TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Legsfan
Excellent review GD! I must admit that I haven't watched it yet as I was on the late shift, but your review has really gotten me excited about 1987!!
Don't worry I'm still here!

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Gorgeous Daze wrote
I think the obligatory mention of the 'greed is good' culture is indicative of the London-centric nature of the media and the middle class aspirational social world they mingled in. I encountered a few prats with that kind of mentality but the vast majority of the people I knew did not become more materialistic with the rise of Thatcherism. Nor do I imagine did the great majority of ordinary Londoners.
This. My experience entirely, and I'd say 99% of the population.

I enjoyed the documentary, but the reverence paid to Terence Trent Darby was ridiculous. He was just a pop star surely, not the visionary they were trying to paint him. If I remember correctly most people had him labelled as a knob from the start.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

PattiforPM wrote
No Stockbroker OGW?
No ferry.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

The Rubberband Man
I never knew how thankful we should be to EMI.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

The Rubberband Man wrote
That's right, "Pump Up The Volume" has gotta be the greatest record of the year, so it'll be good to see this coming up on TOTPs.
The video is on four times - three on regular episodes and then on the Christmas Day edition. All of these episodes are hosted by Mike Smith and Gary Davies, so it will not feature at all.

Surely if Gary Davies wants these editions broadcast again, then his wishes should supersede somebody who's no longer with us? I know it's not going to change now.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

The Rubberband Man
Who's That Hurll wrote
The Rubberband Man wrote
That's right, "Pump Up The Volume" has gotta be the greatest record of the year, so it'll be good to see this coming up on TOTPs.
The video is on four times - three on regular episodes and then on the Christmas Day edition. All of these episodes are hosted by Mike Smith and Gary Davies, so it will not feature at all.

Surely if Gary Davies wants these editions broadcast again, then his wishes should supersede somebody who's no longer with us? I know it's not going to change now.

Did Mike Smith host a series of consecutive TOTPs? He must have if the TOTPs when this record is at #1 are not going to be shown. It’s really not a good situation, and a very poor legacy that Mike Smith has left us with.
TOTPs must have been cutting down on the number of Radio 1 DJs who could present the show. Maybe they were looking for faces suited to tv rather than just a face for radio.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Who's That Hurll
Mike Smith and Gary Davies hosted four episodes in a row in Mid Sept/early Oct. That's a whole months music gone, including M/A/R/R/S.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Everything'sRosie wrote
I enjoyed the documentary, but the reverence paid to Terence Trent Darby was ridiculous. He was just a pop star surely, not the visionary they were trying to paint him. If I remember correctly most people had him labelled as a knob from the start.
I take it you won't be getting his latest album 'Introducing The Pretentious Midlife Crisis According To Sananda Francesco Maitreya' then ER?

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

Everything'sRosie
Actually, I was a bit harsh there. He was a little way up the food chain from a pop star as he did write and produce his own material; he was still rubbish though.  And amazingly Terence Trent D'arby was his real name.

Re: TOTP: The Story Of 1987 (4/1/19: 9pm)

I hope this (stupid) 4 week gap doesn't fit between a Thursday and Friday.