TOTP 14/5/81...

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
...this edition is edited down to TWENTY minutes, both for the 730pm showing on Friday AND the late-night Saturday repeat.....what's that all about???
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill
That's all there was, or all they've got.

Cup Final related perhaps? Anyone got a May '81 Radio Times??
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Doc
It's a shortened version for the Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City Cup Final replay (one of the great finals). Now why they couldn't show a shortened version of the one with mute DJ links I don't know. Probably couldn't be arsed I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ahDUm6rLw
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill
I wonder who was dropped from the forty mins scheduled according to the RT.
And this would account for it being a Cup Final special on a Thursday night!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill wrote
 Anyone got a May '81 Radio Times??
The Genome project has. An OCR'ed version of all the editions are on line here http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/
They can't show scans of the originals because the BBC don't own the rights to them anymore!
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Doc
19:20 TOTP
20:00 Are You Being Served
20:30 Butterflies
21:00 Nine O'clock News
21:25 The Chinese Detective

I don't expect that anyone was dropped as the replay would have been known about the previous Saturday and the charts didn't come out until Tuesday.
The game would have been from 19:45 to roughly 21:45
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill
Doc wrote
Old Bill wrote
 Anyone got a May '81 Radio Times??
The Genome project has. An OCR'ed version of all the editions are on line here http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/
They can't show scans of the originals because the BBC don't own the rights to them anymore!
Such a shame you can't share it. There are some cracking old adverts in there. Tidy Beard on pg 25, 20th Nov 1978 is a gem!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Willoway
Trapped in my 1970s footbaall timewarp as I am (football obsessive 1978-82, zero interest afterwards), I would  have expected it to be 7:30 kick off finishing about 9:10. Ah to be drinking bovril from a plastic cup watching Tommy Tynan score a goal again....
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Doc
Back then the FA didn't bend over backwards for the TV companies. Evening kick offs were 19:45 and that was that! I think very occasionally they might have allowed it to be 15 minutes early for a league game if the club requested it.
These days it would probably be 20:05 to get EastEnders in and allow the viewers to make a cup of tea.
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Willoway
Think it was 7:30 across the board doc, 7:45 is new fangled to me. Here's a ticket I found via google confirming the time. It really feels in retrospect watching my local club aas a 10 year old that I was participating in something that was directly descended and rooted from the dawn of club football in the 1850s/60s; from what I see now, it's something different rooted from goodness knows where.

When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Doc wrote
It's a shortened version for the Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City Cup Final replay (one of the great finals).
I'm not so sure that PD and BB see it quite that way!

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

AC/PD
Coupled with Pauline's recent departure and a few other changes occurring, Spring '81 certainly wasn't the best of times, OGW.

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Back then it was usually 7:30pm unless stated, with the alternative being quarter-to-eight kick-offs.
It seems as if Top Of The Pops was shunted back to commence after Nationwide at 18:55, kicking Tomorrows World from its scheduled spot and into orbit.
With a short TOTP, the replay coverage would have commenced at 19:15,  allowing for very little in the way of build-up indeed.

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Willoway
Any football fans wanting more than just Abide With Me could probably have watched ITV, think it would have been Emmerdale back then normally at that time (if not on its summer break)  which would need to have been junked. Back then the final was on both channels.
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill
Pauline's Dimples wrote
Back then it was usually 7:30pm unless stated, with the alternative being quarter-to-eight kick-offs.
It seems as if Top Of The Pops was shunted back to commence after Nationwide at 18:55, kicking Tomorrows World from its scheduled spot and into orbit.
With a short TOTP, the replay coverage would have commenced at 19:15,  allowing for very little in the way of build-up indeed.
7.20 - 8pm was the regular time for the Pops back then PD, with TW at 6.55pm following NW at 6.20pm. Until June anyways, when Hitchhiker's Guide claimed the last 5mins.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Willoway
Nice site here focussing on ITV football http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/cupfinals.html

*This was the first FA Cup final replay to be held at Wembley and it proved to be one of the best cup finals ever. Both ITV and BBC1 showed it live, ITV were first on air at 7pm but were due to finish earlier (in time for Kenny Everett's show) at 9:30pm, ITV had the same team at Wembley as they had 5 days earlier (Davies presenting, Moore commentating, Charlton, Greaves and St.John summarising and Tyler interviewing). BBC1 began at 7:15pm (following a 20 minute edition of "Top of the Pops") with Bob Wilson and Lawrie McMenemy joining presenter Jimmy Hill and commentator John Motson, they were due to remain on air until 9:40pm..."
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

It looks like 19:45 being a regular KO time came in after Hillsborough to give people a bit more time to get there.
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Willoway
I'd guess it's live league football that caused a general switch from 7:30 to 7:45, plus the extension to 15 mins for half time.

I remember the old Hillsborough well, when I used to go, getting there on time not a problem, but getting out was a real crush at the Leppings Lane end.
When two strangers said to my shock, "You're on the wrong block"

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

zenon
This is how the line up may have looked as a full length show.

14/5/1981 - Presenter: Tommy Vance

Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready (24)
Sheena Easton – “When He Shines” (23) (rpt from 30/04/81)
Madness - Grey Day (4)
Quincy Jones – “Ai No Corrida” (16) (video)
Department S – “Is Vic There?” (22)
Smokey Robinson - Being With You (39) (Legs and Co)
The Teardrop Explodes – “Treason (It’s Just A Story)” (25)
Kim Carnes – “Bette Davies Eyes” (20) (video)
The Human League - The Sound Of The Crowd (27)
Tenpole Tudor – “Swords Of A Thousand Men” (10)
Adam & The Ants – “Stand & Deliver” (1) (video)
The Beat - "All Out To Get You" (audience dancing/credits) (26)

Re: TOTP 14/5/81...

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Good work Zenon!

But imagine though if this had been the line up...

14/5/1981 - Presenters: Pauline Peters and world arm-wrestling champ Mr PD.

Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready (24) (Legs and Co)
Sheena Easton – “When He Shines” (23) (Legs and Co)
Madness - Grey Day (4) (Legs and Co)
Quincy Jones – “Ai No Corrida” (16) (video) (Legs and Co)
Department S – “Is Vic There?” (22) (Legs and Co with Pan's People)
Smokey Robinson - Being With You (39) (Legs and Co)
The Teardrop Explodes – “Treason (It’s Just A Story)” (25) (Legs and Co)
Kim Carnes – “Bette Davies Eyes” (20) (Flick Colby solo dance)
The Human League - The Sound Of The Crowd (27) (Legs and Co)
Tenpole Tudor – “Swords Of A Thousand Men” (10) (Legs and Co)
Adam & The Ants – “Stand & Deliver” (1) (Legs and Co)
The Beat - "All Out To Get You" (Lulu and 9-year-old Old Bill / credits) (26)
Jeremiah 31:13
12