Quantcast

TOTP Christmas - December 2016 TOTP TV listings

TOTP Christmas - December 2016 TOTP TV listings

I know this has been a topic being discussed on Popscene and now we're only 5 weeks away from the big day. What do you think will happen with the festive TOTP this year? I very much doubt 1982 will be shown because the BBC still have a huge grudge against Travis as even though he is a 'free' man they are still editing his name out of the "Dave Lee Travis will be here next time on TOTP". I would like the 25/12/77 shown as it has only been shown twice and I would like to see it, or show the recently restored 07/05/81, but I think the 31/12/81, 25/12/79 and possibly 25/12/78 or 75 will be shown.

What do you think will happen?

Re: Christmas 1982?

Boring answer for ya LGFN, but id settle for any Xmas TOTPs that featured Legs & Co. If i had to choose id go for the 76 shows, though both are out of bounds to the viewing license payers.

Re: Christmas 1982?

VintageVideos
They could show 25/12/73 with the ever so popular Get Down
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Christmas 1982?

Legsfan
VintageVideos wrote
They could show 25/12/73 with the ever so popular Get Down
Yes that would be a good one I really like Get Down. I still think Pan's People at the BBC should happen, but the BBC doesn't seem to have a suggestions page.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Boring answer for ya LGFN, but id settle for any Xmas TOTPs that featured Legs & Co. If i had to choose id go for the 76 shows, though both are out of bounds to the viewing license payers.
Fair enough, but 1978 and 1979 are getting a bit boring now. 76 are two of my favourite festive editions, but thankfully both were on the BBC a few years ago though I have only seen the one with DLT.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Legsfan wrote
I still think Pan's People at the BBC should happen, but the BBC doesn't seem to have a suggestions page.
That would be great but I fear it's too good to happen. Nowadays, BBC programmers seem to view the dancers primarily as an object of ridicule.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

In that case I hope some classic TOTP's are shown with Pan's People like the 25/12/73. I am tempted to write to the BBC, but I know I will either get a generic letter or nothing.

Re: Christmas 1982?

zenon
Xmas '77 would be a fine tribute to Keith Emerson who we sadly lost this year with our Legs doing their take on Fanfare To The Common Man.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Legsfan
I think 25/12/82 was shown on BBC 4 a few years ago? So it won't be really grainy quality. The Abracadabra by Zoo is why I am thinking this because on Youtube it has the performance and Andy Peebles introducing.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Old Grey Whistler
I would like to see 26/12//77 or 27/12/79, but both would be reliant on DLT being deemed acceptable viewing which probably isn't very likely.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Sorry for deviating from your 82 thing Legsfan, but i couldn't resist playing the four 1976 Legs Christmas routines again. All four are very different and all very watchable. Unlike a lot of the forum who seem to consider it a bit of a duffer, i really enjoy Legs version of `Let Em In`. I think for a mad keen Legs fan like myself what fascinates me is the fact that there is zero dancing, and a lot of walking about. In other words its the chance to see our six dancers in a different light and to some degree they show their acting ability. Take for example the bit were they all pretend to nonchalantly listen at the doors, its wonderful stuff.

They are obviously under instructions to only give very slight smiles to the camera, though one cant help notice Rosie open a door, give a big smile then almost immediately go back to a straight face as though she'd realised this was supposed to be a serious routine. This must be the only routine in which the most smiley Legs member of all, Pauline was the only one who kept the straight face all the way through. Nice though for young Rosie to take the lead, but its also noticeable at least twice in this that it wasn't just Lulu who looked up at the studio monitor during routines.

Ahh well. I may as well go and play the four from 77 now as well.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Legsfan
Let Em In is a brilliant routine! Some see it as a boring one with nothing going on, but I absolutely know what the aim was for this one. I couldn't agree with you more on that one  I'm really hoping the 07/05/81 is shown

Re: Christmas 1982?

Who's That Hurll
I would like to see 7/5/81 as well. You say it's "recently restored" (presumably with the assistance of the guys who sent in the recent 1982 links) and if the BBC have it ready to broadcast, then what would be the point of doing that if it's not going to be shown?
WTH

Re: Christmas 1982?

zenon
A brilliant show that would even be better to watch in digital quality.

Re: Christmas 1982?

PattiForPM
 I'm afraid I am a dull Let Em In detractor. I always thought Sneaky should have matched it up with this classic to spice it up a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9wLrkOg-M

 As for my own favourite Xmas request, I'm on a Mission Impossible but I'd love them to show the two 1974 Xmas shows, which I think were brilliant stuff.  Of course there's no chance as DLT and JS were involved and anyway Pans were only on the first of the two but there it is.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Dancer
I would like to see the Christmas editions of 1977, 1971 and 1973.  Primarily with Pans People I absolutely love and the 1977 edition with Legs was good to re-watch.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Christmas 1982?

Colm
1973 would be a good call for a BBC4 repeat this year, but of course it wouldn't be as originally broadcast. Or 1971 or the surviving 1972 programme (again not as originally broadcast), as it seems Tony B has now kissed and made up with Auntie.

At least there's some festivity from 1982 guaranteed with 23/12/1982 with Rhythm Pal Jensen, albeit less intense than the fun from Christmas Eve 1981.

Re: Christmas 1982?

AC/PD
I wonder if they might be considering another airing for the 24/12/81 Live edition, this time being broadcast on a suitably festive occasion and not in broad daylight.
By rights, the Christmas Day 1982 edition ought to be given the green light but...rights, eh.

Re: Christmas 1982?

Legsfan
Has anyone one here actually seen the whole 25/12/82? Is there much DLT? does it look like he could be easily edited out?

Re: Christmas 1982?

PattiForPM
Yep LF, DLT intros the beginning with John Peel and then Duran Duran in the middle somewhere and the last number by Sir Cliff and that's it as there's a plethora of other DJs involved.  Probably not too tough to edit out if one only had the desire......