TOTPs 03/08/17 (Originally aired 19/04/84)

TOTPs 03/08/17 (Originally aired 19/04/84)

19-04-84 Introduced by Gary Davies & Peter Powell. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(9)    The Special AKA – Nelson Mandela
(2)    Thompson Twins – You Take Me Up (video)
(15)  Blancmange – Don’t Tell Me
(5)    Queen – I Want To Break Free (video)
(26)  The Bluebells – I’m Falling
         Jonathan King – US chart rundown
         Michael Jackson – Beat It (video clip)
         Weird Al Yankovic – Eat It (video clip)
         The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video clip)
         Phil Collins – Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) (video clip)

(25)  Nik Kershaw – Dancing Girls
(19)  OMD - Locomotion
(1)    Lionel Richie – Hello (video)
(11)  Kool & The Gang – (When You Say You Love Somebody) In The Heart (audience dancing/credits)

Introducing the hits of April 1984 are Gary Davies and Peter Powell. This week we have a very long live edition which is slightly shortened due to the Jonathan King segment being edited out for obvious reasons, though on the topic of JK I seem to remember seeing something in the papers about him this week with more accusations of dodgy things, so you know for the rest of his chart rundowns, they will be wiped from BBC Four’s catalogue.

Now on to the music where we have the Special AKA with their hit Nelson Mandela which is sure to make a huge impact on the cause of releasing Nelson Mandela, and also to making the Special AKA a group making an impact in the 1980s. Next the Thompson Twins (trio) with You Take Me Up which of course is the first video of the evening. I was hoping that this would make it to number one and knock Lionel Richie off the top spot, well because Hello’s video is way too long, but unfortunately the Thompson Twins’ song is at its peak.

I seem to remember this next group having huge success on Top of the Pops for a while, but then not being on it for ages, yes it was Blancmange I was thinking about, but they are back on Top of the Pops live with Don’t Tell Me. Queen have firmly secured themselves as a band of the 80s as well as the 70s. A couple of weeks ago it was Radio Ga Ga on Top of the Pops, but today it is I Want To Break Free which is one of their most remembered videos. I’m sure nearly all of us have seen the video, but even today the video is widely spoken about.

Nik Kershaw follows Jonathan King’s banned segment. He performs Dancing Girls which is the latest single he performs on the show since Wouldn’t It Be Good which I seem to remember going down really well, though some weren’t too keen on the mix of a studio performance and a video, I thought it worked really well. Now its OMD with Locomotion, though can I even remember what OMD look like? Ah yes I do now. It has been a while since they were last heard of, though I’m sure this song will be very successful.

Lionel Richie is still at number one with Hello. I really hope they show a shorter version tonight because well this isn’t one of 1984’s best videos and those love ones really aren’t my cup of tea, well expect to see Lionel and his lady friend at number one next week. The end of this live edition now and we have Kool & The Gang’s song to play the show out with the small audience in the background dancing, while the cheerleaders are in the prime studio area doing their thing.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Simon Bates & Janice Long.

Legsfan wrote
I seem to remember this next group having huge success on Top of the Pops for a while, but then not being on it for ages, yes it was Blancmange I was thinking about....
It's like they desserted us for a while ....

Thanks for another fab preview Legsfan.

If only Top Of The Pops had a troupe of dancing girls to accompany Nik Kershaw

Good to see a link to the troupes' era still going with Sandy one of Nik Kershaw's Dancing Girls. A title that was too good to resist putting into reverse gear for!

This wont be of interest to many, but one thing i noticed in the end credits was a mention of British film and TV producer and director Ed Bye who at this stage of his career was simply listed as a Production Manager.

He later went on to produce and direct a whole range of BBC British comedy and still does to this day.

Microphone gone in OMD

Not watched it yet, but I believe Sandy and Tricia are back, so I'm excited.

(Although not as excited as I would have been had Sue and Rosie been in it!)

Quite a good review there.  Show was fair.  Specials AKA - pass, Thompson Twins video was very good and the song also.  Good to hear it a second time.  Good performance by Blancmange.  Queen's video was good but this would be their demise in America from hereon in.  They were not accepted over there because of this.  The songs became autobiographical too.  This was the time when Freddie first met the late Jim Hutton.  Never heard the Bluebells song before. Nik Kershaw was okay but I was looking at the dancers/cheerleaders in the background especially the one wearing the snood.  She could certainly move and encouraged movement around the floor.  I noticed how she was at the back of the crowd for the next song.  OMD's song was good but always sounded like DIY shop music (Dodge City).  Lionel Richie's video I fast forwarded.  The first time ever but I really hate the song and video.  Kool and the Gang were good.  I noticed the balloons were back too.

NickGregory92
Overall, a very good show with some decent songs on it, especially from Queen, Thompson Twins and OMD. Also good to see the show return back to its original studio and surroundings.

And of course it was great to see Sandy back and looking lovely as always, especially dancing to Nik Kershaw.

I was interested to read (on Wikipedia) the characters portrayed at the start of IWTBF were based on Coronation Street, not a show i've ever watched though.

Nick Kershaws track had a nice electro bassline sound to it, matched by Sandys quite captivating robotic style dancing, very nice.

Nick you're right about the studio being back to normal at last, seems like the so called "industrial action" went on for weeks, even though we are on a relative fast forward mode.

Oh, one other thing its a shame the dramatic Dr Mabuse by Propaganda was not featured as it dropped the following week .

More scores for this edition.

The Special AKA – Nelson Mandela 7/10
Thompson Twins – You Take Me Up (video) 5/10
Blancmange – Don’t Tell Me 5/10
Queen – I Want To Break Free (video) 10/10
The Bluebells – I’m Falling 4/10
Nik Kershaw – Dancing Girls 6/10
OMD - Locomotion 0/10
Lionel Richie – Hello (video) 1/10
Kool & The Gang – (When You Say You Love Somebody) In The Heart (audience dancing/credits) 4/10

Overall I would give this edition a 4/10

Legsfan wrote
Queen – I Want To Break Free (video) 10/10
The American's hated that video so much a lot of people stopped buying their records!

Queen were never that big in America. Their last substantial US hit (Top 10) had been "Another One Bites The Dust" in 1980.
IWTBF went gold in the US in 2014 by way of digital downloads:
https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=Queen&ti=#search_section
Vin

The US record buying public seemed to be quite different in a number of ways.  Taking offence at the Queen Vid reminds me a bit of all that political nonsense with the Dixie Chicks.  At least they seemed better immunized than us against the stupid quirky one-off hits we fell for time after time I suppose

Mikey wrote
Oh, one other thing its a shame the dramatic Dr Mabuse by Propaganda was not featured as it dropped the following week .
Absolutely Mikey. And the album it eventually appeared on, A Secret Wish, is fantastic.

Also a pity Shannon having more rough luck with Give Me Tonight (a Hi-NRG Let The Music Play and very nearly as good) dropping without being featured.

Thanks for the heads up on Propaganda tune lads, I didn't recall it at all but just listened/watched and it is indeed quite good

Another German band that was successful in the UK. Interestingly, in 1985 Propaganda were joined by two former members of Simple Minds.
Vin

Their popularity just went downhill from this video.  Their fans were outraged and Freddie was most shocked.  This also happened with the Pet Shop Boys when they released their Domino Dancing video, there was uproar and that was the end of them over there.