TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

The Rubberband Man
Sue Menhenick wrote
Hi Rubberband Man !  The black box you are referring to is NOT a camera or an ‘idiot board’ ( as they were sometimes referred to) for peoples lines and lyrics ..... bit sad if the band can’t remember their ‘chart topping ‘ success lyrics that got them on the show .😂😂) Nor is it a camera ..... ( at that height , if it were a camera,it would only see peoples feet !)

It’s actually a sound monitor ...... used to let people on the studio floor hear the ‘click back’ track ...... very handy especially for the bands as most were miming to the songs and backing track
You can, ( if you are eagle eyed enough (!!) to see it dimly placed on the floor during our ‘Swing Your Daddy ‘ , Pans People routine,  at about 2 mins and 9 seconds to be precise ..... you can just about see it  in the gloom through the ‘toilet rolls’ hanging from the ceiling !

I do have a brilliant marked picture of it which my very good friend PansLegs has provided for me and for those who would like to see the proof ..... unfortunately .... sadly however, I am unable to upload on to the blog.

But a big thank you to PansLegs for taking the time to even find that one shot of it . The screen grabs I have looked at are not great and to honest, they are not very clear images in all the gloom .
But here is your answer ......

Sue
Cheers Sue.
Thanks for the "insider" explanation. I'd have never guessed that, but it makes total sense now, thinking it through.
Great, I can sleep at last    zzzzzzz
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Sue Menhenick

  Glad to help Rubberband Man ..... cant have you losing sleep over that ! 😂

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

PansLegs
Sue asked me to post this.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Sue Menhenick

  🤗 Thank you  so much for that Panslegs ..... as you can all see the monitor was always on the floor, at the front of the set..... I also remember some poor person nearly tripping over the thing until someone pointed it out !

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Mikey
Is that the same one as Kenny is demonstrating here?, he calls it the "sound machine".

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Dancer
I remember this show being aired.  Never liked Kenny. I always felt they were replicating Mud.  Guys & Dolls at the time not my thing but this song grew on me as did the lovely Dominic.  Goodies no way.  Tymes were passable.  They made some good stuff.  Barry White's song went on my list after this lovely routine and I guessed they would dance to this given that they had danced to most of his stuff.  Lovely routine.  Was always peeved that there was not an extended version of this song.  It would have made a good disco song extended to about eight minutes.  Average White Band really good.  Cliff Richard was not really up to but I suppose this was pre I'm Nearly Famous album which catapaulted him to the upper regions of the chart.  Wigan's Ovation really good.  Excellent Northern Soul record.  Lulu was excellent as was Moments.  Mike Reid was a thumbs down.  Bay City Rollers was a good performance and my Aunty bought me this record but I never played it.  Did not go up town again for a time to see if I could exchange it.  Osmonds were really on the way out by the release of this song.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Yes, that's the thing Mikey. Kenny is showing us the front of it, and we see it from the back in this pic :-

Well done for finding the pic Mikey
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

PattiforPM
Great work peeps...how neat is that for an eagle eyed sighting to be followed by such authoritative answers and our knowledge increases.  I wonder how long they used this sound box for?  Maybe Mr Hurll dressed it up as a mock cheerleader later to increase the party atmos

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

You can see it here RBM, the first couple of minutes Kenny gives a tour of the empty studio, probably the 11-10-73 show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZt7PAI0Wfs

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

(8) KENNY – Fancy Pants
I never liked Kenny. I think their music was only suitable for underaged girls. I didn't know anyone who took them seriously.

(4) GUYS & DOLLS – There’s A Whole Lot Of Loving
Not a bad song but a bit old-fashioned. Not sure who actually bought their records.

(23) THE GOODIES – Funky Gibbon
Can't really comment on the Goodies. I thought they were ridiculous but then that was obviously their intention.

(NEW) THE TYMES – Someway Somehow I’m Keeping You
Not a bad record but not very good either. They looked a bit out of date even in 1975.

(5) BARRY WHITE – What Am I Gonna Do With You  (danced to by Pan’s People, Yay!!)
A bit of a missed opportunity really, as this could have been much better. Talk about the props getting in the way. There is a reason why Barry lets out a yell the moment that Ruth appears.

(6) AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Pick Up The Pieces  (video)
Great track, not so great video. Some of these films were rather lo-fi, weren't they?

(NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – It’s Only Me You Left Behind
Yawn!

(29) WIGAN’S OVATION – Skiing In The Snow
Now there was a Northern Soul favourite by an obscure band called The Invitations, so why not go and record a contemporary cover version, name your band something with "Wigan" in it, and make lots of money? Sadly this strategy almost worked but as the guys didn't really have much talent apart from cashing in, this was their only substantial hit.

(NEW) LULU – Take Your Mama For A Ride
Written by Kenny Nolan - the guy who is also responsible for the similarly themed "Swing Your Daddy" - this was Lulu's attempt at going disco. Sadly, TOTP's darling was musically a bit lost during the 70's. Early in 1974 she had gained some credibility by recording "The Man Who Sold The World" with David Bowie (which incidentally became her best selling single of the decade), but then lost the momentum. Her rendition of the somewhat ambiguous theme to the James Bond Movie "The Man With The Golden Gun" experienced the dubious honour of being the only JB theme tune that neither charted in the UK nor in the US. And now, about a year later, she went all disco with a song that wasn't ambiguous anymore but rather outspoken. However, unlike "Daddy", "Mama" wasn't a big hit and stalled at #37. Her next Top 40 hit would be more than ten years away.
Fun fact: on his 1975 album, Jim Gilstrap also recorded the song but of course altered the title to "Take Your Daddy For A Ride". Why Jim & Lulu never considered a duet is beyond me...
I think the song is OK. But wrong audience, Lulu.

(9) THE MOMENTS & THE WHATNAUTS – Girls
Good song which I didn't really like back then but do now, helped of course by a great Pan's People performance.

(34) MIKE REID – The Ugly Duckling
Not worth a comment really.

(1) BAY CITY ROLLERS – Bye Bye Baby
I was never a fan of the Rollers, but this was their best record.

(28) THE OSMONDS – Having A Party  (and credits)
Instantly forgettable. By the way, this wasn't the first time this tune was played on TOTP, as an instrumental version of it served as the play-out for the Osmonds-presented 15/08/1974.

Best song: Pick Up The Pieces.
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Well here's a show from my recalled TOTP era but I can't say I definitely remember this particular show.  Tony seems in his usual jolly mood and the audience is ok although if they have waited 6mos to get in as TB says they don't seem sufficiently excited to me.  Let's get to the material;

 (8) KENNY – Fancy Pants;  --- Just pants really.  Let's give this one the bump
(4) GUYS & DOLLS – There’s A Whole Lot Of Loving; ---  Not from me.  Looks like a bridesmaid and groomsman skit
(23) THE GOODIES – Funky Gibbon  ---  At last, some fun and a bit of entertainment although I did miss Pans People
(NEW) THE TYMES – Someway Somehow I’m Keeping You  ---  Lovely suits and unison.  Not a bad song but not memorable
(5) BARRY WHITE – What Am I Gonna Do With You  (Pan’s People)  --- Lovely opening shot, enjoyable but some technical difficulties and Barry in a throaty quandary
(6) AVERAGE WHITE BAND – Pick Up The Pieces  --- Best song by a mile but boring video
(NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – It’s Only Me You Left Behind --- Nice bib Cliff but dirge of a song
(29) WIGAN’S OVATION – Skiing In The Snow ---  Maybe Canadian bias but most skiing is (yes yes I know about motorboats)  If this is Northern Soul then I'm heading for the Equator
(NEW) LULU – Take Your Mama For A Ride --- I've always rather liked Lulu but she's really testing my resolve here
(9) THE MOMENTS & THE WHATNAUTS – Girls ---  I enjoyed the song but the lads made me a bit uncomfortable and their moving around was a bit off-putting too.  They could have used Cliff's bib.  Apparently the Whatnauts were a whole other group who joined the Moments to record this song.  I got embroiled in reading about them because I liked their most popular song titles like "I'll Erase away your Pain"  "Message from a Black Man"  "Why Can't People be Colors Too" and "Help is on the Way."  Not typical titles for an RnB outift I think!
(34) MIKE REID – The Ugly Duckling --- Fair performance by Mike but was never gonna contend with proper songs for me
(1) BAY CITY ROLLERS – Bye Bye Baby --- Seemed a bit of a flat performance to me but I quite like the song and my brother was young enough to like them so I do have some happy memories of the Rollers.
(28) THE OSMONDS – Having A Party  (and credits) ---  Look as if they're having fun but not a great song

Overall I found this Show a little lacklustre but I did quite like the Goodies, Tymes, Barry and the Ladies, AWB, M&Ws and BCRs.  If I have to choose best song it would be AWB and most enjoyable definitely Barry and Pans.  Whole show gets  6/10 from me.  Thanks Mikey for presenting these and thanks Amanda Davey.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

VintageVideos wrote
(NEW) CLIFF RICHARD – It’s Only Me You Left Behind
Yawn!
Thanks guys for your reviews. Yes it looks like unfortunately for Cliff the wooden spoon is destined to go his way.

Re: TOTP 20-3-75 With Tony Blackburn

Thanks for uploading this picture TRBM.  Really lovely picture.  Dominic was a big pin up with both genders and I do think that is what sold the record.  Bruce Forsyth's daughter was lovely looking.  Have been playing this record all weekend and it really should have been a No.1.  It was a shame their career was shortlived - their last song been a take on the then "Oxo" advert which did not make the Top 30 at all.