TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (6/1/17 10 pm)

Top of the Pops 1983 Big Hits has been confirmed as the 6th January 2017 at 10pm straight after The Story of 1983 which is at 9pm. When the track listing is revealed I will post it here like I did for 1982.

They are now in chronological order.

Here is a list of performances that were played on the 1983 Big Hits show

Wham! - Bad Boys (02/06/83)
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (29/12/83)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (24/02/83)
Freeez - I.O.U. (21/07/83)
UB40 - Red Red Wine (25/12/83)
KC and the Sunshine Band - Give It Up (28/07/83)
Howard Jones - New Song (20/10/83)
Elton John - I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues (23/06/83)
Malcolm McLaren - Double Dutch (Dynamos Skipping) (28/07/83)
The Police - Every Breath You Take (26/05/83)
The Beat - Can’t Get Used To Losing You (19/05/83)
Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know? (23/03/83)
Paul Young - Love Of The Common People (24/11/83)
Mike Oldfield & Maggie Reilly - Moonlight Shadow (23/06/83)
Siouxsie and The Banshees - Dear Prudence (29/09/83)
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy (20/01/83)
Bananarama - Cruel Summer (28/07/83)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart (17/03/83)

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (06/01/17: 10 pm)

Legsfan
The Beeb is taking a very long time releasing the track listing. It should be in the next few days, but if it doesn't get released before the time, I will update this thread as the show progresses.

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (06/01/17: 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Of course there's much more to any musical year than the big hits or indeed TOTP. To put some flesh around the bones © Dancer here are my fave albums from 83:

China Crisis - Working With Fire And Steel - Possible Pop Songs Volume Two
The Dickies - Stukas Over Disneyland
John Foxx - The Golden Section
Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap
Steve Hillage - For To Next
Rupert Hine - The Wildest Wish To Fly
Bill Nelson - Chimera
Man Parrish - Hip Hop Bee Bop
Marc and the Mambas - Torment and Toreros
Soft Cell - The Art Of Falling Apart
Thompson Twins - Quick Step & Side Kick

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (06/01/17: 10 pm)

VintageVideos
I bought two of those, CC & H17.

Some more of my favourites:
Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock: maybe the best album of 83 for me, I love the fusion of styles
Tears For Fears - The Hurting: essential listening, inventive, melodic, emotional
Tracey Ullman - You Broke My Heart In 17 Places: pure pop perfection
U2 - War: a bit patchy but an album with songs like "New Year's Day" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" surely deserves a mention

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (06/01/17: 10 pm)

PattiForPM
Thanks Lads, I'll give one or two of those I haven't sampled a good listen.  Apart from the above my 1983 Album faves were Porcupine by Echo and the Bunnymen, Power Corruption and Lies by New Order and The Crossing by Big Country and I confess to really liking No Parlez  by Paul Young.  I should also mention that I managed to pick up a rare copy of a cruelly underselling album called Thriller (I forget the Artist)

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (THIS FRIDAY: 10 pm)

I hope the Bananarama one is Cruel Summer instead of Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.

Would have liked This Charming Man too

Still NO information about the performances, so I will update my chart as they are being broadcast :)

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (THIS FRIDAY: 10 pm)

Legsfan
Sorry I didn't manage to watch either shows last night. Will be updated shortly

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (6/1/17 10 pm)

Updated to show the songs that were shown. I will make an attempt at dates tomorrow

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (6/1/17 10 pm)

VintageVideos
Thanks Legsfan, the dates are all on Popscene already

http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=14111&st=0&#last

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (6/1/17 10 pm)

Legsfan
Thanks Vin. I have now added the dates, but the listing would have been more useful if the BBC had released the track listing before the show like they had done in previous 'Big Hit' shows. Hopefully 1984 is released well before it airs.

Re: TOTP: 1983 - Big Hits (6/1/17 10 pm)

Doc
Nice to see 5 performances from barred shows slipped through the net. They wouldn't have done that a year ago.