TOTPs 03/11/17 (Originally aired 15/11/84)

TOTPs 03/11/17 (Originally aired 15/11/84)

15-11-84 Introduced by Bruno Brookes & Mike Read. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  Matt Bianco – Half A Minute
(2)    Duran Duran – The Wild Boys (video)
(38)  Slade – All Join Hands
(24)  Eurythmics – Sex Crime (1984) (video)
(3)    Jim Diamond – I Should Have Known Better
(28)  The Dazz Band – Let It All Blow (video)
(31)  Alvin Stardust – I Won’t Run Away
(17)  Nik Kershaw – The Riddle
(1)    Chaka Khan – I Feel For You (video + brief interview)
(14)  The Pointer Sisters – I’m So Excited! (audience dancing/credits)

Bruno Brookes makes his BBC Four debut tonight and he is assisted by Mike Read. Some good news then that we haven’t got another Mike Smith case here, so we’ll get to enjoy more editions of Top of the Pops now that we only have one banned presenter.

Matt Bianco are back with Half A Minute. They really made it big earlier in 1984, but now I couldn’t stand their first song, so I doubt I will like this one. I might skip this, though that depends if I remember to record this edition unlike last night’s TOTP!
Duran Duran are at number two with The Wild Boys. We will be seeing the video tonight, but this is why I love Chaka Khan because she came from nowhere to keep Duran Duran off the top spot!

Slade, not Sade are back with All Join Hands. Slade are always a welcome sight on Top of the Pops and I will be looking forward to this performance, as I do with all Slade appearances. They’ve still got the talent!
The Eurythmics are date checking with Sex Crime (1984). I didn’t think the word Sex could be said on Top of the Pops, but come on, it’s the Eurythmics! They’re pop royalty!

Jim Diamond’s future number one is at number three this week with I Should Have Known Better. I listened to this on a banned edition and I must say I am surprised that it made it to number one, then again it’ll only be there for one week.
The Dazz Band make their first Top of the Pops appearance, though in video form with Let It All Blow. I don’t think I have ever heard of The Dazz Band, so I am intrigued to learn more in this edition.

Like Slade, Alvin Stardust is always welcome on Top of the Pops and it seems that he has once again re-emerged just in time for Christmas with I Won’t Run Away. Very talented and I look forward to this performance.
In my opinion, The Riddle is the only Nik Kershaw song that I find bearable, so this is a treat to see him perform in the Top of the Pops studio once again.

Chaka Khan, I think I love you! You’re in the Top of the Pops studio giving an interview after your number one hit is played! Strangely when I woke up this morning I heard this song, so even in 2017 she is still having success with this hit.
The Pointer Sisters are excited that they haven’t fallen under the Yewtree ban, though we only have the audience dancing/credits to I’m So Excited. Not a huge loss there.

Next Thursday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by John Peel & Tommy Vance.

Thanks for another great preview Legsfan, this show looks better than last nights one.

Thank you sueforever.

(24)  Eurythmics – Sex Crime (1984) (video) - Savile, DLT and Boy George's favourite record

38)    Slade – All Join Hands
(3)    Jim Diamond – I Should Have Known Better
(28)  The Dazz Band – Let It All Blow (video)
All cut from the early show. Instead the BBC decided to show Queen, Elton John and something else between the end of The Good Old Days and the start of TOTPs     Why not just show the full length TOTPs instead hacking the show to bits when it doesn't seem necessary.

Next week, full 40 minute show at 8.20.

The Rubberband Man wrote
38)    Slade – All Join Hands
(3)    Jim Diamond – I Should Have Known Better
(28)  The Dazz Band – Let It All Blow (video)
All cut from the early show. Instead the BBC decided to show Queen, Elton John and something else between the end of The Good Old Days and the start of TOTPs     Why not just show the full length TOTPs instead hacking the show to bits when it doesn't seem necessary.
Indeed, what a strange editorial decision. They're skipping a whole edition in a couple of weeks time because of Gary Glitter, when a simple edit would have sufficed.

Magicmarker
Last nights 1 am showing was the full version including Slade, Jim Diamond and the Dazz Band.

Always good to see Slade refusing to give up the ghost, even with another calculated attempt to build their way to a Christmas No.1. But I'm puzzled. With 'All the girls getting kissed in the ballroom' and 'All the boys Brahms and Liszt on the floor', then who pray was kissing the girls?

By coincidence both Noddy Holder and Alvin Stardust went on to respectively star and appear in The Grimleys, the nineties sit-com set in the seventies in a town where people spoke properly. Noddy as a teacher then headmaster, Alvin serving those getting Brahms and Liszt.

Legsfan wrote

(1)    Chaka Khan – I Feel For You (video + brief interview)
What an excellent interview. I learned so much that I never knew....

LOL
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.