TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

23-3-78:   Presenter:  Dave Lee Travis

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IglkEH61o9s1HwvqakIQWBDV7ozooLle (the 12th one on the list)

(28) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me (and charts)
(25) SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why
(45) DAVID ESSEX – Stay With Me Baby
(5) ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain  (clip of Musik Laden)
(49) DR. HOOK – More Like The Movies
(2) BLONDIE – Denis  (video)
(3) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
(19) DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It  (danced to by Legs & Co)
(22) GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me  (video)
(18) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love
(1) KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights
(14) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner (and credits)

Dave Lee Travis aka DLT is this weeks host, his time on the BBC4 repeats frustratingly cut short due to reasons we probably don't need to go through again. Dave is usually a jovial host, often likes to play the fool and interact with the audience but in this episode he is playing it straight. Ok then, ready?, lets go!!

By 1978 instead of the classic CCS theme playing over the chart rundown we get about a minute of a record that they wouldn't otherwise have time to show, in this case its cuddly Tina Charles with her last hit 'I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me'. Actually I don't mind this one but despite an appearance the following week this will only reach 27, so when i said hit perhaps i was overstating it. I wonder if she still has that stripy sweater?.

Into the show proper now starting with the ubiquitous and frankly ridiculously named Showaddywaddy with one of there numerous fifties throwback hits. Was this teddy boy nostalgia a bit too soon?, clearly not based on the amount of hits these guys amassed in the late seventies.

Whilst its difficult to know who exactly the target market was for their stuff they were good performers ploughing their own furrow and always look like they enjoy their time in the spotlight. DLT informs us the next one is a 'beautiful song', in at a lowly 45 is David Essex with 'Stay With Me Baby' well i don't know about beautiful but it certainly is LOUD!, let me just turn down the volume, hold on a sec...

...nope still too loud, maybe a bit less...

Ah thats better. You're on Tops Of The Pops David not in the west end. Unsurprisingly this wasn't a hit. Something that was a hit and gentler on the ears now, Eruption with the catchy 'I Can't Stand The Rain'. Good to see the foreign exchange is still in place as this clip comes courtesy of Musik Laden. I'd assumed Eruption were a studio group like Boney M, but no here they are performing with instruments and stuff, looking all cool in front of a bank of TVs. The Musik Laden footage looks good but i think i'd prefer Legs and their earlier brolly twirling performance given the choice. Dr. Hook made some good records, but unfortunately this maudlin effort wasn't one of them, in fact if it wasn't for the scary singer dude 'lookin' at me funny' i would have zoned out completely. Some curious starry effects also seemed to be scrolling up the screen for reasons unknown. This show needs a shot in the arm, and hurrah here we go with Blondie and their debut hit 'Denis' standing out like a glowing beacon on a dark night. This is super cool stuff, of course it helps that Debbie looks great you kind of forget there is actually a backing band there too.

At its peak at number 2 this was kept off the top spot by that pesky Kate Bush, more on her later. Crashing back down again (this show has more ups and downs than the average roller coaster) its northern dirge and future number one 'Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' by Brian & Michael, must have taken them ages to come up with that name. An ode to the painter Lowry of course, and weirdly not the first one as Status Quo had released 'pictures of matchstick men' during their more psychedelic early days 10 years earlier, i know which i prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyB5buEV5s

Back to Brian & Michael with the old singing schoolkids gimmick, hooking in the Mums and Nans to say "ahh" no doubt and shift a few more copies in the process (oh Mikey you cynic). TOTP also decide to show some Lowry works in the background just in case we hadn't a clue what they are singing about, gee thanks, but im more of a Picasso man really!. Legs & Co do the household chores in the garden for their 'Rumour Has It' routine, this is one i like a lot. A rather bouncy Donna Summer number to begin with and Flick was never one to shy away from injecting a dose of humour when required and this has it in spades, and brushes, and er mops. The set is nothing short of marvellous recreating terrace houses complete with grass, fences, bins, even the neighbourhood cat. Incidently I'm not sure if this is a 'spotted' or not but was Rosie supposed to close the door properly at the start? since the thing stays open the whole time and the next door ones remain closed. This routine is always nice to watch the dancing with household props is well executed and the over the fence 'gossiping' a nice touch.

On to something more serious with Genesis and 'Follow You Follow Me' a really nice track from the progressive rockers now with Phil as frontman and aiming at a more commercial sound. This is probably my favourite on the show although the video is cut short, here it is in full because I think it deserves a full showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zj11gf9Qk

The Real Thing seemingly struggled to emulate their 1976 success, this isn't bad per-se, but a bit unmemorable and i don't have much to say about it, at least its better than the awful follow up Let's Go Disco. I really like a lot of what Kate Bush has done, a lady that brings as much in visual performance to her songs as she does with her somewhat unique vocal style. For someone of Kate's talent its surprising Wuthering Heights was her only number one, perhaps she is just a bit too 'out there' a lot of the time for the mainstream to fully appreciate it. Kate doesn't hold back on this performance at all, the kookiness is turned up to 11 and she uses her mad stare-eyes to good effect to emote at every opportunely. The effects guys have obviously gone 'oh good a black background lets do the multiple images thing' as its used plentifully throughout. One more week at number one for this gem.

Hot Chocolate are this weeks brief playout choice with the synth effects laden 'Every 1’s A Winner' they can't have seen this show as that's clearly not the case is it. Anyway its another good track from the HC guys, nuff said.  So overall a 'mixed bag' as usual and I'm getting off the roller coaster at last. I'll stick with Genesis as my favourite despite some tough competition from Blondie and Kate, but this is merely the beginning for them, as for Brian & Michael, well after their number one they won't be back. But i will be back with another old show in a few weeks time, stay tuned!.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

The Rubberband Man
Mikey wrote
its northern dirge and future number one 'Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' by Brian & Michael, must have taken them ages to come up with that name.
Particularly as neither of them are called Brian 😂

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
No Brian?, so it was all a sham , i bet they didnt even like Lowry

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Willoway
Mikey wrote
Into the show proper now starting with the ubiquitous and frankly ridiculously named Showaddywaddy with one of there numerous fifties throwback hits. Was this teddy boy nostalgia a bit too soon?, clearly not based on the amount of hits these guys amassed in the late seventies.
Their name is from the doo-wop chant in Little Darlin', presumably a nod to the early seventies retro touring group Sha Na Na, who took their name from the chant in Get a Job. Ironically the doo-wop scene never really hit the UK when it was current, so I think this was first time around for 'I Wonder Why' in the charts - it was certainly years later when I realised it (and other songs) that Showaddywaddy did weren't originals.
And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

The Rubberband Man
Willoway wrote
Mikey wrote
Into the show proper now starting with the ubiquitous and frankly ridiculously named Showaddywaddy with one of there numerous fifties throwback hits. Was this teddy boy nostalgia a bit too soon?, clearly not based on the amount of hits these guys amassed in the late seventies.
Their name is from the doo-wop chant in Little Darlin', presumably a nod to the early seventies retro touring group Sha Na Na, who took their name from the chant in Get a Job. Ironically the doo-wop scene never really hit the UK when it was current, so I think this was first time around for 'I Wonder Why' in the charts - it was certainly years later when I realised it (and other songs) that Showaddywaddy did weren't originals.
But, Do you like..... the music of...... Showaddywaddy?

https://youtu.be/eJiUGFhoQc8?t=11

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Dancer
I remember watching this show at my Nans.  Found it memorable for the Legs routine as I was a Donna Summer fan.  Really wanted to see this in colour at the time.  Tina Charles made this song her own and I found it much better than Jimmy James version which I think let her down as his hit was the one that came first.  She maybe would have done slightly better if she had released this on a 12" extended version as I would have bought this.  Tina always gave an excellent performance.  Not really keen on Showaddywaddy.  Good song but not one I would go back to.  Eruption very good.  Precious Wilson had a lovely voice singing this.  Dr Hook perfect song.  Always liked their music and this one was no exception.  Very good to listen to but not a visual band.  Blondie was perfect and people knew she was going to be big after hearing this hit.  Brian & Michael I did not like at the time but the past 20 years I really enjoy it.  Lovely lyrics and performance.  This record would suffer the same rare feat that Kenny Rogers did the previous year whereby it would drop down a place in the chart and then go to No.1.  Donna Summer/Legs & Co performance was just fantastic.  Flick really came up with the goods on this and I loved the girls dancing to this.  It was a difficult record to dance to in the disco but the girls just did this song justice.  It was the second song from the Once Upon a Time album but this did not get a 12" single release either.  In an extended form it would have gone higher.  Genesis song was just perfect and still remains my all time favourite of theirs.  Their true fans had turned away from them by this point as they had gone too commercial but this was a lovely ballad from the album And then there were Three of which many songs on their were the same ballady type.   Never taken with the Real Thing song.  They seemed to fall out of favour with regard to hits and this was proof.  Kate Bush just perfect.  Lovely song and performance and so deserved to be No.1.  I did not buy it or the album but was so engrossed with her.  She had a lot of TV exposure at this time as there would be a studio recorded concert shown around this time on BBC2 which was so clever.  This was the highlight of the show.  Hot Chocolate's song was just fantastic.  This would become a tune from The Stud and is a true stunner but the performance is better with Errol in tight silver trousers.  So sexy and a lovely voice.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Great edition - thanks for sharing all these with us Mikey.

I cant remember if BBC4 showed a few DLT hosted editions before deciding to veto him or if they were all kiboshed from the start of the run - so I'm not sure if we've seen this edition on BBC4 or not - either way it was great to be reminded of it

That was a schools choir? Some of them looked in their 30's!

No wonder artistes got fed up of BBC backing musicians and forced the change in attitude that came in the early 80s - the pianist on Wuthering Heights is awful, plays so many bum notes and almost ruins a classic.

When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

PattiforPM
Here it is RNOF 2nd from the bottom of page 2 on the Legs 1978 Comments section: Ryan never misses a Dance

  http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/RUMOUR-HAS-IT-March-td4019558.html

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Yes Willoway, i guessed there was some 50s style doo-wap connection with the name there somewhere, still a silly name through, although it kind of rolls off the tongue.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Thanks for your comments RNOF, it does not look like this one was shown on BBC4, the guys gave me the info that they banned his shows from October 1977 onwards. The idea was to feature the pre-BBC4 showings i.e up to March 1976, but i will do 'newer' shows such as this occasionally, i have put up a few so if you want to go back a bit further and leave comments you can.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Thanks P4PM I stupidly didn't think to click on Page 2
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

I quite enjoyed the show, though as ever it had plenty of downs to go with the ups. I think id give the show an overall mark of (7.75 out of 10). Thanks once again Mikey for bringing this to us. Bit of a masterstroke this idea
TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me (and charts) - Pleasant enough song by the bubbly brunette, but its the kind of thing you would expect to hear at a end of pier show. Maybe the direction Tina's career was heading. (5 out 10).
SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why - Another rock n roll rehash from the 1950's conveyor belt so eagerly plundered by the popular Leicester lads. Not my kinda thing at all, but they were very well liked, seemingly. (6 out of 10).
DAVID ESSEX – Stay With Me Baby  - No matter how loud you sing/shout (delete which) David, the songs going nowhere fast. Awful. (2 out of 10).
ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain - Superb song, sounding just as good now as it did back then. (9 out of 10).
DR. HOOK – More Like The Movies - Good old boys DR Hook who i quite like, but i can't help thinking this isn't one of their most memorable tunes.  (7 out of 10).
BLONDIE – Denis - Never made a bad record, Debbie always looked great and this track is excellent. Whats not to like. (9.5 out of 10)
BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs - Trouble with this song for me is when i hear it, i just hear the Barren Nights lyrics in my head instead. Its an okay record i guess, though not one id ever choose to play any time soon. (7 out of 10).
DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It  (danced to by Legs & Co) - Inventive choreography expertly acted to by Legs & Co. Not sure if the modern man from the 21st century is allowed to express views like this, but the audience girl in green next to Travis is a little cracker isn't she. (8.75 out of 10).
GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me - Yep, much more palatable to my hears than Genesis with old Peter from yesteryear. (8 out of 10).
THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love  - Bit of a nonentity of a song. Did nothing for me. (5 out of 10).
KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights - Best song of the year, well maybe. I enjoy any of the occasions when i can watch Kate perform this. (10 out of 10).
HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner - Good song from a band who i always enjoyed watching on the TOTPs re-runs. (8 out of 10).

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
I cant remember if BBC4 showed a few DLT hosted editions before deciding to veto him or if they were all kiboshed from the start of the run - so I'm not sure if we've seen this edition on BBC4 or not - either way it was great to be reminded of it
The DLT shows got stopped on Thursday 15th November 2012. The Keystone Kops (with the tipped-off BBC cameras fully in tow) arrested Dave that morning. That evening BBC4 were supposed to show the 20th October 1977 TOTPs hosted by DLT, replacing it with the following weeks 27/10/77 TOTPs at late notice. Legs & Co danced to The Carpenter's `Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Crafts` and that was the first of the DLT Yewtree'd dance routines and of course TOTPs shows.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Straight into the chart rundown then with Tina Charles, all the info on the movers and shakers, but no sign of little Tina. Boo.

Showaddywaddy - I Wonder Why. Never understood the appeal of this lot. This is 1978 for Gawd's sake. Rock 'n' roll reduced to a cabaret show. I notice the pretty boy singer didn't totally buy into the teddy-boy look like the others in the band. Let's not alienate those teenage girls.

David Essex - Stay With Me Baby I don't remember this cover at all. Mr Essex is rather more animated than in his usual laid-back performances.

Euruption - I Can't Stand The Rain ...and I can't stand this record. Really irritating for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Dr Hook - More Like The Movies  I'm not a Country fan, but the good Doctor did some decent tunes over the years. And for an American band they had a good strike-rate for studio performances.

Blondie - Denis And so to one of the show's highlights. A terrific record, and no doubt around the nation at the time a million teenage lads gasped, flippin' 'eck, I'll have some of that!

Brian & Michael - Match stalk Men And etc etc Eh, our kid, appen we'll 'ave a big hit singing about this Lowery fella, 'e's dead popular among them metropolitan elites, yer know.

Donna Summer - Rumour Has It In order to give Bush and Harry a shot at The Babe Of The Day title, the mighty Legs have rather gallantly dressed themselves up as Mrs Mops. Doesn't work girls...we're still mesmerized. Great fun. Absolutely love it. The records not bad either.

Genesis - Follow Me Follow You   The last time Genesis could be remotely described as prog before making the switch to, er, what exactly? A pop band? Anyway, little Phil appears behind the drums, and up front singing. How does he do that? This man clearly has magical powers. Please Phil, don't use this gift for your own enrichment, use it for the good of mankind...

The Real Thing   Forgotten the song title already, passed their best, and the singer looks like a pimp.

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights  Utterly sublime. Brilliant then. Brilliant now. Nothing more to say.

In summary, it's girls on top. Debbie, Kate and L&C. It's lady heaven!

Thanks for the upload, Mikey.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey wrote
For someone of Kate's talent its surprising Wuthering Heights was her only number one, perhaps she is just a bit too 'out there' a lot of the time for the mainstream to fully appreciate it. Kate doesn't hold back on this performance at all, the kookiness is turned up to 11 and she uses her mad stare-eyes to good effect to emote at every opportunely. The effects guys have obviously gone 'oh good a black background lets do the multiple images thing' as its used plentifully throughout.
The "multiple images thing" is really good, adding to the ghostly mystery of the song and performance. We often saw it on Dr Who and it's in the Bohemian Rhapsody as well.
The problem here with Kate's performance is, unseen by her, there's a bit of stage equipment that's shining in the background and it just slightly dilutes the whole effect a bit.

This is a brilliant TOTPs you've found for us Mikey. Kate Bush and Blondie on the same show is, for me, as good as it gets. A bit of Donna Summer + L&C, and Hot Chocolate to play us out makes this show a winner, and scores 9/10
Kate Bush wins best performance.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

I enjoyed watching this episode. And all the acts on this programme. And especially the number one record by Kate Bush. While writing this, I remember forty years ago today, seeing her first show. On her first tour, and being blow away by her. No doubt the best rock show I've seen in these years.

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Willoway
A lot of appearances in the studio today, the studio manager must have had a busy evening. I think ’78 and ’79 were the zenith for TOTP. I guess ’64 and ’65 were pretty special too, but we’ll never know.

(28) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me (and charts)
Lovely song from someone whose accompanying dancing is always strangely beguiling, but just vocals today.

(25) SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why
In my autumn years I've become a bit of a doo-wop fan, It was market forces that meant the ‘wads did this type of song, their original songs didn't sell, whereas the covers of late 50s/early 60s shifted -but others did the songs better (Dion & the Belmonts from ’58 and Sha Na Na from ’77 in this case) so I don’t think much of them.  Actually Dion supposedly disliked Sha Na Na as he thought they were a bit phoney (eg some members adopting Italian stage names), goodness knows what he would have made of the Teddy Boy suited ‘wads.
Happy birthday Dave.

(45) DAVID ESSEX – Stay With Me Baby
Shouty, classic winding down career stuff, however lucky for him the Andrew Lloyd Webber stardust (pun intentional) was about to fall on him.

(5) ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain  (clip of Musik Laden)
Another Farian triumph, great song, sound & video, just perfect.

(49) DR. HOOK – More Like The Movies
Liked it at the time, visually great band to watch, now view it more as OKish.

(2) BLONDIE – Denis  (video)
Off the scale in terms of screen presence (the band as a whole as well as Deborah) and great reworking (including regendering) of a late doo-wop hit.
In contrast to the 'wads, Blondie ultimately followed a different path - originals rather than pre-Beatles covers. The producers thought given the success of Denise, retro was the way to go, and later their first single from Parallel Lines in the US was the Buddy Holly ‘I’m Gonna Love You Too’ which tanked, they then released Sunday Girl and the rest is history.

 (3) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs
I think this was my first single I ever had bought for me – I loved it at the time and still see its merits today. I recall a TOTP retrospective programme where the choir mistress railed against the pronunciation of the o in ally-ally-o  by the London stage school kids brought in for the show.

(19) DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It  (danced to by Legs & Co)
Another fine example of europop from Georgio Morodor – the charts (and TOTP by extension) were ridiculously spoiling us back in ’78.

(22) GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me  (video)
If Spotify had a block facility on their search function, and only allowed one item to block, I would have #philcollins, if they only allowed two it would be #philcollins and #genesis.

(18) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love
Dull MoR stuff to follow the previous example – hadn’t punk happened by now? (yes, I know punk’s impact on the chart was relatively minor, and the pistols were pumping out crooner tunes by now)

(1) KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights
After live performances to the TOTP audience with and without a piano, today is the one and only showing of a seemingly audience free recreation by KB of the video (the video apparently never shown on TOTP). Iconic performance, as every one was by KB of this song.

(14) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner (and credits)
Hot Chocolate rather dull so not that fussed, glad they used this up on the credits.

If I didn’t have a ‘show up’ principle, I would have gone for Eruption, but as I do, I’ll go for Kate Bush, as I assume it was recorded specially for the show after the iffy backing on the previous two performances.
And every night we'll have a dance
Cause what's a vacation without romance

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Here I go with DLT and 1978:

(28) TINA CHARLES – I’ll Go Where Your Music Takes Me (Charts)  - Ordinary song, best TC visuals ever (sorry)
(25) SHOWADDYWADDY – I Wonder Why - Me too, although they did perform well, just not a genre I like at all
(45) DAVID ESSEX – Stay With Me Baby - horrible cacophony, see Lorraine Ellison and Walker Bros for advice
(5) ERUPTION – I Can’t Stand The Rain - great song and love Precious Wilson
(49) DR. HOOK – More Like The Movies - country comedy and mush which should stay off the campfire
(2) BLONDIE – Denis  - just fantastic, Deb is so hot in this
(3) BRIAN & MICHAEL – Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs - wonder if Lowry ever painted Smurfs
(19) DONNA SUMMER – Rumour Has It  (Legs & Co enhanced)  - fantastic creative stuff and enjoyable song
(22) GENESIS – Follow You Follow Me - I really like this but it sure is different from my fave Genesis era.  Nothing wrong with a little personal development though
(18) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love - not now.  Always thought lead singer could have been really good with a really good song but never managed one - not even their #1 IMHO
(1) KATE BUSH – Wuthering Heights - Undeniably good but not my fave of Kate's; I just find her too high pitched for comfort here and she sure is ultra-quirky to watch here too.  Perhaps I was still recovering from Deb's Jacket nearly falling off to be honest.
(14) HOT CHOCOLATE – Every 1’s A Winner (Credits) - love this one and sad it was shortened with Credits.  Always thought Legs could have done a really good raunchy version of this one.

  Overall I did enjoy this Show a lot despite a few shortcomings.  Essex was the low point and for me it was the Blondie performance which caught fire, although I very much appreciated Kate Bush, Genesis, Eruption, a sip of Hot Chocolate and a wonderful Donna/Flick duet.  This one gets 9/10     Thanks Mikey

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
PattiforPM wrote
(18) THE REAL THING – Whenever You Want My Love - not now.  Always thought lead singer could have been really good with a really good song but never managed one - not even their #1 IMHO
How about 'Can't Get By Without You'?

Re: TOTP 23-3-78 With Dave Lee Travis

   I can hear Tina, but I cannot see Tina- damn and blast. Except in the Chart rundown, at 28. Or should that be 29, because Billy Joel comes up as 28 as well, immediately afterwards. I would really like to see Tina Charles again, but it is not to be. Other acts of note in the charts for me are the lovely Elkie Brooks at 17, with Lilac Wine, and Andy Cameron on 16, with a reminder of Scotland’s challenge for the 1978 World Cup- and hopes were still high in March. Before Cubillas, Chumpitaz and company from Peru had turned them over. And there is Kate Bush at number 1. And her legendary career just about to begin. Almost certainly I watched this edition back then, though do not remember it distinctively. As this was the third week of Kate’s occupation of the top spot, it was an earlier week where I bought the single ‘Wuthering Heights’ the day after seeing her on the show. What a strange, unusual and provocative voice I thought!! Well I think I did, if I remember correctly. Hosted by Dave Lee Travis, in a rather muted and less manic fashion than was usually the case. And all the better for it. A few random thoughts on the show.
 The butt of many a joke- mostly done as an impersonation of a certain TOTPs presenter, we start off with Showaddywaddy. With their retro ‘schtick’ which I never found much interest in, then or now. If you like that sort of thing, then probably you might like this. A pleasing enough performance, all dressed in their differently shaded ‘Teddy-Boy’ suits, with some incidental dancing and close harmony going on in there as well. Birthday Boy Dave Bartram was a fine singer though, and this number does show off his talents very well. I would imagine he could sing any style of music well, if he chose. How many band members were there at this time- 8 I think? And many others have passed through the ranks of the band in it’s lengthy history. If counting sheep does not help you to fall asleep, counting Showaddywaddy members should help. And did they ever do a commercial for Walkers’ Crisps? A missed opportunity if they didn’t.
  David Essex- channelling his inner Lorraine Ellison, and it was a surprise to me, on checking that Lorraine’s original of the song ‘Stay With Me Baby’ was not a bigger hit anywhere than it was, and certainly not making the top 50 in Britain. That is the best version ever of this classic Soul track, and David does not have a hope in comparison. And only crept up to number 45, so most people seemed to agree with me. Nevertheless, David gives his vocal chords a good work out, but it does seem wrong hearing the track from a male perspective. Doesn’t it? A powerful showing however, and he does nearly fall over towards the end- too much emotion in the song? Sorry, David, despite your imploring I cannot stay any longer. He gives it a good go, but I will always stay with Lorraine Ellison- an all-time classic recording.
  Next up are Eruption and ‘I Can’t Stand The Rain’ and a clip obviously borrowed from Musik Laden, from the notice on the side of the keyboards. A popular Disco track from the day if I recall properly. Not sure what more I can add to this, apart from singer Precious Wilson looking very fetching in her black and red ‘flared-pants and cropped-top’ outfit. And the other members look quite stylish in their outfits too. A good example of the German produced disco current at the time. Ah Disco- taking me back to the old days at the Phoenix and the Bird’s Nest.
  Moving on now to Dr. Hook with ‘More Like The Movies’, and the principal members of Dennis Locorriere and the recently deceased Ray Sawyer- complete with trade mark eye-patch and up-brimmed hat. Another reasonable performance from what is turning out to be a good standard edition. One aspect, is noticeable is how little attention is paid to the crowd now, as we see the backs of their heads as the watch the artists. Was the band, now just Dr. Hook, or were there any Medicine Show personnel among them? They look a bit grizzled as though they need a good elixir to keep up the effort.
  The subject of millions of teenage boy’s fantasies- and a few girl’s I would guess- Debbie Harry with the band Blondie and ‘Denis’. The track that brought them to the attention of the baying masses, on their way to a few years of Superstardom. And here she is, showing exactly why she was that fantasy. A figure in front of the band, to whom many did not bother to look. But Blondie, and the new wave bands sweeping into the charts, were like a breath of fresh air blowing on the cobwebs of the fustier regions of the popular music industry. A tight, together performance from the band all round in this video. With a very catchy rendition of the older song ‘Denise’. Any volunteers to help Debbie put on- or take off- her jacket? She seems in a little trouble.
  A surprise hit is to follow. ‘Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs’ recorded by Brian and Michael, but performed here by Kevin and Michael, as Brian had left the duo by that stage. Here we have the reformed partnership with Michael on lead vocals and Brian/Kevin on guitar- I think. And what to make of it, I have never been to sure. I don’t like it much, but there are far worst things about. But we have them in the studio with a chorus of schoolgirls. Watchable, once or twice, but that is enough. What do Michael’s hand actions suppose to mean when he sings ‘even the Mona Lisa takes a bow’? And some of the schoolgirls start singing the refrain of ‘The Big Ship Sails in the Alley Alley-O’ in the final chorus, it seems, and it is not even the last day of September. A pleasant enough performance, with examples of L.S.Lowry’s work as support. You cannot imagine anything like this finding itself in the charts these days- I presume, as I have no idea what is in the charts these days. It might be full of this stuff!
  The highlight of any 1978 Top Of The Pops, Legs and Co are next. But I bet seeing them dressed as your grandmother dampened many a youthful ardour. A routine for Donna Summer’s ‘Rumour Has It’, in the back yards of a row of terraced houses, all gossiping over the garden fences. One day, in the not too distant future, I will reach this routine to give a full review. One day! But until then, I will only raise the issue that we are supposed to believe that Pauline and Gill, Sue and Rosie, and Patti and Lulu live together. And the last pair have a cat. Should we know this? At least the backyard will be spotlessly clean. I wonder who is inside making the beds? Perhaps it is granddad. And Patti looks good whatever she is wearing, thought I, as she marches down the yard with her broom.
   Genesis from the 1970s, when they were still a top quality band releasing top quality material. ‘Follow You Follow Me’ is definitely one of their best, post Peter Gabriel tracks. Much better than their MOR 80s output certainly. Even perennial lampoon target Phil Collins can have few detractors here- all right the long hair and cap combo is may be not the most stylish for a man of his age, but come on he is a ‘rock-star’. A nice smooth filmed performance that is over rather too quickly, and misses out much of the track, as we move on to the next piece.
   Which is the Real Thing trying to relive former glories with ‘Whenever you Want My Love’. Some way from their heights of a few years previously. Here there are again, introduced by DLT from behind one of fences from the Legs and Co. routine. As stated, not as good as some of their earlier efforts, but they seemed happy enough, and so did the audience at the foot of the stage, including the young lady with the curious mirrored stovepipe hat. The same hat indeed seen with Dave Bartram of Showaddywaddy earlier. Gentle mellow sounds of 70s pop soul, for want of a better description. A relaxed band giving their best shot, and a sure fire way to spend smooth evening with the partner of your choice.
   Arriving at number 1 for this week in March, it is Kate Bush and ‘Wuthering Heights’. But everybody knew that anyway, following the chart rundown at the beginning of the show. The song did divide and create strong opinions. I was always in the camp that liked the song, as I stated I bought the single straight after seeing an earlier TOTPs performance. I still have it somewhere. I was a Post Office Messenger Boy back in March 1978, aged 17, and I remember some of my colleagues not being so keen on the number. Like a strangled cat, or such like, was their opinion. In this piece for this week her actions as the unhappy, malevolent ghost of Cathy at the window, from the book on which the song takes the name, are very impressive. Also the image of Kate with the large, oh so expressive, eyes and opened mouth, dressed in a spiritually visual off-white, with sharply pointing fingers and all moving suggestively to the lyrics of the song, her background in dance is unmistakeable. These unworldly movements, as a being from beyond and not of the living Earth, attract enormously. The special effects of creating many Kates add greatly to the feeling, each added copy being slightly less substantial then that in front, and the way these images show a larger body or head as they fan out towards the edges enhance this aspect. And at the centre of all is Kate herself. A very attractive young woman and no mistake, and clearly an exceptionally talented one. We would become more aware of exactly how talented in times to come, but so much was already evident here. The part near the end where there appears to be multiples of Kate or Cathy descending the stage as their image spirals round to the right is visually impressive. Has the nether world ever been so enticing, or strangely alluring? Has a new young talent ever left their mark in so thrilling a fashion.
   And now we are at the end. As presenter DLT says goodbye swamped by a large number of the crowd. It has been a very good show, and worth watching a number of times. As the credits play out to Hot Chocolate and ‘Every 1’s a Winner’ over an image of an eye or sun shooting out rays and colours in all directions. Yes, a good show, with a good host and many good performances. Which is the best for me? Clearly, no one need ask me that question, as it should be as obvious as polar bear in a coal cellar. But Kate Bush was superb then, has been superb in the meantime and is still superb now. And Kate dressed and performing as a ghost is nigh on impossible to beat. Why does the Spirit World provide so much inspiration?
  Like a free gift or a baker’s dozen, we have the added bonus of a glimpse of the lovely Yvonne Elliman for a few brief seconds at the end. And I haven’t even told anyone how much I fancied her back then. How did they know? Nothing to do with this Top Of The Pops in question, of course, but always a pleasure to see the Sweetest Star of Hawaii. Win, win, win, I say!

12