TOTPs 01/10/15 (Originally aired 25/09/80)

TOTPs 01/10/15 (Originally aired 25/09/80)

AC/PD
25-9-80: Presenters: Mike Read & Russ Abbot   (Thanks to POPSCENE for the listing)

(35)   BLACK SLATE – Amigo
(22)   SPLIT ENZ – I Got You ®
(13)   DIANA ROSS – My Old Piano (video)
(7)     QUEEN – Another One Bites The Dust (danced to by Legs & Co)
(8)     OTTAWAN – D.I.S.C.O. (video)
(16)   SHALAMAR – I Owe You One (video)
(43)   LINX – You’re Lying

         Brief clips of artists featured from No.'s 10 to 2 in the Top 10 rundown:
(10)   HAZEL O’CONNOR – Eighth Day (video)
(9)     SHEENA EASTON – Modern Girl (video)
(8)     OTTAWAN – D.I.S.C.O. (video)
(7)     QUEEN – Another One Bites The Dust (video)
(6)     ELVIS PRESLEY – It’s Only Love (clip of Legs & Co TOTP 11-9-80)
(5)     MADNESS – Baggy Trousers (video)
(4)     KELLY MARIE – Feels Like I’m In Love (video)
(3)     STEVIE WONDER – Masterblaster (Jammin’) (video)
(2)     RANDY CRAWFORD – One Day I’ll Fly Away (still picture)

(1)     THE POLICE – Don’t Stand So Close To Me (video)
(24)   CHANGE – Searching (crowd dancing) (and credits)

After a couple of months of going without, it's back! Making a welcome and long-awaited return, the sun's come out to brighten UK skies, warming the cockles of the heart, particularly last Saturday in the Derby area. As September gives birth to October, further guaranteed warmth is provided by the resumption of Top Of The Pops. 10 weeks overdue, BBC4 will once again be delivering 1980 editions on Thursdays at 7:30pm with the not so squished versions arriving in the wee, small hours of Fridays and at the weekend mid-point.
Clearance-wise, a tally of 9 permissible editions spread over a 13 week period, up to and including Christmas Eve, looks good for the birth-rate figures. However, an indefinite gestation period for 5 unborns is unfortunate with three D.L.T. shows and two containing Jimmy Savile - one being the Christmas Day edition - failing to be induced from the BBC womb.
With tonight's return comes a farewell or more accurately, a good riddance. Noisily done away with is the short-lived attempt to provide regular presenters with co-hosts in the form of singers with something to plug, be they records, films or upcoming tours. Even footballer Kevin Keegan had a piece of vinyl to promote, as did 'Cooperman' Russ Abbott: the execrable 'Space Invaders Meet the Purple People Eater'. Please don't punish the ears by listening to the non-charting record which should have been aborted at the earliest instance, let alone conceived at all.
Smooth reggae offers an easy-going, friendly start to the show with Amigo, courtesy of Black Slate, with one of their 1974 founders Desmond Mahoney on the skins, drumming and chewing so languidly whilst remaining in the upright position. Promoting themselves as a disco-reggae band, Black Slate toured extensively as back-up artists for visiting artists such as Ken Boothe of 'Everything I Own' fame, before branching out as an independent act and enjoying No.9 success with tonight's offering which centres on 'Jah', the Rastafarian name for God. Fear not about the freeze-frames and silence. Nothing wrong with the signal but merely a set of false endings after the 2 minute mark.
As with the opening act, the proceeding New Zealand outfit Split Enz make their TOTP debut in terms of those shown in the run of BBC4 repeats, thanks to a reshowing of their performance from the skipped Savile/Skinner September show (try saying that, Toyah). Police helmets worn among the audience was due to PC Ian Dury and The Blockheads who appeared on the very same show in Metropolitan uniforms. With a metronomic guitar intro, I Got You provides further evidence of the New Wave progression gathering speed in a year featuring a substantially eclectic cross-section of musical genres. Indeed, I Got You sounds like an early arrival from the following year of 1981.
In among the wearers of some curiously-cut vividly-coloured suits - drummer Malcolm Green must have gone missing when band went for their (ill) fitting - miming to a song which would reach No 12 in the UK, and top the charts in their native New Zealand are a couple of smart Finns : brothers Neil and Tim would later appear in melodic outfit Crowded House, the former a founder member and the latter for a brief period.
Ottawan's familiar D.I.S.C.O. video receives its one and only 1980 airing on this particular edition with Jean Patrick Baptiste and Annette Nosurname from Guadeloupe. A floor-filer both then and now, D.I.S.C.O. would S.T.A.L.L. in the No.2 position on three October occasions, held off the top spot by The Police and and a top quality Barbra Streisand number.
Ripe for a routine, D.I.S.C.O. will receive the Legs & Co. treatment, beginning with a certain dancer masquerading as part of the audience, under the protective wing of D.L.T. - viewable not on BBC4 but here on OFTD. Written by Queen's bassist John Deacon, Another One Bites The Dust is up there with The Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive, thanks to the basslines of both being within the medically-recommended '100–120 chest compressions per minute' range, as a timing guide for performing CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) - apposite song titles in this regard with the latter a reminder of the purpose and the former spelling out the outcome to avoid...
Some of us might require CPR after watching this particularly glovely Legs & Co. routine, which proves skimpiness isn't the sole method of exuding sexiness.
Another achievement is the fact that that not once does this preview mention the name 'Pauline'.
Oh.

If the show is half as fun to follow as this review it should be worth watching.
Welcome back to your rightful spot PD.

Thanks for the preview PD. It seems absolutely ages since we were all complaining about the last one - the show I mean not your preview.  This weeks show looks a bit average but I am particularly looking forward to seeing Split Enz. I was living in New Zealand back in 1980 and they were absolutely massive over there. I imagine that they are probably still NZ's most successful band.

fun edition, I enjoyed it, even the announcer saying, you wanted it you got it, before the opening of TOTPs.

Great stuff, nice preview PD......bad cuts thou in the show.

That was an almighty comeback for TOTPs, we're really at the business end of the decade, at the beginning more or less. There wasn't really anything that was bland enough to entice my attention elsewhere, if only the singles charts were this eclectic today!
My standout performances, apart from Legs & Co., of course, (fantastic again from them, by the way), Split Enz, Diana Ross, & Linx.
Mike Read was as great as he ever was, with a great rapport with Leo Sayer, & Russ Abbot was also very entertaining, & with the added bonus of him becoming 'Cooperman' at the end of tonight's programme.

Yes i also enjoyed the show, but kudos to Mike Read for putting up with those two. The guest presenters by now were for me totally unnecessary and add little to the proceedings.

Nice to have you back PD and another great preview. Just seen the arm-wrestling photo, mike would win hands down PD. And thanks again for your help on Saturday with the photo.

Well can the popular music boffins that are prevalent on OFTDs name the some of the other six records that went straight into the UK charts at number 1, as per Mike Reads introduction to The Police's `Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic`. I have no idea on that, but something tells me that maybe The Jam did so on `Going Underground` ?

Oh and no checking it on Google.

I think 'I Love You Love' by Gary Glitter did

I think possibly Slade might have achieved it but I'm not sure with which song.

Beatles - Get Back
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize
Slade - Skweeze Me Pleeze Me
Gary Glitter - I Love You Love Me Love
Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody
The Jam - Going Underground
Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me

followed by
Adam & The Ants - Stand & Deliver
The Jam - Town Called Malice
The Jam - Beat Surrender
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Lovely to have Legs & Co, PD and TOTP back.  This Show was middle of the road fare for me and I am truly fed up with the co-presenter experiment now but there were  some  good songs at least.  Mr Abbot starting with a rather off-colour Legs & Co gag has me convinced that the only comedy I ever recall liking on TOTP was John Peel's sarcasm but maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood.  I shouldn't be too critical though cos we're lucky to have our favoured Show back on the Air.  Oh and thanks for the CPR link PD; I know what I'll be thinking of the next time there's a Code Blue in our local ER

Chris
The following opening banter was excised from both showing last night. Clearly far too controversial for gone midnight.

Russ Abbott, dressed as a scout: "Welcome to this weeks Top Of The Pops! Unfortunately The Beatles will not be appearing tonight and you will not be grabbed by The Dooleys, but we do have Sooty & Sweep's latest record 'Sooty Goes Punk, ooh!"
Mike Read: "Listen, No Sooty"
Russ "No Sooty? Just a minute, who are you?"
Mike "Mike Read. Doing the show tonight"
Russ "Mike Read? (shakes his hand) Russ Abbott, bsc"
Mike "Hi Russ, bsc eh, Bachelor of Science!"
Russ "No, boy scout! Hahaha! Look at that kid, what do you think eh?"
(moves one leg around)
Mike "Who's that?"
Russ "Legs & Co!"
Mike "Can you do it with both of them?"

Russ "There's five isn't there?"
Mike "Don't be dirty! Right I think it's about time we got on with the show, right here we go"

VintageVideos wrote
Beatles - Get Back
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize
Slade - Skweeze Me Pleeze Me
Gary Glitter - I Love You Love Me Love
Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody
The Jam - Going Underground
Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me

followed by
Adam & The Ants - Stand & Deliver
The Jam - Town Called Malice
The Jam - Beat Surrender
It used to be a real achievement to do this, since about 1990 it happens all the time rather belittling Slade and The Jam's 3 straight in. I believe that Take That have twice had three singles in a row go straight in at No.1. It's so irrelevant a feat now it's very difficult to find a list of who's done it.

I seem to remember that The Jam used a marketing ploy of giving something away with Going Underground to get it to go straight in. It's a good record so I'm not complaining.
Still living in 1979

Lookmacinanger
Welcome back everybody, it feels a bit like the first day at school again but nothing has really changed over the summer holiday.

The spine of the show was built around fine songs from the Finns, diva Diana and those four above average students who met at UCL and whose track went on to attain mythical status in the yet to be mainstreamed musical genre of rap/ hip hop. Of course it probably helped that Another One Bites The Dust peaked at No1 on the billboard charts.

Until Mike Read mentions the feat I would have struggled to recall The Police came straight in at No1 with Don’t Stand So Close To Me but I certainly remember how big the band had become at this point in time. I can offer no explanation for the vintage run of Glam rock inspired straight in at No1 singles from 1973. Chas Chandler was a shrewd operator and along with the Holder/Lea writing combination saw and made the most of their opportunity.

Personally I’m adamant my own failing in being seduced into purchasing Stand and Deliver  during its first week of release helped propel it towards the number No1 position, but as the highwayman has stated previously ‘It’s kind of tough to tell a scruff the big mistake he’s making’. But we all learn from them I suppose.

A bit strange they chose to promote a boxing match on TOTP. Ironically the fight was one of the darkest days of British boxing as Minter was destroyed by Hagler, one of the best boxers ever, and the crowd at Wembley unhappy at the result rioted throwing many objects at the winner.
Still living in 1979

A bit too much Disco in the show and the guests just seem a waste of time. Split Enz and The Police tracks were both good. Trying to work out if those lacy outfits are really as see through as they appeared to be kept me interested. I wonder if something was going on behind the camera in the last few seconds as it looks like Rosie was trying to stifle a laugh just before the picture cut back to Mike Read.
Still living in 1979

Can anyone on here say hand on heart that since Michael Hurll took over as the executive producer, the programme has improved ? They say the improvements came later, well i will watch with keen interest as so far im not overly impressed.

The guests on the show have in most cases been a complete disaster, Cliff was the only one comfortable doing the job and there's been no sign of the party atmosphere yet.
I quite liked the new top 10 countdown when it was introduced and I thought putting the artists name up was helpful.
Still living in 1979

The return of PD's cracking previews and the show itself are the new signifier of autumn. Pull out an armchair and enjoy!

Not up with the very best editions but nevertheless there was nothing I disliked. Spit Enz looked like a new wave Showaddywaddy. Leo Sayer described I Got You as a 'lovely' song. I'm pleased at his positivity but that's a funny adjective to use for it that would be appropriate years later for Crowded House. A barely listening platitude, perhaps.

The guest co-presenter thing (apart from ONJ!) I'm glad to see the back of, but I do enjoy the pop news round-up. Hope that baby isn't Hurlled out with the bathwater.