TOTPs 04/03/16 (Originally aired 14/05/81)

Now adjusted, Mikey!
Imagine a duet between Kim Carnes and Bonnie Tyler.

Ok, now i'm imagining Kim and Bonnie singing 'i know him so well' in a gravel-voice off

Old Bill
Pauline's Dimples wrote
 Although Top Of The Pops was always intended to be shown once only in the UK, a recording was made for preservation by the BBC Film & Videotape Library. By muting the sound feed from Peter Powell's mic, the corporation would have a show able to be sold and broadcast overseas (either complete or split into individual performances) with silent patches over which foreign language introductions could be dubbed. Whether the the recording with mute links was carried out at the time or at a subsequent stage, the BBC possess no 'as broadcast' version to screen, hence the 'production quality reasons' explanation for the omission.
Is this right? Are you saying that the muted-Powell was done on purpose? Surely they could easily remove / fade his audio, or remove him completely from a complete recording afterwards. Or even leave it for the other broadcaster to worry about - after-all lots of Johnny Foreigners still speak the Queen's English. Seems very odd that it would intentionally recorded like that, and would result in two high-quality recordings having to be made each programme.

'Is this the only edition to feature acts in ascending chart order?' - and three (almost 4) of them consecutive?!

Sorry to add more questions! Great write up - and that bloody Tommy Hutchinson! Grrrr.
But may I pose another one. Is Dept S the only act while singing a telephone-song to hold his mic like a telephone? Although what was the song where the singer just sang into a telephone? Catchy number, just one long list of innuendos. Damn, can't remember her name. Was the song title just the phone number in question....?

TV - "Andy Peebles goes for Manchester". Ummm Manchester what? And amusing to see Buck's Fizz turning up at a rainy Harrod's millionaire-style in a convertible roller, and the driver putting the roof up once they'd got out! :-)

You have to wonder though, that with Tenpole Tudor, with such an enthusiastic audience what's the point of getting Legs up there too, especially as they hardly feature other than in the background. Because they're getting paid anyways so might as well be used? Or are they knowingly being slowly faded out towards the end of their run? Having filmed the Stars of 45 bit earlier surely they could have let them go home early that day. Obviously Lulu & Sue were looking forward to watching Spurs!

Jeremiah 31:13

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hey Baby its the Telephone Man?
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Old Bill
That's the one!! Hey lolly lolly! Brilliant song.
Jeremiah 31:13

Thanks for the very informative preview PD, providing indispensable reading in what I know are painful circumstances. My spring was also tarnished, with my most hated team winning the League. I can only imagine how I'd have felt if Villa had gone on to win the F A Cup. Hang on...

Yep. What a pity this Stars On 45 was only made as a snippet. I actually like the original composition which forms the intro of Stars On 45 and I think the medley is much better than what we got later in the decade with Jive Bunny, which was to me dumbed-down.

Old Bill
Yeah, Toyah was in listed in the archive and probably dates back to the original TX date. The song they thought was in there was "I Want to be Free".

"ARCHIVE DESCRIPTION
 Tommy VANCE Intros The Pop Prog Inc:Toyah WILCOX, Shenna EASTON,Thin Lizzy, Department S,Tenpole Tudor,Sheena Easton,Kim Carnes,Adam And The   Ants.Performance By Legs And Co.> Ex Lib, Promo Vt, Studio"

Interestingly there's also a "Shenna Easton" listed, thankfully she didn't appear in the programme either - Sheena Easton was more than enough.
Jeremiah 31:13

Sheena may be nice to look at, but that song was just . Fast forward fodder.

Old Bill
Indeed! I was waiting for something to happen,  some catchy Morning Train type thing. But no... who was buying this stuff?!
Jeremiah 31:13

This was a really good show.  As stated in my vote I so enjoyed Sheena Easton and really loved the song and it has stuck in my head all day.  Seriously want to get all her back catalogue albums now.  I queried the Stars on 45 Legs & Co dance to myself as I was sure I had seen a different one to the green dresses.  Those green outfits looked really lovely but I am sure I have another routine of them dancing to this and they are in casual attire.  I have got to search my collection but I may have it wrong.  Presume from now on in we are then deluged with copious medleys as the Starsound album was about to go to No.1.

Really enjoyed the Kim Carnes Bette Davis eyes performance and it would may be have had my vote had they not edited the song but the video was good and also the performance.  Enjoyed the Jacksons too.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Hi dancer, if you watch the missing episodes that Mikey has put up links to, I think you will see the stars on 45 routine that you remember
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Thank you very much Rosie's number one fan.  I am sure I have it.  I never really liked the one I have but the green dresses routine looked really good especially Patti's smile.  Regards.

Is this the one you mean Dancer?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uqewn

I have deleted some of the posts on this thread.