TOTPs 03/06/16 (Originally aired 26/11/81)

TOTPs 03/06/16 (Originally aired 26/11/81)

26-11-81: Presenter: Mike Read  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(25)  THE JETS - Yes Tonight Josephine
(3)    EARTH, WIND & FIRE  - Let's Groove (video)
(23)  TOYAH - Good Morning Universe
(15)  CLIFF RICHARD – Daddy's Home (video)
(28)  IMAGINATION – Flashback
(18)  ULTRAVOX - The Voice (video)
(24)  KIM WILDE - Cambodia
(14)  KOOL & THE GANG - Steppin' Out
(1)    QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - Under Pressure (video/audience dancing/credits)

After their impressively artistic dance interpretation of Under Pressure, the Zoo creatures have been rounded up and returned to their cages. Quite why none of the herd managed to trot into the TOTP studio the fourth week after their debut is, thus far, something of a mystery. Wouldn't have happened with the old lot. Just as the reigning First Division League champions of the time Aston Villa triumphed by using just 14 players in a 42 game campaign, Legs & Co. managed to send out a full team most weeks...and they had a squad of only six. For all we know, members of Zoo could be mixed in with the cheerleaders - it can be hard to tell.
Completing the flight from the end of the previous edition to the beginning of this, The Jets touchdown in the studio and are thus far heard on as many editions as Zoo have been seen. Brothers Bob, Ray and Terry Cotton had a reel desire for the Doo-Wop and Rock 'n' Roll genres of the 50's when getting together with a non-brotherly fourth member to form Brad in 1974 before becoming a three piece family concern as The Jets in 1978. On tour, they've rubbed shoulders with idols such as Carl Perkins, The Crickets and Billy Fury. Not to be confused with the identically-named US act formed in 1985, the British brothers were to be seen once more on TOTP, performing Love Makes The World Go Round in February '82, reaching a position of No.21, four better than the final placement for Yes Tonight Josephine. George O'Dowd certainly likes the song...

Vocorder vocals on Let's Groove heralded Earth, Wind & Fire's electronic phase, getting off to a good start for parent album Raise! going Platinum with sales of over 1m in the U.S.A. and the fifth of their eleven L.P.'s released by that time to enjoy top status in the US album chart. An album standout, Let's Groove's chart success flew in the face of the prominent two year old 'disco backlash' with a No.3 position in the U.K. and Top 10 placements in France, Belgium, Ireland, Holland, Spain, Canada and New Zealand as well as the U.S.
Toyah's 'Good Morning Universe' is the track selected to represent the gusset-observer's second E.P., entitled 'Four More From Toyah' a title which reached No.14. with the assistance of a clever marketing scheme. Accompanying the first 100,000 copies of the E.P. was a flexi disc containing 'Stand Proud' which, as with the four E.P. tracks, was unavailable elsewhere. The result was that all four of Toyah's records released in 1981 reached the Top 20, an area she would no longer visit from 1982 onwards, commencing with May 1982's Brave New World which was unfortunate to go no higher than No.21 despite the distinctly Ashes To Ashes-ish video.

Much more sustained were Kim Wilde's chart fortunes throughout the rest of the 1980's but with Cambodia, she too would complete a run of four Top 20 hits in her breakthrough year of 1981. Once again, her moody look and mesmeric pout of near-Patti quality belie her nerves, crossing there and back the bridge between two platforms, one of which is eventually populated by a couple of TOTP cheerleaders breaking out the robotics. With a chart position which would subsequently be halved, the song tells the angst-ridden tale of an RAF pilot's wife wondering what became of her partner after failing to return from a flight to Cambodia with Vietnam war overtones. The decision to not show the official video for Cambodia was taken due to the site of Marty's eldest having a giant snake crawl across her horizontal body...so a Zoo member DOES make an appearance.

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
Just as the reigning First Division League champions of the time Aston Villa triumphed by using just 14 players in a 42 game campaign
An extraordinary achievement that'll never happen again. They were probably not as fit as todays players, many were known to have the odd beer or 6 the night before and it was still legal for the defender to try and injure the striker (sort of). Yet they didn't get anyone injured, amazing!
Still living in 1979

Thanks for the preview AC, and for yesterday's as well.

Thanks OGW. Sorry tonight's was late.

Flick's role has now been retitled.

Willoway
Interesting Flick was credited even though Zoo weren't listed. She was credited first as Dance Director in the 19/11/81 edition.
...is she really going out with him?

I suspect she was responsible for directing the dancing of all the imported people, not just Zoo.
Still living in 1979

Willoway
I always thought the chearleaders would be managed by the floor manager, I can't see Flick getting involved in people in loud clothes showing off to random tracks. But only a guess.
...is she really going out with him?

Judging by some of the antics they definitely needed a DD

Another great Preview AC.

Thanks for a great preview AC!

Quite a good edition and it was nice to see a new addition to TOTP which was the top 10 LP countdown which I actually think is a good idea now you can see LP and Singles chart all in one place! except I don't think the LP chart lasted that long and I do hope it re-appears in future editions. Its a shame we won't see a Queen/Bowie video but I think the BBC's attempt at one was quite poor but the extended audience dancing gave this edition a few extra seconds to enjoy the show. I was really surprised that Zoo was not in this edition even though there was a vacant position at the end which needed to be filled, but it was nice to see Flick Colby was credited as dance director for the cheerleaders (well I think) and it will be a real treat to see the lovely Sue dance on TOTP one last time. Not a bad show now I'm going to spend 15 minutes deciding who I should vote for!

The only other TOTP episode in this era I'm aware of to feature an album chart is 4.2.1982, which is a Peel episode so it'll be on soon.

Album chart rundowns (on a monthly basis) also featured on the show in 1990/1991, as well as the dreaded ALL NEW TOP OF THE POPS! period of 2003-2006.

Thanks for the info Colm

Thanks for both of this weeks previews ac, as always interesting and informative. It was nice to see Boy George clearly enjoying himself dancing along to the Jets record, but from what I remember about him at the height of his fame, this was exactly the kind of music he would be slagging off!

Not feeling this show at all tonight.  Enjoyed Earth Wind & Fire and for one brief moment I thought the dancer was from Zoo but then she was far too good.  Enjoyed Toyah and had never heard that since its release.  Cliff, Imagination and Ultravox all boring.  Really enjoyed Kim Wilde's track and play that quite often.  One of her best tracks.  The other tracks seemed fillers.  There did not need to be any dancers behind Kim Wilde at all.  No sign of Anita again and the dancers just seemed additional audience being thrown up in the air every ten seconds.  Poor show all round.  I am trying to work out what is the difference between a Dance Director and Choreographer.

A lot of big names but a poor show nonetheless. I caught myself constantly doing other things and not really watching attentively. Some of the videos looked quite cheap in retrospect.

Dancer wrote
....... I am trying to work out what is the difference between a Dance Director and Choreographer.
A choreographer is somebody who had made an outstandingly creative contribution to the show for over twelve years and whose experience, imagination, and creativity, were once valued and utilised to the fullest extent by sensible and sensitive former producers.

A dance director is a titular title bestowed upon a once valued individual (shamelessly relegated to the margin) by a producer with about as much style and panache as an inebriated warthog, but who laboured under the erroneous impression that he could 'choreograph' the entire show including what purported to be a selection of dancers.

Thank you Suefan.  Looks like Flick was treated pretty bad there then.

Willoway
Flick stayed for the duration of Zoo so she can't have been that upset.

If this is a correct analysis, bear in mind over many years she was involved to greater or lesser extents in the ternination of the GoJos, Mary and Lee, the male RFs and latterly L&C, all of whom (with the exception of poor Gavin maybe) could be said to be on top of their game so I imagine she took any career downswing philosophically.
...is she really going out with him?

Take out the Jets, that don't really do much that's great for me, & this week, it's just about perfect for me, everything else was great, especially Kim Wilde, very much a similar presentation as her debut, & just as mesmerising, she's absolutely fantastic, & so beautiful!