TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
These are truly gorge us days. After wolfing through 81 we have a mere two hours to digest the final serving and it's straight into the seventh and by far least anticipated 'Story Of' in these parts, followed by the inseparable 'Big Hits' taster. So what does 82/the second half of 16 hold for us? Well, for the final full year we have a dance troupe and - we must never forget - our beloved choreographer. And they'll be dancing to some good tunes. Pretty girls in not very much performing for our delectation-  grab it while you can! We KNOW it won't last. Let's practise the art of filtering out superfluous performers.  Who knows, we may even notice insinuating feelings of warmth towards some dancers as familiarity builds. Colm, be ready to dust off that Zookeeper's uniform that's been waiting in your wardrobe for years. This isn't yet the boring eighties of shoulder pads, power ballads, corporate stadium rock and Five Star, the UK's first android pop group. It's further still from the Hit Factory performed by puppets. No, this was a shiny music scene where pop stars steered their own course to TOTP and they weren't afraid to look like pop stars. Where synth-pop reached saturation level but banjos and fiddles could take up a month's gypsy encampment at the top to a song no-one in the world disliked. Ever. A chart so open that - reaching out to continental friends (non-federalist, mind )  - we had not one but two and very nearly a Trio of German Number 1s. 82 will witness possibly the least change since the repeats began, it was largely a year of consolidation - without the medleys. Pop was honed to something close to purity. But it never aimed for the lowest common denominator. Yes, the party atmos was a bit much but at least this was a chart, and therefore a show, still worth celebrating. Let's enjoy it here too.

Notable in the pre-publicity that the BBC have near namesakes ABC among the debuts. What sloppy research.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

AC/PD
A concise picture-setter for the forthcoming documentary/year, GD, offering a coffee-flavoured taste of what's to come and an advanced warning about the brash, boisterous clouds beyond. 'Consolidation' is indeed the keyword.
Can picture Colm in his Johnny Morris outfit, feeding us with information and brushing through the dung.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
we had not one but two and very nearly a Trio of German Number 1s.
Thanks GD and nice play of words. Two German acts making it to the UK No. 1 in just one year would probably be a non-recurrent feat already, but actually there were even three of them (indeed!). Can you guess the third?
If you look at the list of UK No. 1 singles of 1982 there is no denying that the charts were rich in variety.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

AC/PD
The Goombay Dance Band. Arrrgh!
Prefer Nicole and that Krafty act.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Oops, thanks for the correction Vin. Ya know, ever since 2011 I've thought I Want More! I really tried to forget the Goombay Dance Band and it seems I succeeded.

Would imagine that at the start of the year odds quoted by bookmakers for three separate German acts reaching Number 1 would be about the same as Leicester City's Premiership odds before the last season.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Everything'sRosie
Have to agree, 82 was a good year for music. I usually struggle to like number one records but there are some great songs hitting the top this year. Two Jams and a Kraftwerk. Unfortunately, as Isaac Newton was good enough to explain, for every positive action there is a negative reaction. Ebony & Ivory anyone? Or, I've Never Been To Me by Charlene. No? Thought not.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Ive just checked out the 1982 number ones list. To add to the two duffers that ER mentioned, how about `Save Your Love`, a truly dreadful Xmas number one.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Mikey
The caption on the iplayer states, "1982 marks the peak of British 'new pop'", now ive never heard that term mentioned before.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

The Rubberband Man
.... and there's a shocking cover version from Musical Youth - Pass the Dutchie,  "Ah billy billy bong,"

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

VintageVideos
OK I just went through my 1982 mp3 folder and found a number of really good songs from that year. Not all made the charts though.
ABC - Poison Arrow - I loved the 12'' mix which had a jazzy feel
Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
China Crisis - No More Blue Horizons (Fool Fool Fool)
The Clash - Rock The Casbah / Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Donald Fagen - New Frontier (actually all of "The Nightfly" album)
Duran Duran - Lonely In Your Nightmare - always my favourite non-hit track by DD
Falco - Der Kommissar - his first big hit
Genesis - You Might Recall
Gerry Rafferty - The Right Moment - simply a classic
Heaven 17 - Let Me Go
Herbert Grönemeyer - Currywurst (ok you might not get it...)
Icehouse - Street Cafe - classic track from a classic album
J.J. Cale - Don't Wait - representative of the "Grasshopper" album
The Jam - Stoned Out Of My Mind - excellent cover of the Chi-Lites track, early Style Council if you will
Madness - Our House (12'' Extended Version) - ok I know it drives some people crazy
Malcolm McLaren & The World's Famous Supreme Team - Buffalo Gals - just love it
Nena - Nur geträumt - her first big single
Paul McCartney - Ballroom Dancing - much better than the tedious Ebony & Ivory
Shalamar - I Can Make You Feel Good - my fav track from a brill album
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (all of the album)
Steve Winwood - And I Go - a romantic track with romantic memories
Tears For Fears - Mad World
Thomas Dolby - Radio Silence - representative of the album "The Golden Age Of Wireless", very appealing to an avid radio listener like me
Yazoo - Don't Go - this still makes me stomp my feet

So, not such a bad year after all.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Suefan
I think I might recognise two of those Vin, but I'm not banking on it!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

PattiForPM
I love these lists of favourites.  A great introduction to some quality tunes.  Thanks Vin

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

I reckon we shall see a little bit of Falklands footage, maybe a ZX Spectrum and perhaps a CD Player.

By the way, I like 80's power ballads and music generally right throughout the decade, but I do agree with you concerning the Hit Factory.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I like Ebony & Ivory, it's a bit of an ear-worm. Def. doesn't deserve to be labelled a "duffer" IMO.

The definitive (and funniest) story regarding Renee and Renata's Number One is given by Ron Atkinson, but sadly he might as well be under a Yewtree sanction for all the chance we have of seeing him as a talking head on anything these days. Good old Big Ron.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Some nice choices Vin...and about 10 I don't know.

Too many songs to mention, so my fave albums include:

Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age Of Wireless (Synth-pop with an inquiring brain)
Rupert Hine - Waving Not Drowning (Dark literate stuff from the Quantum Jump frontman)
Natasha - Captured (The pop representative)
Bill Nelson - The Love That Whirls (Diary Of A Thinking Heart): (Brilliant mix of left-field intelligent pop and instrumentals from Mr Maid In Heaven)
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84): (Ethereal filigree pop, nothing else quite like it)
Soft Cell - The Art Of Falling Apart - (Dark, sleazy, messed up, becoming less commercial)
Visage - The Anvil (Their peak, less synthy than their debut)

And possibly one or two more I've overlooked,

# We Love 82

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Old Grey Whistler
I also expect Janice Long to be featured as the first female presenter of the show.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
If the repeats get as far as 85 I'll be on as big a downer as Ryan, but I really like the pop scene and youth culture of this time and I found this another absorbing and very enjoyable couple of hours. And it looks like the repeats will continue to 83 judging by the customary micro-preview of the year ahead at the end of the documentary.

Who would have dreamt that The Land Of Make Believe contained a dig at the evil Thatcher? No-one, it was far too ill-defined. Bet Mr Sinfield was delighted with his fat royalty cheques filtered through the ruthless free market anyhow.

Interesting to hear Clive Clarke mention Hurll's obsession with crowd dancers riding roughshod over Flick's choreography.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

The Tears for Fears and The Clash tracks really stand out for me.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

A friend of mine is a mad Fizz fan and has mentioned the references before. We had a discussion about Simply Red's Wonderland at the same time.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1982 (17/06/16: 10 pm)

Gorgeous Daze
No-one bar mad Fizz fans then.