TOTP: 1986 - Biggest Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

Top of the Pops: 1986 - Big Hits has been confirmed for Friday, 6th July at 10pm after The Story of 1986. No info from the BBC website yet, so watch this space!
WHAM! – Edge Of Heaven  (TOTP 26-6-86)
BILLY OCEAN – When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going (TOTP 13-2-86)
THE BANGLES – Walk Like An Egyptian (TOTP 9-10-86)
FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS – Suspicious Minds (TOTP 16-1-86)
CYNDI LAUPER – True Colors (TOTP 23-10-86)
THE CURE – Boys Don’t Cry (TOTP 8-5-86)
FIVE STAR – Can’t Wait Another Minute (TOTP 24-4-86)
THE COMMUNARDS – Don’t Leave Me This Way (TOTP 4-9-86)
FARLEY “JACKMASTER” FUNK – Love Can’t Turn Around (TOTP 4-9-86)
THE HOUSEMARTINS – Happy Hour (TOTP 3-7-86)
THE REAL THING – You To Me Are Everything (TOTP 20-3-86)
KIM WILDE – You Keep Me Hangin’ On (TOTP 13-11-86)
CAMEO – Word Up (TOTP 18-9-86)
THE HUMAN LEAGUE – Human (TOTP 28-8-86)
THE PRETENDERS – Don’t Get Me Wrong (TOTP 23-10-86)
CHRIS DE BURGH – The Lady In Red (TOTP 17-7-86)
BON JOVI – Livin’ On A Prayer (TOTP 6-11-86)

Thanks to Popscene for the list.

It looks like we're still continuing with the repeats, so we might even make it into the 90s!

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

NickGregory92
Thanks for the heads up, Legsfan. Great to see that the BBC4 repeats look set to continue into 1986 (and hopefully beyond).

Although ‘86 looks set to be another exciting year for music, the ongoing Mike Smith debacle means there are at least 16 episodes we will sadly miss out on. This year also marks the end of the cheerleader dancers, as they will soon be axed from the show for good. And the familiar ‘Yellow Pearl’ theme tune music is dropped in favour of Paul Hardcastle’s ‘The Wizard’, as part of a refresh of the show’s opening titles.

Nevertheless, I’m very much looking forward to it.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

Everything'sRosie
As always it will be interesting to see this show. And I'm sure the makers (as always) will ignore the once only performances on the banned shows.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

NickGregory92 wrote
 This year also marks the end of the cheerleader dancers, as they will soon be axed from the show for good. And the familiar ‘Yellow Pearl’ theme tune music is dropped in favour of Paul Hardcastle’s ‘The Wizard’, as part of a refresh of the show’s opening titles.
Some refreshment was definitely needed at this point,  but to quote The Famous Five those are not what I'd call wizard ideas.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

Yes, if only they would make a programme containing those one-offs affected by all the various bans and vetoes.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

NickGregory92 wrote
Although ‘86 looks set to be another exciting year for music, the ongoing Mike Smith debacle means there are at least 16 episodes we will sadly miss out on.
That's disappointing to hear as that's lot of episodes to not be shown. I'm sure Mike Smith did a lot of really good television work, but there is a possibility his legacy is going to end up being this "debacle" as you put it NickGregory92, unless the parties concerned decide they can come to an amicable agreement on how to move forward (if a will to do so is there).

Some performances that fall foul of the Mike Smith no licence thing are The Smiths -"Panic", Steve Winwood - "Higher Love", Sting - "Russians", Level 42 - "Lessons in Love", and some other stuff by Samantha Fox.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

Gorgeous Daze
The Rubberband Man wrote
some other stuff by Samantha Fox.
So we're missing out on, er, two...at least? Typical!

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

zenon
Here's the full list of what we'll be missing for 1986.

Performances that won't be on BBC Four in any form

Feargal Sharkey - You Little Thief
King - Torture
The Alarm - Spirit of '76
Nana Mouskori - Only Love (gutted! not)
Blow Monkeys - Digging Your Scene
Hipsway - The Honeythief
Freddie Jackson - Rock Me Tonight (For Old Times' Sake)
Culture Club - Move Away
Samantha Fox - Touch Me
Tippa Irie - Hello Darling
Art of Noise with Duane Eddy - Peter Gunn
Bronski Beat - C'mon C'mon
Bryan Ferry - Is Your Love Strong Enough?
Maxi Priest - Strollin' On
Joyce Sims - All And All
Status Quo - Rollin' Home
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - 20th Century Boy
Lovebug Starski - Amityville
Status Quo - Red Sky
Lulu - Shout
Samantha Fox - Hold On Tight
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
Madness - Waiting For The Ghost Train
Bob Geldof - This Is The World Calling
Communards - So Cold The Night
Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down

Missed performances that we will see on video

Sinitta - So Macho
A-Ha - Cry Wolf

Missed performances that we will see as an audio/video playlist.

Bananarama - Venus (also we will see as a breaker)
Status Quo - In The Army Now
Wham - The Edge Of Heaven (not until the Xmas show)

Missed performances that we will see as breakers

Jennifer Rush - Ring Of Ice
Princess - I'll Keep On Loving You
Level 42 - Lessons In Love
Steve Winwood - Higher Love
Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms
Spandau Ballet - Through The Barricades
Dexys Midnight Runners - Because Of You

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

PattiforPM
Thanks for compiling this complete list Zenon.  I must say seeing this makes me feel that I am belatedly joining the SF club of popular music appreciation.  I would miss hardly any of these to be honest; maybe Bananarama,  Steve Winwood and Cutting Crew from the partly seen group but really only Blow Monkeys and a stretch for the Psych Furs from the altogether misses.  I wonder whether there's much that we do see that I'll be glad of?

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

`Digging Your Scene` by The Blow Monkeys is right up there with my favourite tracks from the 80s. I watch the promo vid for it on YouTube often. Seems any Sam Fox fans will be left disappointed looking at your list Zenon, not once but twice. Not often you could say that about her !

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

Everything'sRosie
Equally gutted we won't be seeing Digging Your Scene, one of the best records of the 80s. I don't know what the line-up is for the Big Hits compilation, but here's hoping. Unfortunately though, seeing as DYS stalled at No.12 it's unlikely as in the past anything outside the Top Ten doesn't get considered.

Re: TOTP: 1986 - Big Hits (6/7/18 10pm)

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
Unfortunately though, seeing as DYS stalled at No.12 it's unlikely as in the past anything outside the Top Ten doesn't get considered.
In that case, we might see Samantha Fox in Big Hits – 1986. “Touch Me (I Want Your Body)” got to #3

Biggest loss for me though is The Psychedelic Furs “Pretty In Pink”. The 1986 release was a rerecording of the 1981 version to better suit the soundtrack to the John Hughes film that the record inspired.
All bound for Lulu Land