TOTP 25-12-80 and 01-01-81

25-12-80: Presenters: Jimmy Savile O.B.E. & Peter Powell

Its 2015 and depite cancelling the show 9 years ago the annual tradition that is the Xmas day TOTPs rolls on even in this age of digital TV and the ability to access a vast archive of recorded material with a few clicks of the mouse. Back in 1980 however it was a lot more meaningful, which is why the BBC laid on this lavish production to end the year. Ok then thats a lie its actually just Jimmy and Pete in an audience free studio and lots of canned applause, shame. Of course the presence of Jimmy puts paid to any chance of us seeing this on BBC4. There are plenty of new studio performances on offer though including Legs and Co finally making it to Funkytown of course. Here we go then......

Thanks to Popscene for the listing. Links are no longer available.

(-) THE NOLANS – I’m In The Mood For Dancing
(-) DEXY’S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS – Geno
(-) BLONDIE – Atomic (video)
(-) PAUL McCARTNEY – Coming Up (video)
(48) BARBRA STREISAND – Woman In Love (danced to by Legs & Co) ®
(-) LIQUID GOLD – Dance Yourself Dizzy
(-) DAVID BOWIE – Ashes To Ashes (video)
(-) MARTI WEBB – Take That Look Off Your Face
(-) THE POLICE – Don’t Stand So Close To Me (video)
(-) FERN KINNEY – Together We Are Beautiful
(-) JOHNNY LOGAN – What’s Another Year?
(5) ABBA – Super Trouper (video)
(-) LIPPS INC – Funky Town (danced to by Legs & Co)
(-) LEO SAYER – More Than I Can Say
(-) SHEENA EASTON – 9 To 5
(-) PINK FLOYD – Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (video)
(1) ST. WINIFRED’S SCHOOL CHOIR – There’s No-One Quite Like Grandma (and credits) ®

01-01-81: Presenters: Dave Lee Travis & Tommy Vance

(-) STATUS QUO – What You’re Proposing ®
(73) OTTAWAN – D.I.S.C.O. (video)
(67) MADNESS – Baggy Trousers
(-) THE JAM – Going Underground
(-) BILLY PRESTON & SYREETA – With You I’m Born Again ®
(-) THE DETROIT SPINNERS – Working My Way Back To You – Forgive Me Girl (Medley) (danced to by Legs & Co) ®
(-) UB40 – Food For Thought
(-) KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love
(-) HOT CHOCOLATE – No Doubt About It ®
(-) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Banana Republic (video)
(-) STEVIE WONDER – Masterblaster (Jammin’) (video)
(-) ABBA – The Winner Takes It All (video)
(-) THE PRETENDERS – Brass In Pocket ®

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Doc
Thanks for the link and nice that it's on a friendly site unlike the ones where all the download buttons open advertisments or worse.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Thanks Mikey. Too bad we only have those somewhat ropey UK Gold copies, as this was quite a decent show. Very good start with the Nolans who for the first time on TOTP performed their biggest hit with 'little' Coleen (sans Anne).
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Thanks for the intro and show, Mikey.
You make a good point about how much of an event the Christmas Day Top Of The Pops was back then because without a video recorder it was a case of watching the show before Christmas Dinner is served or miss it (the show, not the dinner).
Although it's their last Christmas, it's good to see the extra usage of Legs & Co. in terms of interaction with Jimmy Savile and Peter Powell  post dance to firstly display the toys to be distributed and finally for the chocolate box farewell - not necessary but a good idea.
That's definitely Pauline's laugh heard in reaction to the "inanimate objects" line!

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Yes, thanks Mikey for posting this.  I like the great majority of the songs with only Liquid Pyrites, the Euro-winner and the Infants missing the mark for me.  It's funny, you'd think the Xmas Show would be the ideal time to have a huge Party with atmosphere to match but who am I to question?

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

PattiForPM wrote
 It's funny, you'd think the Xmas Show would be the ideal time to have a huge Party with atmosphere to match but who am I to question?
Thats a great point actually. Its just caps off whats been a unspectacular first six months into the Hurll reign. I guess the much heralded party atmos will begin in earnest in the new year then. The empty studio at Christmas just looks awful, a far cry from the early and middle 70s when an effort was really made.

Anyway thanks for the link Mikey. Great way to kick things off with The Nolans and Dexys was a good follow up. But apart from Legs & Co, the rest of this was for me, to many videos and acts i wasn't all that bothered about.

Interesting how 12 months previously on the 79 Xmas show Peter Powell was basically given a master class in presenting by Kid Jensen, but on this he did a great job in carrying along Jimmy who should have been put out to grass ages ago.

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Thanks for this link, much appreciated, and thanks too to the mysterious Manorak, whomsoever he should be.....

What was JS doing with the first Nolan Sister? He kinda pats her tummy with the back of his hand, I don't think she likes it...I must say though, there seems to be a genuine rapport between him and PP - all the DJ's who now come on and say "I never liked him, he was weird" etc - I don't buy it. I think most of them liked him and looked up to him. And you hear the crew laughing at his gags....

Other thoughts....

I have never before realized that Kevin Rowland had a lisp....

Can't believe Liquid Gold ever made it onto the show/into the charts - annoying song, terrible lookers...

The Police obviously saved a few quid by filming Doo doo doo Da Da Da on the same trip as Don't Stand So Close....

Lots of these acts I haven't seen on BBC4....brings it home how many shows we're losing to Yewtree (and before I found this site) eg. I never knew what Fern Kinney looked like before today....

I'm sure Johnny Logan is John the Baptist to Daniel O'Donnell's Jesus Christ.....

Rosie IS the tallest! It isn't an optical illusion!

Finally I do very much agree with you and others - why the BBC made the Xmas show such a low-key affair when it was a ready made excuse for a party is beyond me, last night's 1979 was the same and I remember one Xmas show hosted by Nollie Edmonds on his own from what appeared to be a bunker....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

VintageVideos
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
I remember one Xmas show hosted by Nollie Edmonds on his own from what appeared to be a bunker....
That was 1978, his farewell show.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Ah that's the one they are showing Xmas Eve 10pm
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

I didn't see the point in The Police making another 'video' for Dont Stand So Close To Me, since their videos are all basicially the same larking about and miming. I do like those snowmobile things though.

As for the show, the lack of interaction from Jimmy and Pete with the live acts apart from the Nolans and Legs was telling, seems like some pre-recording went on and the show was just edited with their links. The canned applause did my head in after a while. Apart from that i enjoyed it all, yeah even liquid gold, a half decent 'get on the dancefloor' track, well after 5 pints or so anyway .

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
It was really enjoyable.

Will you be posting a link to the New Year's Day 1981 episode?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Legsfan
https://vimeo.com/128824696 The link to the 1981 New Years Day episode (uploaded by manorak)

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Mikey
I've updated the first post with the 1st Jan 81 details.

Re: TOTP 25-12-80

Doc
Thanks for the link.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: TOTP 25-12-80 and 01-01-81

Saw both them the other night. And the best one was the 25/12/80, the better acts on that show.

Re: TOTP 25-12-80 and 01-01-81

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
If I had to vote for a best performance on the NYD episode, it would have definitely gone to the much-missed Errol Brown and uber-cool Hot Chocolate!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP 25-12-80 and 01-01-81

Old Grey Whistler
Both shows were good, although I found the selection of the songs quite odd. A fair number of these only got to number 3 but there must be at least seven number one songs which were excluded.  Admittedly, Suicide Is Painless, Coward Of The County and Crying, aren't exactly full of festive cheer, though neither really is Banana Republic.  None of the chart toppers during the strike weeks are included, which is a pity as this would have been a golden opportunity for Legs & Co to perform their Use It Up And Wear It Out routine, which we know they had prepared earlier in the year. Even allowing for their Basil Brush commitments,  I am sure it wouldn't have taken them long to reacquaint themselves with that dance.

Re: TOTP 25-12-80 and 01-01-81

Old Grey Whistler wrote
 Even allowing for their Basil Brush commitments,  I am sure it wouldn't have taken them long to reacquaint themselves with that dance.
You are most correct OGW, a second routine to UIUWIO would have been most welcome on the new years day show. My choice would have been a second routine without the cars to D.I.S.C.O. The end of year Legs not avaible coz of filming elsewhere does not sit easy with me. Whilst i can just about buy into Legs missing a whole TOTPs because of the Basil stuff, the sparsity of Legs on the two festive shows unlike other years was most odd. Remember we had a TOTPs host telling us the viewers on the 11th Dec show that Legs were `apparently`away rehearsing for these two festive shows. I guess that was a bit of fib, fob the viewers off with that Richard. I now look on it as the first instance of Michael Hurll cranking up his grind stone to begin sharping his axe.