TOTPs 04/03/16 (Originally aired 14/05/81)

TOTPs 04/03/16 (Originally aired 14/05/81)

14-05-81: Presenter: Tommy Vance    (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(24)   THIN LIZZY - Are You Ready?
(23)   SHEENA EASTON - When He Shines ®
(22)   DEPARTMENT S - Is Vic There?
(20)   KIM CARNES - Bette Davies Eyes (video)
(10)   TENPOLE TUDOR - Swords Of A Thousand Men
(1)     ADAM & THE ANTS - Stand And Deliver (video/credits)

Questions galore here, such as 'Are You Ready?', 'Is Vic There?', 'Why have we jumped from Easter '81, through May Day and into the middle of next month in the space of 24 hours?', 'Is this the only edition to feature acts in ascending chart order?', 'Where are Legs & Co.?' and 'Why is this edition only 19 minutes long?'
To answer the third question first, after last night's broadcast of the 16th April show came a Yewtree double-bill with one from the 23rd hosted by Dave Lee Travis and then the Savile-hosted 30th April programme. The first edition of May 1981 was presented by Peter Powell, another one to be skipped but fear not - he's still safe to be seen as an entertainment host. On 7th May 1981, for the first time in a decade, Top Of The Pops was broadcast LIVE. Although Top Of The Pops was always intended to be shown once only in the UK, a recording was made for preservation by the BBC Film & Videotape Library. By muting the sound feed from Peter Powell's mic, the corporation would have a show able to be sold and broadcast overseas (either complete or split into individual performances) with silent patches over which foreign language introductions could be dubbed. Whether the the recording with mute links was carried out at the time or at a subsequent stage, the BBC possess no 'as broadcast' version to screen, hence the 'production quality reasons' explanation for the omission.
Why is this edition only 19 minutes long? Blame Tommy. Tommy Hutchison. The previous Saturday, having scored a thunderous header for Manchester City in the 100th F.A. Cup final the previous Saturday, with the finishing line in sight, the veteran midfielder proceeded to break from City's defensive wall when faced with a Glenn Hoddle free kick and deflect a ball which was heading for a goal kick into the net. Quite a day for the oldest man to play in the Final to score at both ends. Since John Logie Baird's invention, only one FA Cup Final had gone to a replay. 1970's classic Cup Final between Leeds United and Chelsea had gone to a replay, taking place on a Wednesday night in late April (A record 28 million watched the broadcast of that particular kick-fest). With Top Of The Pops going out on a Thursday, all well and good.
However, by the late '70's, replays were pencilled in for Thursday evenings so when ink was required for the 1981 occurrence and in order to show the 7:30pm kick-off, the BBC removed Tomorrow's World from the post-Nationwide slot and replaced it with a Top Of The Pops edition recorded in a shortened format, clocking in at 19 minutes to conclude before going straight to Wembley  for a 15 minute build-up at 7:15pm.
Where are Legs & Co.? Backing only for Tenpole Tudor? However, they do put in a 'solo' appearance during the Top 10 Chart rundown dancing to Dutch medley-mashers Starsound's 'Stars On 45' which featured a couple of Lennon/McCartney soundalikes amalgamating portions of eight pre-66 Beatles songs strangely proceeded by Shocking Blue's Venus and Sugar Sugar by The Archies. What's curious about Legs & Co's 27 second chart showing is that the ladies performed a dance routine to Stars On 45 the week before. However, rather than utilise a still or a segment from then to represent Starsound, we're shown part of a brand new dance - Legs & Co. performing in the highest of green dresses before an empty studio. Beside a future chart representation, no more of the dance was ever shown so why were they there? Was a full dance performed and recorded to cover for the possibility of a mooted act failing to show? Did a smitten Patti end up getting a ticket to Wembley to cheer on Ossie Ardiles? Questions galore here too.

Another great Preveiw PD, It would interesting to find out about legs and Co routine, just why there didn't repeat the orignal version. I wonder if our friend Sue Know, and is there a full version of tonight routine.

Hey PD, enough of the Ossie Ardiles and Patti stuff.  She expressed a clear preference in interviews for mediocre defensive midifeld football players with partially healed 2nd team rugby injuries

Another brilliant preview PD
I'm looking forward to seeing Tenpole Tudor and “Swords Of A Thousand Men”.
It's a good pub rock sing-along to record, but too often the lyrics are not heard clearly. To help you all out, I’ve listed to the record a few times, and I’m positive the words are ….

“Viva Picasso
And back from the war.
Batteries in my baby
And the fire bird store.
Hurrah for the "Iranian Stones"!
All our stories are written in snow.
Hear them shout, hear them roar,
They probably all had a barrel of fudge,
And a shawl….”

Of course our gals in white can be seen seen accompanying (well dancing about the place) Tenpole Tudor in this.

Had a wry smile about the fact that they showed a small clip of the Spurs song in the chart run-down, and finished it of with a Man City goal against them from the previous Saturday.

I've no idea as to why this edition's only 19 minutes long, on BBC Four, I've just looked at the BBC Genome website for the BBC One programme schedule for 14/05/1981, & TOTPs is actually in a 40-minute slot running 1920-2000, so it looks like half of the programme has been edited out, that's a 50% reduction in content, by my reckoning.
This would've been what the Radio Times had listed, for that date, it looks like their was a last-minute schedule change, & TOTPs had to be abridged,more whatever reason(s)
Anyways, from what we could see, Kim Carnes easily came out best for me, Departmnt S, were a hoot, with the frontman, using his mcrophone as a telephone handset.
Sheena Easton, as Tommy Vance said, has a great voice on this track.
Tenpole Tudor, & Thin Lizzy, didn't really do mch for me.
Adam & the Ants, deserved their #1 single position.
Alas Legs & Co., were confined to clips on the chart rundowns.

I think you'll find the subject has been discussed in great detail here.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTP-14-5-81-tp4113448.html
Still living in 1979

I know this was a short TOTPs and Legs & Co did not dance a full routine (though they did feature in the chart run down and on Tenpole Tudor) but i wonder when the last occasion was when the resident dance troupe did not get their name on the end credits (the 1960s i guess). On saying that, only Mikey Hurll & Gordon Elsbury managed to get onto the credits on this anyway.

More BBC bungling i reckon as Toyah Wilcox somehow gets a mention on the iplayer intro.

Paperboyplod wrote
Alas Legs & Co., were confined to clips on the chart rundowns.
and on Tenpole Tudor.

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

zenon
Everyone would have known about the 20 minute cutdown since the previous Saturday when Wembley couldn't find a winner.

I think I opened a Thread about this a while ago Andy and really hoped there was a full length version somewhere (as it is the only Legs Chart Rundown clip remaining without a longer version) but I believe Sue told us that this was not the case and that this was just done as a brief clip.  Sad, as those green dresses and their wearers are looking particularly fetching

Yes with no audience in view either, i get the impression the short dance routine was filmed earlier in the day with the sole intention of using it for the chart run-down only.

I think Cheza looks real fit in those gold coloured trousers.

Paperboyplod wrote
I've no idea as to why this edition's only 19 minutes long, on BBC Four, I've just looked at the BBC Genome website for the BBC One programme schedule for 14/05/1981, & TOTPs is actually in a 40-minute slot running 1920-2000, so it looks like half of the programme has been edited out, that's a 50% reduction in content, by my reckoning.
This would've been what the Radio Times had listed, for that date, it looks like their was a last-minute schedule change, & TOTPs had to be abridged,more whatever reason(s)
The reason for the 19 minute length of this particular edition was given a full explanation in the preview, PBP.
Here's a handy link to find the preview :
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTPs-04-03-16-Originally-aired-14-05-81-tp4113626.html

Pauline's Dimples wrote
(1)     STAND & DELIVER - Adam & The Ants (video/credits)
Other way round PD

Nice footie facts too

Another question, was Kim Carnes badly in need of a lozenge?

Agree about the gold trousers Ryan.

Old Bill
More BBC bungling i reckon as Toyah Wilcox somehow gets a mention on the iplayer intro.

I can only imagine it's been catalogued like that, still BBC bungling but it may have been a bungle from 1981!
Jeremiah 31:13
12