TOTPs 02/06/16 (Originally aired 19/11/81)

TOTPs 02/06/16 (Originally aired 19/11/81)

AC/PD
19-11-81: Presenter: Steve Wright  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(17)  MODERN ROMANCE - Ay Ay Ay Ay Moosey
(3)    JULIO IGLESIAS  - Begin The Beguine (video)
(12)  THE PRETENDERS - I Go To Sleep
(26)  ABC – Tears Are Not Enough ®
(19)  DIANA ROSS – Why Do Fools Fall In Love? (video)
(30)  FUN BOY THREE - The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum)
(29)  TREVOR WALTERS - Love Me Tonight
(13)  SOFT CELL - Bedsitter (video)
(1)    QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - Under Pressure (performed to by Zoo)
(31)  THE JETS - Yes Tonight Josephine (audience dancing/credits)

From a pool of up to twenty, seven dancers were selected from Zoo for their debut performance to ELO's 'twilight'. For their third showing tonight, just four have the option of camouflaging themselves as best they can in amongst the TOTP cheerleaders and audience members. Thus far, a 'Spotters Guide To Zoo' would be a welcome publication to have at hand - Wesley, Foxy, Voyd, and Sharon receiving end credit notification.
Zoo's first No.1 dance performance is to a collaboration between two musical giants with a song which originated from neither Bowie nor Mercury but from Queen drummer Roger Taylor with a composition named 'Feel Like', which focused on the daily grind and love making it all more bearable. The loose demo features piano, Taylor's drums, May's exemplary guitar work and more of a story with the Mercury lyrics. Missing elements include any mention of the final 'Under Pressure' title and the iconic two-note bass riff. Come the eventual sessions, bassist John Deacon's riff was a frequent little noodle and one which suffered a small scare when, upon returning from lunch (solid rather than liquid) one day, the riff went right out of Deacon's head. Fortunately it permeated May's curly ear-muffs and embedded itself in his mind.
The Queen/Bowie alliance at the Mountain Studios, Switzerland was meant to be for a Queen song called Cool Cat but, unhappy with his contribution, Bowie's lyrics were removed. The final, released Under Pressure evolved from a jam session with much simplified lyrics written and wrapped around the scat vocals provided by both legends. Staying at No.1 for a fortnight, Under Pressure gave Queen their second UK chart-topper after 'Bo. Rhap.' and Bowie's third, following on from Space Oddity and Ashes To Ashes. The song reached No.43 in January 2016 as one of several downloads made available after David Bowie's untimely death a day after turning 69.
With their debut LP eight days from release, Bedsitter was the track chosen from it to become the 45 promoting the 33 1/3 piece of vinyl named as Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret - the home of Soft Cell's Tainted Love. Looking at the loneliness caused by the futility of frivolity and echoed in the repetitive synth lines, the video features Mark Almond caught in the grip of an early-life crisis, empty by day, struggling to convince himself otherwise at night. His hovel's a mess, the dripping tap experiments with the outcome of a sink when filled beyond capacity. A Fairy sits atop Almond's draining board offering Free Travel on British Rail, he's left the milk out of the curved fridge, sitting 'going off' beside an open window, a Bush radio at his bedside. London sights on show on the journey from Bedsit Land include, St. John's Wood Underground station - Art Deco bronze uplights illuminating the escalators, a long lost Wimpy bar in Piccadilly Circus, phone boxes from a time when a call could be made with 5p and the streets of Soho. The second of five consecutive Top 10 hits, Bedsitter reached No.4 in the UK Charts.
Following on from the debut single 'Stop Your Sobbing', 'I Go To Sleep' was the second instance of The Pretenders covering a song written by Ray Davies. Whereas the first appeared on the 'Kinks' album release from 1965, the latter existed only as a demo committed to tape in 1965 with Davies backing himself on evocative piano notes. Although given to one of Davies's favourite singers Peggy Lee to record, 'Brumbeat' band The Applejacks were first out of the cover traps. However, Chrissie Hynde and the band provided the requisite touch of beauty and simplicity to warrant the song's first instance of charting success. About to embark upon a relationship with Hynde, Davies conceived the song at the natural conclusion to a conception with first wife Rasa Dicpetris. Instead of pacing up and down and smoking feverishly, Ray penned the beautiful lullaby when becoming a father for the first time to daughter Louisa. Filled to the brim with longing, love and sweet dreams, a determined and imploring middle eight and French horn clouds, 'I Go To Sleep' reached No.7 in December, marking the final instance when the original line-up of Hynde, lead guitarist James Honeyman-Scott, bassist Pete Farndon and drummer Martin Chambers were all happy together. Over the course of two days in the middle of June 1982, Honeyman-Scott died from a drug-induced heart failure within 48 hours of being party to an emergency get-together in which Farndon was fired for excessive drug use.
In keeping with the recent TOTP revamp and since the show was last seen on BBC4, Michael Hurll introduced a US Chart Section into proceedings. Featuring a Top 20 rundown, the idea was an extension of one in use on Paul Gambaccini's Saturday afternoon Radio 1 show, the segment coming direct from New York. However, the history-tampering scissors will be out for a couple of snips, with the first of a regular series of splices in operation to surgically remove Jonathan King from the Top Of The Pops patient.

An excellent preview AC. I really do enjoy reading these before watching the evening's TOTPs

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
(1)    QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - Under Pressure (performed to by Zoo)
I suppose Zoo are "Under Pressure" to come with a better routine for tonight!

Was the Jonathan King American music scene review a regular weekly feature on TOTPs from now on, or was it something that just ran every few weeks or so?

Another good read AC, looks a good show. And a great version of a Kinks song. One of my favourite records at anytime, the kinks rocks.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hmmm looks like quite a strong edition this week. Quite hard to predict which 2 songs won't make the 730 cut
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Great analysis as usual AC, just packed with insight.  The Fun Boy Three number certainly rings true for me.

zenon
JK's segment ran roughly once a month.

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
(30)  FUN BOY THREE - The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum)
OFTD's signature tune (just kidding!)

I thought Zoo'z interpretation of the Queen/Bowie song to be quite watchable. Far better than the two they have done so far.

As no one is talking about this show, ive reverted to posting useless info like this...

I thought Zoo'z interpretation of the Queen/Bowie song to be quite watchable. Far better than the two they have done so far.
Yes I expect it was technically very good, but I found that by watching it I didn't really listen to the song and was left with a slightly empty feeling at the end. Perhaps the style is rather alien to what we expect to see.
Still living in 1979

Thanks AC for the preview!

Doc wrote
RYAN wrote
I thought Zoo'z interpretation of the Queen/Bowie song to be quite watchable. Far better than the two they have done so far.
Yes I expect it was technically very good, but I found that by watching it I didn't really listen to the song and was left with a slightly empty feeling at the end. Perhaps the style is rather alien to what we expect to see.
It wasn't as literal an interpretation of the song as it would have been with an L&C routine. Zoo'z was a very arty dance, which I though was ok. In fact Queen/Bowie/Zoo saved this edition of TOTPs, which I thought was otherwise a bit dull.

The Rubberband Man wrote
 In fact Queen/Bowie/Zoo saved this edition of TOTPs, which I thought was otherwise a bit dull.
Yes, you are not far wrong with that.

Thought it was a good show, I thought that the Pretender were good. And the Zoo routine was interesting to watch.

A pretty good show overall though still too busy at times.I really liked Julio,Pretenders and ABC(the dancing during the instrumental bit was good too).I also liked two songs which went over my head at the time,Fun Boy Three and Bedsitter.The Zoo routine was good and interesting.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Well I was gobsmacked by the difference in Zoo's routine from last week's. I thought it was a hypnotic, grown-up interpretation, much more nuanced and subtle than anything Flick ever devised for Legs & Co. I would have given it a 10. Was the black male dancer the same Floyd who used to sometimes guest with Legs & Co in 76/77/78?

The rest of the show was very good too. all in all a thoroughly enjoyable half-hour. And no JK! Yay!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Anita's Cheekbones wrote
 A Fairy sits atop Almond's draining board offering Free Travel on British Rail
Very droll! The same offer included Persil Washing Powder I remember cutting out the tokens!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

The Rubberband Man wrote
It wasn't as literal an interpretation of the song as it would have been with an L&C routine. Zoo'z was a very arty dance, which I though was ok. In fact Queen/Bowie/Zoo saved this edition of TOTPs, which I thought was otherwise a bit dull.
The literal moves were still there such as pushing each other to the under pressure line. Although I suppose it was a bit more subtle.
Still living in 1979

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Was the black male dancer the same Floyd who used to sometimes guest with Legs & Co in 76/77/78?
No long gone are the days when Jobsworth Floid would get the call from Flick to come and take up some valuable camera time. By this stage he was firmly on the other side, very much part of Hot Gossip.

I found myself doing other things when the dull acts came on and then going back for the occasional interesting one. Which is something I think I used to do during the 80's shows first time round until we got a video. Then the acts had about 20 seconds to impress me before the fast forward button got pressed.
Still living in 1979
12