TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Now official on the BBC website, Top of the Pops: 1985 - Big Hits is happening! Although the track listing isn't going to be revealed probably until after the show, the synopsis does drop some clues. Below is a list of what is on the show.

Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
A-Ha - Take On Me
Eurythmics - There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
Wham! - Everything She Wants
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Doug E. Fresh - The Show
Jennifer Rush - The Power Of Love
Colonel Abrams - Trapped
The Cure - In Between Days
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero
Sister Sledge - Frankie
Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home
Phyllis Nelson - Move Closer
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
Feargal Sharkey - A Good Heart

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Everything'sRosie
Yay, the return of Kate Bush. The Hounds of Love is probably my favourite album of all time (certainly in my Top 3) and Running Up That Hill is the first of a brilliant run of singles pulled from it.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm this time last year, I actually ended up quite enjoying 1984. Some good stuff coming up in 85 too.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

CoffeeThing
Oooh, I remember a particular Summer day in Guernsey in 1985 with Running Up That Hill playing in a shop. Funny how some memories stick profoundly for no discernible reason. Great song, that may be the reason I suppose. Also remember Everybody Wants To Rule The World suddenly blaring out of the hitherto silent tannoy an hour before the football was due to start. Happy days.
This week, I are be mostly watching the third place play-off

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Who's That Hurll
Surely they will have Strawberry Switchblade and 'Since Yesterday'? One of the biggest and best songs of the year and both appearances are Smittied.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Everything'sRosie
Who's That Hurll wrote
Surely they will have Strawberry Switchblade and 'Since Yesterday'? One of the biggest and best songs of the year and both appearances are Smittied.
You would think so, but the compilers don't have a good track record. The Big Hits shows give them the perfect opportunity to lift songs from banned shows, but usually we just get performances we're going to see anyway.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

My favourite albums of this year:

Marc Almond OBE: Stories Of Johnny. Continuing on his tormented path and still doing nicely (only art allows this contradiction) without Dave Ball's synths.

Kate Bush: Hounds Of Love.  Aside from Cloudbusting I'm not particularly taken with 'the pop Side', but Side 2 is on another level and very immersive.

The Damned : Phantasmagoria. Dave Vanian was able to move the band in a gothier direction following the good Captain's departure. It strikes winning ground between pop and alternative.

DATA: Elegant Machinery. Third album from Georg Kajanus's post-Sailor project (with remaining contribution from Mr Dee Dee!). Like Abba might have sounded had they continued and continued getting more electronic. Inevitably not as good, but no shame in that.

XTC as their psychedelic alter egos The Dukes Of Stratosphear: 25 O'Clock. Spot on sixties pastiche.

John Foxx : In Mysterious Ways. Fourth solo album, before becoming the hidden man for ten years. Though his famous synths are still among the mix this romantic pastoral offering is as far removed from his austere urban debut as the South Downs are from London.

Propaganda: A Secret Wish. Epic dark pop with widescreen production. You've heard the best but the rest should by no means be ignored. A great pity this line-up disintegrated soon after.

Scritti Politti: Cupid & Psyche 85. A collision of two musicians inspired to their peak. Green's heavenly voice and wordplay with David Gamson's intricate electronic wizardry made this one of the crucial albums of the decade.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Legsfan
Still no track listing, but I look forward to the hits of 1985. I must admit that I am more excited for 1981 than 1985.
The hits will be listed during the show.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Aside from The Smiths and The Cult a selection which hardly inspired enthusiasm in me for the year ahead. But I do appreciate it is Big Hits.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

VintageVideos
Yep I recorded it yesterday but I don't feel the urge to actually watch it anytime soon.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Aside from The Smiths and The Cult a selection which hardly inspired enthusiasm in me for the year ahead. But I do appreciate it is Big Hits.
As well as The Smiths and The Cult, I'll add Kate Bush, who brought the Wow factor back to the TOTPs studio. As ever, a mesmerising performance.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

PattiforPM
I must be weakening but I actually quite like nearly all of them!

Same thing happens every year. You'd think they would check the shows they know will be banned, but no.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Who's That Hurll wrote
Surely they will have Strawberry Switchblade and 'Since Yesterday'? One of the biggest and best songs of the year and both appearances are Smittied.
Thinking on what a loss Strawberry Switchblade are from the Smittied 10/1 edition, I came upon this embarrassing performance of Since Yesterday from Rose McDowell just over three years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12geVvjiAE

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Everything'sRosie
Yes, that was a bit painful. A beautiful girl in her day, though the BBC have presumably decreed that is not reason enough to show their performance on the Big Hits compilation, because that would be sexist, wouldn't it!

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Gorgeous Daze
BBC Four did include their performance of Since Yesterday from The Oxford Road Show on their 'Goth At The BBC' compilation of 2015. The irony being if you didn't see them no-one would ever call it goth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx-69u6LruI (29:06)

Ah, thanks for that, GD. Indeed, calling them goth is stretching it a bit. Must say I was rather more interested in the clip immediately preceding it. Killing Joke performing the classic Love Like Blood, which I believe we WILL be seeing on the 85 repeats.

Re: TOTP: 1985 - Big Hits (5/1/18 10pm)

Gorgeous Daze
Great! Love Like Blood is a scintillating record.
Steve