TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

20-3-75:   Presenter:  Tony Blackburn

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VbgMTuVH8X7tT_BC30DCcxdrXctFm_ST

(8) KENNY – Fancy Pants
(4) GUYS & DOLLS – There’s A Whole Lot Of Loving
(23) THE GOODIES – Funky Gibbon
(NEW) THE TYMES – Someway Somehow I’m Keeping You
(5) BARRY WHITE – What Am I Gonna Do With You  (danced to by Pan’s People, Yay!!)
(6) AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Pick Up The Pieces  (video)
(NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – It’s Only Me You Left Behind
(29) WIGAN’S OVATION – Skiing In The Snow
(NEW) LULU – Take Your Mama For A Ride
(9) THE MOMENTS & THE WHATNAUTS – Girls
(34) MIKE REID – The Ugly Duckling
(1) BAY CITY ROLLERS – Bye Bye Baby
(28) THE OSMONDS – Having A Party  (and credits)

Tony Blackburn probably needs no introduction but I'm going to anyway!, the ex pirate radio Caroline DJ joined the beeb in the late 60's, and had been one of the highest profile presenters on both radio and TV ever since. His relaxed if slightly cheesy presenting style has done him no harm over the years and here he is still one of the 'regulars' to present the show in 1975.

Kicking us off in jovial style are Kenny, a bit of a strange name for a band, perhaps if Kenny was a real person he'd be the friendly chap down the pub, the life and soul of the party, who knows. Well fancy pants is a bit silly really, but at least the band have entered into the spirit and worn their own fancy 'patchwork' pants, anyway lads surely you must mean trousers unless you're American.

Who said music had to be serious anyway?, not the music buying public in 1975 thats for sure as the rest of this show will testify, so lets go on. Cheery cabaret style act Guys & Dolls next looking very 1975 (those collars!!) and Tony seems to be raving about this one for some reason although I'm not keen, its ok but pretty standard fare. Right, who's on next? Oh gawd no, Its Gibbon Time!.

I'm kidding, who doesn't like The Goodies? 3 middle aged blokes given free reign to prat about on national television, thats the stuff of dreams. This isn't the version gatecrashed by Pan's People sadly but the first version without them. So the funky gibbon is actually a dance created by the Goodies that if you are that way inclined you can join in and do the actions too, like Black Lace a decade early. In a weird way this disco cash in tune actually is funky. The Goodies released a number of records in this era, sadly I've yet to hear the others, but I'm sure they were all winners

After that nonsense I hope nobody has gibbon up as The Tymes are on and looking very dapper in those pink suits. Well done to anyone that knows this tune, me? not a clue, but on initial impressions i like it, but i guess this was following on from Ms Grace (a classic indeed and a tough act to follow) probably doesn't live up to its predecessor. Barry White isn't here, no surprise there, so Pan's People are dancing to 'What Am I Gonna Do With You', with a lovely shot of Cherry to kick off proceedings then with all the ladies filing in backwards into a swirling, smokey dream of a routine, with lots of overlays, running around and moody blue lighting. I've never had much of a chance to talk about the sets of 1975, however this year sees a lot of routines set on the studio floor itself, thus opening up the space a little more, sometimes with the audience present and sometimes (as in this case) without. At least that does give the year a distinctive look, like with the starry lights the previous year. Barry always seems a bit overexcited on this record to me, well he does love the laydeez doesn't he?, and when it comes to Flick's dancers so do I.

Average White Band?, average boring video more like which is a shame as this track is really good, especially when Pan's People are dancing to it as they were a couple of weeks earlier in fetching denim shorts but that's not on this show, bah!. Next!!

Cliff Richard is back on TOTPs for the 400th time (or is the 401st?), and even he has succumbed to the funk, albeit watered down to suit his style. Probably not much of a hit, but thanks for trying Cliff, see you next week. Here are some guys that look very 1975, Wigans Ovation (who?) what on earth is this all about?, skiing in the snow?, eh? what? can we have Kenny back on please?, how many question marks is overkill for one sentence???. Perhaps this song will grow on me, I'll let you know by 1977. Hopefully the show isn't going downhill from here...

...skiing...downhill...ok never mind.

Lulu, alas no longer the 60s cutie although presumably still popular enough and still had media clout to regularly appear on one show or another. Like Cliff earlier at least she tries to move with the Tymes, sorry times, and go a little disco, but nobody is really that interested now are they Lulu?.

Now this is more like it The Moments without their Whatnauts as Tony explains, clearly upping the anti from The Tymes in the soul group fashion stakes by wearing horrible shiny open chested suits (I've got mine on order). I like this track because basically its one of those 'you couldn't get away with that now' records and all the better for it even if its a pile of old fromage. This is probably my favourite bit of the show so far, well done lads. Have i mentioned Pan's People yet?, probably, ok well in 2 weeks time they will dance to this in a 'technological marvel' now you see them, now you don't style.

Of course the BBC are just teasing us. They have waited until nearly the end of the show to play their trump card, of course I'm talking about The Ugly Duckling 'sang' by cockernee geezer Mike Reid. You probably last sang this when you were about five years old, Mike is considerably older than five and delivers this with a menace perhaps unfitting to such a gentle song. Basically the message seems to be, Oi! buy my song or I'll send the boys round. How did this version even come into existence anyway, one of the great mysteries of life.

Never in a month of Sundays will I be a fan of BCR or The Osmonds (or any of their solo offshoots), so in essence the final 2 tracks i can probably do without  Bye Bye Baby is the much superior effort but i do find the vocals a little on the weedy side, a worthy number one? yes in a 'perfectly marketed to teenage girls spending their pocket money on a Saturday' sort of way.

Those cheeky Osmonds end the show with some sort of phoned in video of which we only get to see a short bit as it wrestles with the captions, lucky us.

Bye Bye Baby, Bye Bye Osmonds, Bye Bye Pan's People and Bye Bye Tony Blackburn. Until next time. Ok where are my skis?

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Just to add an additional bit of research regarding those 1975 studio floor based routines, i could only find 2 without an audience What Am I Gonna Do With You and Space Oddity. Those with an audience were as follows:

Boogie On Reggae Woman
Pick Up The Pieces
Philadelphia Freedom
Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right
The Night
Rock On Brother

They also painted some nice geometric style patterns on the floor, such as here in Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right, although i'm not sure if this was done for The Night yet.

It seems after The Night, they didn't bother with the audience much for quite a long period as Rock On Brother is a good 5 months later. Of course Ruby Flipper made good use of this the following year.

I can't think of any routines prior to 1975 that were only using the studio floor, yes Hot Love and I Think of You both use the floor part of the time, but if anyone can name another that would be great.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
Here we go with the always enthusiastic Tony.

And the opener has Kenny singing about a girl known for her elaborate trousers. Their own trousers would have come in handy for checking the colour signal, alas, in our house we were still watching in B&W. So onto Guys & Dolls for the second week running (in these OFTDs repeats that is). Sounds like this was an American song picked up by The G&Ds going by the lyrics. Dollar are marginalised to the sides of the stage. Come on cameraman, don't you recognise star quality when you see it!

So to the first of two comedy records on tonight's show, The Goodies bring us The Funky Gibbon. Nice to see Messrs Oddie, Garden and Brooke-Taylor putting that Oxbridge education to good use. And no, Mr Blackburn, as already inferred, in our house we didn't have BBC2. In my experience such things were for posh people like, um...The Goodies. Lots of American vocal groups back then dressed identically, and The Tymes who were on next were typical of the trend. Not sure about those pink whistles.

Back on familiar territory we get Pans dancing to Barry White. Typical BW number really. The girls look amazing in their evening dresses, but a little too much dry ice for me. Ah, so it's Blackburn's fault I spent the best part of three decades thinking The Average White Band were American. Time I'll never get back. He'll be hearing from my solicitor for stress caused etc etc.

For some reason the BBC felt obliged to promote any old dross put out by Sir Cliff Of Richard back in the mid-70s. Not just dross, but embarrassing dross. I need some sort of tonic after that. Oh dear, not what I was looking for. Northern Soul was big in Wigan back then (I'm told) but it seems to have passed by some of the town's residents. How else can you explain Wigan's Ovation. Listen, you lot. We'll decide what's worthy of ovation. Hold out in there, kids. Punk is only 12 months away.

So to Lulu, unfortunately for us the other Lulu. She looks dreadfully unhip, even for 1975. A clear case of premature middle-age setting in. A rubbish song confounds matters more. However, relief is at hand with the excellent Moments & Whatnauts not the full compliment according to Tone, doesn't matter, these cool dudes get things back on track. Tremendous record. Love it.

So to the other comedy record. Top geezer Mike Reid presents us with The Ugly Duckling. Unlike The Funky Gibbon, I found this genuinely funny. Some killer lines: "I'll feel compelled to hang one on your beak". Or "top man of the swans". Or "gonna be the guv'nor". Great stuff. I was still laughing when The Bay City Rollers turned up. But not for long. Jeez, this was really feeble. And as soon as this finished we crashed straight into The Osmonds...arrrgh!

This show serves as a wonderful time capsule. I might have sounded facetious at some points, but I loved it really. Thanks for the upload, Mikey.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
Dollar are marginalised to the sides of the stage. Come on cameraman, don't you recognise star quality when you see it!
Councillor Van Day certainly appears to have some recognizable quality for folk in Essex.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47666031

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie

Now let's get him to sort Brexit it out with his smooth inoffensive pop.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Not too bad a show and ya gotta love the enthusiasm Tony exudes. Thing is, there were some top names on the show singing records i just cant recall. Thanks for bringing this to us Mikey.
KENNY – Fancy Pants  -- Cheesy pop, when looking ridiculous was considered an asset, i fancy a bowl of Kellogg's Special K now. Gotta admit, the song is very catchy back then and even oddly still. 7.5 out of 10.

GUYS & DOLLS – There’s A Whole Lot Of Loving -- Nice song, though once again crappy camera work means we dont see enough Dolls, and to much of the main Guy.  7 out of 10.

THE GOODIES – Funky Gibbon -- Yep love these fellas. Who was your favourite, mine was TBT aided by the fact hes supports my home football club. Great Gibbon fun.  7.5 out of 10.

THE TYMES – Someway Somehow I’m Keeping You  -- Can't remember this at all, instantly forgettable. Not my thing at all. 5 out of 10.

AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Pick Up The Pieces -- Classic tune, smooth on the ears. We all love a sax. 9 out of 10.

CLIFF RICHARD – It’s Only Me You Left Behind  -- Another song from Cliff i just can't recall. Though i have to admit my feet were tapping away to this and it was okayish. 8 out of 10.

WIGAN’S OVATION – Skiing In The Snow  -- They looked terrible, one of them looked like he'd been dragged through an hedge. Very catchy song though, even if it was frowned upon from the hardcore Northern Soulers. 8.25 out of 10.

LULU – Take Your Mama For A Ride  -- The wee lassie looked great. Whats not to like about anyone called Lulu with Cutey pie hair. Well apart from this instantly forgettable song that is. 6 out of 10.

THE MOMENTS & THE WHATNAUTS – Girls  -- Nice song, though the singer strolling around made it a difficult job for the cameramen. 7.5 out of 10.

MIKE REID – The Ugly Duckling -- How does this stuff get on the show. Though Mike Read did a fine job delivering this dead duck of a tune. 6 out of 10.

BAY CITY ROLLERS – Bye Bye Baby  -- Best thing the grinning Scots did. Very catchy tune and worthy of top spot. 9.25 out of 10.

THE OSMONDS – Having A Party  (and credits)  -- I don't mind The Osmonds, but their glory days were well behind them. Maybe fading away with the credits is about right. 5 out of 10.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Can't believe i forgot the dance routine .

BARRY WHITE – What Am I Gonna Do With You  (danced to by Pan’s People, Yay!!) -- Lovely dresses, not a bad song, nice dance moves, but the hanging black stuff, dry ice and distant shots go against making this a real stand out for me. Think im about at 8.5 out of 10.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Thanks guys, looks like we are roughly on the same page with regards to the good, the bad and the ugly duckling.

Yes sorry EverythingsRosie for inflicting guys and dolls again, purely coincidental I'll steer clear next time.

Here is the Mud soundalike Black Pudding Bertha on some kids show, the follow up to Funky Gibbon, and even sillier if that was possible, heck i laughed a few times, ee by gum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0U7UjP_6g

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie
The kid's show looked like The Bay City Rollers vehicle Shang-a-lang. I thought Black Pudding Bertha was quite funny. Released to cash in on the Ecky-Thump phenomenon, no doubt. My favourite film of the genre was Pudding Of Fury.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

The Rubberband Man
Does anybody know what the metal box thing does that a stage hand is pushing about amongst the audience? He's pushing it into position at the start of Guys and Dolls' performance and you see it again when Wigan's Ovation are on.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Doc
Not seen this show for a while, but it’s a real mix of just about everything that TOTP was known for in the 70’s.
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

The Rubberband Man wrote
Wow thats a good spot TRBM. Im tempted to say its some sort of camera that takes low shots at audience level, especially as it has a light on top of it. I will endeavour to find out.

I thought it might be a machine that scrolls the lyrics in case the singer forgets them, and so avoiding the need for the Director to do a retake. I really don't know though.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Everything'sRosie wrote
The kid's show looked like The Bay City Rollers vehicle Shang-a-lang.
Well remembered.

Its interesting in the repeat shown later with the extra bits added they are indeed wearing those oversized flat caps, whilst 'mingling' with the audience.

Now i may be biased but i think Cherry makes the best Gibbon, and i wont be saying that very often.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

   It is March 1975. And Tony Blackburn leads us straight into the charts. John Lennon at number 30! The Elton John Band- featuring Elton John, Duane Eddy with the very fine looking Rebelettes, and I believe that Frankie Valli is stalking me now. But Noosha Fox is there to make everything better, with the ‘Tartan Army’ at number 1. I could not remember at first if I watched this back in the day, very likely I did, and something coming on later confirmed that, to my horror.
   Kenny- and their multi-coloured technicolour trousers. Which would have been completely lost on me, watching at home in black and white. And did ‘Special K’ give permission for them to use their logo? I notice several girls in the audience with tartan scarves, so we know who they are waiting for. But about Kenny I can find little to say. A fun record which will quickly disappear from the memory. Cheap throwaway pop from the mid ‘70s. And you have to admire Tony Blackburn’s enthusiasm, which I feel will become very sorely tested during this edition. Mine certainly would be.
   Oh great! Guys and Dolls are on next, and a chance for me to do some more Martine Howard watching. It would seem I am in the company of those that would prefer to spot  David Van Day, well each to their own, that must mean more Martine for me. To be fair, I never saw the appeal of Guys and Dolls at the time, here with their first hit and singing about places they had never been to. Typical Light Entertainment fodder, and not much else. The men always looked ridiculous and would have been best sealed in a barrel with some Icelandic cod poured over them. But the women were always nice- especially my Martine, singing joint lead in this. I’d take her on a tour of the United States if she asks.
   The Goodies are now on- and a reminder to me that I always knew that Price Charles’ marriage to Diana was bigamous as I had definitely seen him marry Tim Brooke-Taylor on television earlier. Poor Tim- to be discarded so! I used to enjoy watching The Goodies as a fun show from the time, but many of them were of their time, and unlikely to be looked on favourably in the modern age, especially the episode with Rolf Harris running about in a Safari Park. Which on checking, was the very edition before this Top Of The Pops and referenced by Tony in his introduction. A good fun number of the day. And the audience look like they are having fun- mostly. And it is evident that the process of paying less attention to the dancers in the crowd has already started, a major turn-around from the earlier policy on the show.
   I wonder what the Tymes were making of all this malarkey? Just off the back of their enormous and very well known hit ‘Ms Grace’. Surprisingly, the song ‘Someway, Somehow I’m Keeping You’ did not attract the U.K market in the same way. Nattily dressed in salmon-pink suits, with the moves of a well-rehearsed professional outfit. And a good song to back it all up. A minor lost soul number, more in keeping with what Tony Blackburn would have listened to, I reckon. A reasonable performance, and one of the best numbers in the whole show.
   Now it’s ‘oneforthefellas’- our alternative name- and Pan’s People, dancing to ‘What Am I Gonna Do With You’ by Barry White. Again a routine I will comment upon in more depth when I come round to the number in the Pan’s review section. Therefore, just a brief mention that I was never a great fan of the growly vocals of ‘The Walrus of Love’, but can recognise his position as a Soul great. About Pan’s, I think that apart from the opening line up shot, starting with the fantastic Cherry, the girls are lost too much in the dry ice, smoke and stage obstructions, to be one of their best routines. All of them look very good in their long white halter-neck dresses though, even if the camera work, as seen, looks very shaky and not flowing at all well.
  What are you talking about Tony? These are some of the funkiest Scotsmen since King James IV! It is the Average White Band- average in name but not in output. And featuring their famous AWB logo on the drums- would they be allowed that today I wonder? Perhaps this was filmed in the States, if that is what confused our Tony. A smooth tight, and obviously live performance on film. And undoubtedly one of the best parts of the show for me. Little more to be said, apart from they are still going, in a way, even if few of the original members remain. Also, when was this filmed? Not being completely knowledgeable on the band members, can anyone confirm if the drummer was Robbie McIntosh who died at a party in Los Angeles in September 1974, of a drugs overdose- six months before this TOTPs broadcast?
   Continuing on the funky theme, it come to the turn of Cliff Richard. And a song called ‘It’s Only Me You Left Behind’, which fell on deaf ears to the British buying public, and contributed to giving the Cliffster a big empty hole in his chart record for the entire year of 1975. While this was being sung, it was more interesting to watch the audience round the stage than Cliff. At least one Bay City Roller fan- evidence her tartan scarf round her wrist- seemed to enjoy it. Plus some cheeky chappies towards the bacxk who knew they were being filmed. At least Cliff looks like he is having a good time, even if precious few of the crowd do, and Tony has difficulty in containing his enthusiasm after this- even if he is making it his ‘record of the week’. The kiss of death, Tony?
   Wigan’s Ovation. Yes, I remember the place Wigan being noted in the charts around this time. With the Ovation, who seemed to be on a number of times, and the quite peculiar Wigan’s Chosen Few. The Ovation were the type of band seen in clubs up and down the country, I reckon, but nothing really special in themselves. I have not been able to read them, but what do the banners held by the audience say, if anyone knows? Wigan’s Ovation were no doubt a hard working band, but the song ‘Skiing In The Snow’ has little to recommend it, and their performance is as adequate as needed. Is there a Pier in Wigan? Did George Orwell invent one? Are the Ovation still performing at the end of it? Random thoughts that passed through my mind while they were on.
   Ah Lulu! Another popular 60s artist struggling to be relevant in the charts in 1975, like Cliff. And like Cliff, I had seen her own shows on the BBC in the years preceding. Did anyone take Tony’s advice and dance round their Television set? Me neither. Age is relative in all things, of course, but it is incredible to think that she would have been only 26 years old here. She had been famous for so long, by this stage, that I might have guessed she was older, and more of an appeal to mums and dads. And ‘Take Your Mama For A Ride’ was another single that barely connected with the buying public, despite this performance, which does not get much of a reaction from the crowd either, despite her insistence. It is not meant as any derogation to Lulu, but she does appear to be very ‘mumsy’ here, a look that hold no attraction to the bloke in the yellow top, who has given the cold shoulder to poor Lulu. Having watched this now a few times for review purposes, Lulu’s wiggling and wriggling have grown on me a bit more than expected. But I am 58 now, no longer the 14 year old I would have been at time of transmission. ‘She’s old enough to be my mother’!! It makes a difference! And she has a Lulu style haircut.
   Moments and Whatnauts, a group that had completely faded from my memory. Weren’t the Whatnauts the backing band, or was that the Moments. ‘Girls was probably a good party number from the day, but little to remember with great affection, apart from old memories. One of those group of artists with in house uniform, which can now seem rather amusing when viewed through the binoculars of 40+ year vision. Hard to think what else to say on them, so shall move on to the next act. Oh For F**** sake!!
   Mike Reid. His Part in my Downfall- so to speak. In about October 1976 I was 16 years old and not working at the time. One Wednesday afternoon, I think it was, that month I had a job interview with the Reuters News Agency in London. Now, many will remember that Mike use to present a children’s game show in the 70s called ‘Runaround’. On the same afternoon as my interview the show was on and there was going to be some German children included among the competitors. A few months earlier had been the Montreal Olympics, and while watching that I had become rather enamoured by a blonde East German athlete by the name of Carla Bodendorf and was, for a brief period, interested in seeing German people. So, I had the choice, go to the interview or watch Runaround, which I would never ever see again if I missed it- not having a TV recording machine at home. No contest really- I watched. But I do wonder what would have happened if I had gone to the interview- I will never know! Anyway, beside this brief interlude. Mike Reid and ‘The Ugly Duckling’ Why!! I will admit that I probably would have found this rather amusing in 1975. But the world has moved on, and I with it. It now seems- to me, and I do have a sense of humour, really- simply and plainly dreadful. I cannot bear to watch it again, besides the once I watched the whole show. Give it a rest Mike, apples and pears, horse and cart, all that stuff. Leave it out, you’re about as hard as melted butter.
  Anyone want to admit to being a Bay City Roller fan? Here at number 1 are your band, with ‘Bye Bye Baby’ which, as mentioned by Tony, was done earlier by The Four Seasons, and of which we saw a glimpse in a previous TOTPs. I can remember Rollermania so very well from the mid ‘70s. And it all seems so innocent viewed from afar. Another side of Scottish popular music, to the Average White Band. They all look so young and enthusiastic here. Some will know the later history of the band more than me, and the many side roads and back alleys fame, and unscrupulous people, took them. But here they are at the peak of their careers, with a typical highly energised showing, and very pleased to be at the summit. The audience seem happy enough with them. But soon the success will gradually dessert them, on a slow downhill slide away from the public consciousness. Make the most of while you are there, lads, the door will close in front of you soon enough.
  And that is that. Tony Blackburn says goodbye, and we are on to the end with a little piece of The Osmonds and ‘Having A Party’. The Osmonds themselves were on the way down by this stage in 1975, from the heights of only a year or two before. Intercut with the credits are morsels of the group singing this ‘party’ song. The credit for Pan’s People is there, and dancers named in the famous style used at the time with that for choreography ‘Flick Colby’ right behind. Produced by Robin Nash, and over, with 5 Osmonds as a male dance troupe. That is the end of this weeks show. And we will have to wait another seven days for the next. In those days before instant access and accessibility that would seem like an eternity until the next meal. But we could discuss it at School the following day, because every one at school would have watched as well.
  Seriously for me, this was not a very good show. And not one I would recommend to someone who never knew the early to mid ‘70s Top Of The Pops experience. Which for me is when the show was at its greatest point, but this might have to be hidden under a bushel. Even the Pan’s People routine, has major flaws as seen by the viewer. There are better editions surviving out there. In total I would award the edition 5/10 as a mark. A distinct Scottish flavour was in the show, with Lulu, the AWB and the Rollers. For best performance, passing on the dancers as I do for these, there were only two acts worth watching over again. The Tymes were one, but the best tonight has to be the Average White Band, with their best ever track, which would get even MacBeth, MacDuff and the ghost of Banquo dancing in the aisles.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Sue Menhenick
Hi Rubberband Man !  The black box you are referring to is NOT a camera or an ‘idiot board’ ( as they were sometimes referred to) for peoples lines and lyrics ..... bit sad if the band can’t remember their ‘chart topping ‘ success lyrics that got them on the show .😂😂) Nor is it a camera ..... ( at that height , if it were a camera,it would only see peoples feet !)

It’s actually a sound monitor ...... used to let people on the studio floor hear the ‘click back’ track ...... very handy especially for the bands as most were miming to the songs and backing track
You can, ( if you are eagle eyed enough (!!) to see it dimly placed on the floor during our ‘Swing Your Daddy ‘ , Pans People routine,  at about 2 mins and 9 seconds to be precise ..... you can just about see it  in the gloom through the ‘toilet rolls’ hanging from the ceiling !

I do have a brilliant marked picture of it which my very good friend PansLegs has provided for me and for those who would like to see the proof ..... unfortunately .... sadly however, I am unable to upload on to the blog.

But a big thank you to PansLegs for taking the time to even find that one shot of it . The screen grabs I have looked at are not great and to honest, they are not very clear images in all the gloom .
But here is your answer ......

Sue

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

sueforever
Thank you Sue for answering that question for us.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Sue Menhenick

                         You are very welcome Sueforever ! 😉

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Hi Sue, thanks a lot for the explanation!

Sue Menhenick wrote
You can, ( if you are eagle eyed enough (!!) to see it dimly placed on the floor during our ‘Swing Your Daddy ‘ , Pans People routine,  at about 2 mins and 9 seconds to be precise ..... you can just about see it  in the gloom through the ‘toilet rolls’ hanging from the ceiling !

I guess this is the object you are referring to?

If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Sue Menhenick

       That’s the one VV ! 😉
12