TOTP 15/4/76

Floid Fan
I can't watch this weeks trip down memory lane on Thurs, as I'm out of the country, but I've just watched it on youtube (well  all the individual performances posted up from this edition.) So DON'T READ ON, if you want to be surprised on Thursday by which acts are on TOTP.

Sailor and Fox are back on again, two weeks after their last appearance. Noosha is still doing her sexy little breathy gasps.
We get our first indication that the excitement of Ruby Flipper is just around the corner, with the appearance in the studio of the Stylistics singing 'Can't Help Falling in Love', which is of course, the very first song that the Flipsters would work their magic to in three short weeks. The Stylistics try to do a couple of dance moves too.
Mary is still looking uncomfortable to me in PP and she goes AWOL for their second routine. Both the PP routines were good, but the Disco Connection seemed rather short. Sue did some attractive twirling around in the Diana Ross number and Cherry ran around the blocks with great energy. I can see the exact point where Ryan got his Avatar from, with Sue bathed in a little blue light.
This week's 'Never Heard of' Award goes to the group Brass Construction with a funky tune called 'Movin' which has been largely forgotten.
The Three Degrees sang a forgettable ballad but they sang it well. Smokie, who seemed to be very prevalent in the mid and late 70s also sang a forgettable number.
I recognised the song 'Get Up and Boogie' as that has been played a lot on radio down the years as a disco oldie.Never knew who sung it though (Silver Convention)
DLT said that 1976 had been the year of the big production number, before introducing Eric Carmen who did a live performance of the absolute classic 'All by Myself'. I think DLT was right. If you think back the song 'Music' which is another epic song was also in the charts at the time.
Then we had Brotherhood of Man on video for a change, but still the same corny song. Is it really true that in 1976, the British public had to put up with 6 weeks of Brotherhood of Man, followed immediately after, by a couple of weeks of The Wurzels at number one?! I've hear that some people were SO relieved when The Real Thing's 'You to Me are Everything' ended all the nonsense.
All in all, an improvement on last week's show.
Carl

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Thanks Carl, i wont read on, but was the programme better than last week ?

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Floid Fan
Yes, Ryan. Better than last week's. And one of my favourite S-S-Singers is back! Oops, that was a little spoiler. I'll keep stumm now.
Carl

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Just checked out the running order on popscene, cant believe we are stuck with the same number one for anoter 2 weeks after this episode. Yeah Noosha is dead s-s-sexy alright.

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Interesting Carl that the repeat that the Beeb shown tonight had three songs missing from the original broadcast. The Three degrees- `A toast of love`,  The Beatles `Get Back`,  Silver Convention `Get up and boogie` all slashed from tonights show. This is a worrying development, dont want them not showing any of the girls performances.

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Anybody else notice a confussed and slighty lost looking DLT trying to do a little dance during the first number by Fox. Also in the Stylistics number why was one of the dudes sitting on a stool, to lazy to do the funny dance moves that his mates were doing i guess. I must admit i thought the Stylisitics were pretty good in this, were they singing live ? I think they were. Didnt go a bundle on Smokie, never really liked them. The Sailor song summed 1976 up, cheesy middle of the road stuff, it was acts like this that let the punk generation through the door. Eric Carmen was the stand out act on the show for me. Fox were not far behind him. The two PP dances were top drawer, dont know why Mary went awol in Disco connection. Better than last week, but do we need a new number one or what, have to wait till 6th of May for that with Abba and `Fernando`, but hold on, hasnt that also been around for weeks. Funny old year this 1976.

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Dave
Carl,do you remember when were discussing the attributes of Legs and Cos looks after the TOTPs True story went out and you interestingly questioned whether a group that maybe wernt so attractive would be as successful...Hida Bakers and Hattie Jakes types ? My other half mentioned a group that were famous for their" larger than life" personalities and looks.....ever heard of the Roley Poleys Dance Group ? They were hugely (no pun intended !)popular on tv.especially the good old Beeb,proving in a way that maybe good looks are not the only thing that makes groups successful......after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder !!      Dave

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Didnt they start out on Les Dawsons Show ?  Dave they were pretty awful, well in my eyes anyway, tell you what, you can have the RPs i will have L&C.

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

Dave
Hold on there, steady tiger ! No way am I jumping ship and changing sides !! Too much woman in the Roley Poley  group ( if you catch my drift ) so no thank you. We will all just have to share the Legs ........as Kenny Everett used to say....Its ALL in the best possible taste !    Catch up later mate.              Dave

Re: TOTP 15/4/76

JEZ
i bet ryan fancied mo really in the roly polys but is a little shy to say on here. she was the head girl of that particular dance troupe on the les dawson show
JEZ