TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

It has been confirmed that Top of the Pops Story of 1984 and Big Hits 1984 are going to be shown on Friday, 2nd June 2017 from 9pm. Like last time I will have my usual thread with a preview of what performances are going to be on the show.

Here is a list of performances that were played on the 1984 Big Hits show in order.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
Nik Kershaw- I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Madonna - Holiday
Duran Duran - The Reflex
Miami Sound Machine - Dr Beat
The Smiths - Heaven Know's I'm Miserable Now
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Bananarama - Robert De Niro's Waiting
Black Lace - Agadoo
The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men
Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Sade - Your Love Is King
Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Alison Moyet - Love Resurrection
The Style Council - Shout It To The Top
Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It For The Boy
George Michael - Careless Whisper

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks for the news Legsfan. I hope they've had the good sense to be generous with the amount of performances from banned editions.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Yes, thanks LF. Sadly the BBC does not have a good record on checking what we'll miss on the regular shows and salvaging some of the performances for the Big Hits compilation.

A quick check reveals Madonna's first studio performance is a casualty. It's unthinkable this won't make it onto Big Hits.
Other gems are far more uncertain. With never repeated studio performances we have the likes of:

Smiths X 2: What Difference Does It Make/William, It Was Really Nothing
Madness: One Better Day
Scritti Politti: Wood Beez
Echo and The Bunnymen: The Killing Moon

Ouch.

Some fantastic stuff there. Let's hope the bods putting the compilation together are music fans. I live in hope rather than expectation though.

Thanks Mike Smith

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Wood Beez would be one of the first performances down if I were to draw up a wish list for this compilation. Love Scritti Politti. And they're a favourite of Sue's, I believe.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

PattiForPM
SP have one particularly apt song we have discussed before on here.  Losing What Difference Does It Make hurts me most of those listed but I agree there are some painful potential lost hits in 1984

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

AC/PD
I'd go with '88's Oh Patti for memories.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

PattiForPM
Me too!

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

And, of course, Miles Davis played trumpet on Oh Patti. Which is another reason to love it.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Mikey
30/08/84 (Richard Skinner & Mike Smith, with Simon Bates & Jimmy Savile on a train)

Oh and another + 1 for WoodBeez and Oh Patti too

If i had to pick a favourite id probably choose Self Control by Laura Brannigan.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Oh great. No mention of Scritti Politti to name but one but never mind we've got Agadoo.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

The Rubberband Man
Gorgeous Daze wrote
Oh great. No mention of Scritti Politti to name but one but never mind we've got Agadoo.

...but, on the other hand, we get The Weather Girls – “It’s Raining Men” which is Homer Simpson's favourite song

^^^ (start at 0:57) ^^^

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Hallelujah!

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Legsfan
First post updated to reflect the track listing being revealed.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Everything'sRosie
As predicted the Madonna performance is rescued from the banned shows. Nice to see The Killing Moon making it too. On the negative side, although there are two Smiths performances on banned shows they're showing a performance which isn't from a banned show. Suppose the "Big Hits" title is taken literally and only top ten tracks of the time make it regardless of the reputation a record might have gained since.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Legsfan wrote
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
Is 'Relax' still banned then?

Actually Two Tribes is probably the better record anyway.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Everything'sRosie wrote
On the negative side, although there are two Smiths performances on banned shows they're showing a performance which isn't from a banned show. Suppose the "Big Hits" title is taken literally and only top ten tracks of the time make it regardless of the reputation a record might have gained since.
A particularly lazy/stupid decision considering The Smiths' consistency. As for Big Hits being defined as those in the top ten, both literal and artistic credibility were destroyed by the inclusion of The Bucket Of Water Song in 1980's compilation, it reached the dizzy height of Number 26. At least it was Yewtree'd.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Dancer
Wow some good hits there and no Beatles!  Hooray!!  Fantastic that we see Madonna.  Her early eighties stuff was fantastic.

It will be good to see some of those performances that won't be on the main shows, though some that i would have liked to have seen aren't included sadly.

Re: TOTP: 1984 - Big Hits (2/6/17 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Hmm. I was going to compile a list of my fave albums of 84 as I have for other years, but I don't seem to have enough to form one. It would just be a list of albums I've bought, and that's not good enough. I might just have enough to scramble one for 85 but I think this does show I was beginning to fall out of love for good with the contemporary scene.

If pressed I think I'd choose Soft Cell's supposed swansong 'This Last Night In Sodom' and Marc Almond's emerging solo debut 'Vermin In Ermine' as my top two of this year.