  The music and performers were by and large good to hear and watch too.  Pans and Homely Girl beat Abba in the Final.  This Show gets 9/10 from me.  Thanks again Mikey

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

   Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye - You Are Everything  A nice slice of slick pop from the superstar pair. Unsurprisingly they are not in Shepherd's Bush to perform it. Instead we get a BBC film very loosely reflecting the lyrics. If Hanway2 is reading this, the girl in the vid is actress Claire Falconbridge, who played the phantom nun in the Menace episode "The Haunting", which remains the creepiest thing I have ever seen on a TV screen.

   I have read your review of this edition of TOTPs just moments ago, ER.
 Thank you for letting me know that this is the very lovely Claire Falconbridge from The Haunting. I did not know, and would not have recognised her out of a Nun's habit. What else do she appear in, as I cannot remember seeing her again?
  And it is good that there are at least two people in the world who remember the scariest programme ever to be shown on British Television.

Re: TOTP 11-4-74 With Noel Edmonds

Everything'sRosie
Hi Hanway2. I suppose Claire is most famous for playing Miranda Pollard in Crossroads around the late 70s/early 80s period. Quite a dull character until her hi-powered business people parents turn up, and then things became wonderfully silly. Sigh, I miss those days.
Queens of My Soul