TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

VintageVideos
Not one of my favourite shows from 1976, but it's great that this one has survived courtesy of David Hamilton.

(23) FATBACK BAND – (Do The) Spanish Hustle
The best track on the show IMO - though not in this 'live' version which sounds a bit lame. The studio recording is a whole lot better, especially the 5 min plus album version which has some great instrumental parts.

(2) TINA CHARLES – I Love To Love (But My Baby Loves To Dance)
Good to see lovely Tina in one of her rather numerous TOTP appearances during 1976 and 1977. And a great live vocal too. I never missed Floid here btw...

(19) SMOKIE – Something’s Been Making Me Blue
One of their lesser hits and the first single after the name change. I've never been much of a fan of either Smokey or Smokie. Maybe because they were even more popular here in Germany than in the UK so you just couldn't escape their songs on the radio for a number of years.

(20) BILLY OCEAN – Love Really Hurts Without You
Billy seems to be quite popular among forum members. This song does nothing for me however.

(18) THE STYLISTICS – Funky Weekend  (danced to by Pan’s People)
Not a very good track by the Stylistics, and not really funky either. The Pan's People dance, I'm sorry to say, isn't up to their usual standards.

(9) STATUS QUO – Rain  (video)
Not their best, but still a good Quo song. Yes their hits are all a bit samey but still much better than most of the records that made the charts 10 years later.

(25) CLIFF RICHARD – Miss You Nights
Liked it back then but can't stand it anymore.

(4) C.W. McCALL – Convoy  (video)
I could never quite make out if this was actually meant seriously or just as a parody. I still hope it was the latter. A very cleverly done record which I don't mind listening to once in a while.

(29) GUYS ‘N’ DOLLS – You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
I agree with the general consensus that this badly done cover version is nothing short of an imposition. Maybe suitable for cabaret. Or maybe not.

(1) THE FOUR SEASONS – December ’63 (Oh What A Night)  (video)
Good song even if I'm not quite as enthusiastic as others about it. I always preferred Who Loves You (and also Silver Star).

(40) M & O BAND – Let’s Do The Latin Hustle  (and credits)
Nice song to close the show.

Thanks Mikey for presenting this episode.

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

Mikey
Thanks Vin and P4PM for their reviews.

Vin is the full version of Spanish Hustle the one i posted with the dancing girl clip, i agree the instrumental bit in the middle is really nice.

Wikipedia calls Convoy a novelty song, so that must be correct then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convoy_(song)

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

VintageVideos
Mikey wrote
Vin is the full version of Spanish Hustle the one i posted with the dancing girl clip, i agree the instrumental bit in the middle is really nice.
The clip you posted is actually the "Disco Version", a special remix only available on a 12" single. The album version is a bit shorter, but both versions are quite similar.
Interestingly, the "Disco Version" has just been rereleased this very month on a 4-track 12" single which also features the album version and two further more recent remixes.
https://www.decks.de/track/the_fatback_band-spanish_hustle/ce9-ws

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

Mikey
Ah yes, thanks, i see what you mean, i guess back then disco version just meant a longer edit djs could use.

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

AC/PD
Thanks for hosting these past blasts, Mikey.
It's good to read all the associated frank viewpoints.

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilton

Mikey
Thanks AC/PD, and never to late to add your comments if you wish

Re: TOTP 26-2-76 With David Hamilto

PattiforPM wrote
(23) FATBACK BAND - not very entertaining
(2) TINA CHARLES –  her Baby was right
(19) SMOKIE – you're blue because the song isn't very good
(20) BILLY OCEAN –  a really good song and enthusiastic performance
(18) THE STYLISTICS – (danced to by Pan’s People)  - middlingly good dance and song lacks style
(9) STATUS QUO – more like light drizzle
(25) CLIFF RICHARD – a fairly good song but can't stand Cliffy when he gets breathless like this
(4) C.W. McCALL – a reasonable chorus but otherwise road kill
(29) GUYS ‘N’ DOLLS – this is really dreadful
(1) THE FOUR SEASONS – by far the best thing on the Show even with Frankie Valli
(40) M & O BAND – the hustle did not improve in its journey over the Med
I listened to last weeks Pick of the Pops just before watching this, more than half the songs appear in both so it was slightly surreal.

Tina C: I’ve a bit of a soft spot for Tina despite her preference for maternity dresses, a decent chart topper.
Billy O:Top song,
Cliff: Not bad at all.
Four Seasons: One of the best from 76.

The two main guy’s hairstyles in Guys and Dolls always amuse me, but the song has been done better. Spent most of the time trying to spot Dollar. Convoy was just dull. The rest was reasonable middle of the road filler.
Still living in 1979
12