Quantcast

TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze
The Beeb have provided a seemingly pretty comprehensive preview for this year's 'Story' so there doesn't appear to be much scope for educated guesswork about the contents. Away from the big guns nice to see ER's acquaintance Tracie getting a wild card invite. But as Haysi Fantayzee only had two top forty hits, the bigger and far better-remembered of which was in 82, they've surely gatecrashed it.

I think for most of us it's a case of diminishing returns now. Me included, but though the music wasn't as good as in 82 in my book TOTP is still solidly in the era of classic pop and that makes for must-watch TV, dancers or none. For now.

Worth noting if there's the customary micro-preview of the next year's 'Story' at the end. If absent it might be a sign we're entering the last year to be repeated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087lmbd

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Legsfan
They do mention the 1000th edition a few times which I think they shouldn't as it is going to be Yewtree'd. Wonder how many people who were expecting this edition will contact the BBC about it because they mention it in the preview.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Everything'sRosie
Grr. It doesn't take long for the curse of Mike Smith to leave its mark, does it. First show of 1983! A seriously bad loss, that one. It featured the only studio performances of two bona fide classic records; Joe Jackson's Steppin' Out, and even more frustrating, The Story Of The Blues by Wah. Neither have been included in the Big Hits show either. I just wish whoever puts those shows together would do some research and check what's been Yewtreed and then include the best tracks in the compilation so they can be seen. Both records were huge hits. Same thing happened in 82 when we lost I'm a Wonderful Thing Baby by Kid Creole andThe Coconuts. Again a big big hit that was allowed to pass unnoticed.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze
I agree those are two very good records ER and the year's repeats are poorer without those appearances. I think we need a new word to distinguish performances hit by the Mike Smith veto. Bearing in mind his nickname I propose: 'Smittied'.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I totally agree with you ER and it's all so pointless.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

PattiForPM
Another vote for the term Smittied and for ER's lament

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
I think we need a new word to distinguish performances hit by the Mike Smith veto. Bearing in mind his nickname I propose: 'Smittied'.
What about O-smittied ?

I'd probably go with, "The epsidoe's been Smithed."

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Legsfan
The BBC has released some clips from tonights show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087lmbd/clips

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Away from the big guns nice to see ER's acquaintance Tracie getting a wild card invite.
Tracie trying to shift the blame onto Flick Colby for a wobbly appearance that she had on TOTPs

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

The Rubberband Man wrote
Gorgeous Daze wrote

That songs been Smited from existence!

She looked good for a fiftysomething though. Last time I saw her she had started to put on a few pounds but she seems to have shed them now. Perhaps she took Flick's advice and took up dancing

At the end it looks like they have mentioned 1984 as they have done in previous years, so it looks like we could have TOTP 1984 in the summer or next year.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Everything'sRosie
Someone on the Roobarbs forum has posted this link of a letter to Director General Tony Hall from Jonathan King. King is an unpleasant character but many of the points on the obvious double-standards practiced by the Beeb he brings up, we have pondered on here.

http://www.kingofhits.co.uk/content/view/1152/37/

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

I found this programme surprising entertaining, as with each passing year the show and the music is not really my cup of tea. Very surprised to hear that Tracie didn't take to kindly to the dance directors instructions, a certain Flick Colby. Even more surprised because if you listen to some on here, Ms Colby didn't have anything to do with the show in 1982 let alone the Summer of 83.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Wasn't Tracie also dancing next to Paul Weller on the Jam's TOTP performance of December 1982 number one "Beat Surrender"?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I despise King as a person, but I have to be honest and say that I agree with every single word of that letter.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
talking about looking good for a 50-something.....what about Jay Aston on Pop quiz! Wow!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Wasn't Tracie also dancing next to Paul Weller on the Jam's TOTP performance of December 1982 number one "Beat Surrender"?
Yes she was.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Willoway
After a rather grim picture painted here of Flick's late role in TOTP, surprise was my reaction  too when I watched this bit of the programme.

I thought Tracie might have mellowed about her TOTP experiences after 34 years, but at least how it was portrayed, she hasn't.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1983 (6/1/17 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze
As anticipated the usual absorbing couple of hours, though also a reminder of how things got too  poppy for me. But if you're gonna do it do then do it right, boy did they know how to produce good pop records back then.

And yes going on Tracie's choreographed misadventure (and she does look great now!) it's fair to assume that many more details of the performances bore the hand of Flick around this time.