TOTPs 05/02/16 (Originally aired 12/03/81)

TOTPs 05/02/16 (Originally aired 12/03/81)

AC/PD
12-03-81: Presenter: Tommy Vance    (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(13)    THE TEARDROP EXPLODES – Reward ®
(6)      KIM WILDE - Kids In America (video)
(41)    LINX  - Intuition (video)
(22)    KELLY MARIE - Hot Love ®
(8)      FREEEZ - Southern Freeez ®
(9)      STATUS QUO - Something 'Bout You Baby I Like (video)
(15)    BEGGAR & CO. - (Somebody) Help Me Out ®
(38)    LANDSCAPE – Einstein A Go-Go (video)
(14)    TALKING HEADS - Once In A Lifetime (danced to by Legs & Co.) ®
(37)    SHARON REDD – Can You Handle It? (background music prior to chart rundown)
(17)    KIKI DEE - Star ®
(5)      COAST TO COST - (Do) The Hucklebuck ®
(1)      ROXY MUSIC - Jealous Guy (video/credits)

A brand new entry this week - from nowhere but now riding high in the charts, it's 'Industrial Action' by The TOTP Studio Engineers. Dropping out completely is the Top Of The Pops audience leaving Tommy Vance flying solo to present a cobbled together show consisting of five videos and seven acts represented by repeat performances from recent shows. Even the Legs & Co. routine is a repeat, but in a rare moment of good fortune for BBC4 viewers, the dance is lifted from the recently unseen DLT edition from 19-2-1981, as is the opening act originating from Liverpool, post-punk semi-psychedelic group The Teardrop Explodes, whose name was taken from the artwork panel portrayed in a Daredevil super-hero comic. The groups ex-keyboardist Paul Simpson leafed through the comic, discovered in among a pile of reading material left behind by a previous occupant of the very first bedsit he moved into in 1978. In alliance with Spiderman, DD confronts Sub-Mariner in Central Park with a teardrop-shaped vessel descending from the sky.

Appealingly psychedelic, the group which had bandied about names such as A Shallow Madness and A Russian Beauty settled upon the unusual title from the discarded 1971 comic. The Teardrop Explodes were rewarded with a No.6 UK Chart position during a 13 week run, their most successful before disappearing from view in two years time.
Screening the Intuition video helped Brit Funk act Linx's ascent to a No.7 position by the following month, assisted by an in-studio appearance once the short-lived strike was at an end. Playing the 'Big Mamma' trying to keep control of her mischievous sons in the flashback parts is the talented actress, singer and revue artiste Bertice Reading from Chester (the Pennsylvania locale), whose previous roles had included playing jazz singer Bessie Smith in a much acclaimed role in the 1950's revue The Jazz Singer. Entirely self-deprecating, Bertrice played a similar role in Lenny Henry's 1984 spoof of the Thriller video, whacking 'Whacko' around the back of the head and leading him off by the ear'ole - the following year she's don a pink tu-tu for a sugarplum-fairy sequence in her Every Inch A Lady show.
                                                            An ultra rare 'once in a lifetime' deviation from the natural order...

Were Legs & Co. to have appeared alongside Linx when performing Intuition the following month as a perfect inspiration for audience dance participation, the future Mrs David Grant might not have approved - the wholesome former TOTP cheerleader, Carrie 'push 'em up' Grant.
As it is, Legs & Co . find themselves fully immersed in the flowing madness of Talking Heads asking how we got where we are in a watery video/dance routine amalgamation with the ladies in an unblinking state of futuristic emotional detachment. Move over, Buck Rodgers - it's Legs & Co. in the 25th Century.

I was thinking the other day that I remember The Tear Drop Explodes opening the show, so it I suppose it was this one. I very certainly remember Einstein a Gogo being on the show but have forgotten what the video was like, I have a feeling that it was a bit weird. It obviously had an effect on me as I bought their LP, which proved to be a mistake as I think I only played it once. The other bit I can remember was the relief at finally having a decent No.1 again. I enjoy watching these shows where I still have a memory of seeing it first time as it's interesting to see how accurately I have remembered it. In some cases time has built up quite a distorted image of the events.
Still living in 1979

Yet another great preview PD, looking forward for tonight show. I dont thinks it as good as last night programme. But I might change my mind when I see it.

I think Tommy was going a little over the top with the gushing praise both before and after Legs & Co's `Once In A Lifetime` routine. Its okayish i grant ya, but not one you would play to often.

There's heaps of repeat performances there, so I'm just gonna mention the first timers, Landscape, are certainly a highlight, a great video there, Sharon Redd, I think appeared, in this early BBC Four broadcast, but I can't exactly remember, these goddamn edits for time!
This meant no Linx, & it's quite a decent track also. Legs & Co., thankfully gave us an encore with a performance that'd otherwise only have appeared during a programme, affected by Operation Yewtree, or rather Auntie's adverse reaction to that.
Also worth mentioning, Kiki Dee, with her name, quite literally in lights, appeared to have no audience in front of her, it looked decidedly weird!

I'm no expert on these things but the picture quality of this routine on my TV looked much more vibrant than I've seen it before.

I think Tommy was going a little over the top with the gushing praise both before and after Legs & Co's `Once In A Lifetime` routine. Its okayish i grant ya, but not one you would play to often.
It looks a 100 times better in BBC 4 HD  than it ever did in 480p fuzzy vision.
Still living in 1979

Mikey wrote
I'm no expert on these things but the picture quality of this routine on my TV looked much more vibrant than I've seen it before.
It does look reasonably sharp, although it's still more blurry than it could be.
Still living in 1979

Doc wrote
RYAN wrote
I think Tommy was going a little over the top with the gushing praise both before and after Legs & Co's `Once In A Lifetime` routine. Its okayish i grant ya, but not one you would play to often.
It looks a 100 times better in BBC 4 HD  than it ever did in 480p fuzzy vision.
Yes of course, that there is no doubt. But it still wouldn't make my top 200, but the way Tommy was going on one would think its a masterpiece of choreography. Still, praise is praise and im pleased he liked it, which is afterall the main aim.

Ironically it looks quite good now it can be seen clearly, but I would have thought that a 1980s TV would have struggled with all the overlays.
Still living in 1979

1980's TV's were able to cope fine with the overlays Doc.  It may have been last century but it wasn't the dark ages!

Good to hear Flick getting praise for her work even though the Talking Heads routine isn't a favourite of mine.

The sharpness of the picture plus the size of the screen has improved a lot since then. If I remember right most people had 24-28 inch TVs although I must admit it didn't seem a problem back then. I do remember comparing my old cathode ray widescreen TV with a new flat screen some years back and being amazed how much better the picture was. Although I'm probably being influeneced by the fairly blocky UKGold encoding that's online. Although that's probably down to VHS throwing away half the image and the data rate on the encoding being too low.
Still living in 1979

Thinking back there's a possibility that I may even have watched some of the shows on a very small black and white portable TV that was bought to avoid family arguments about what to watch. Back in the 70s and early 80s my dad always insisted on watching something on ITV on Thursdays so I either had to go to see my Aunt and Uncle, who usually watched it, or use the B&W portable.
Still living in 1979

I hate to admit it, but on reflection i think i prefer the wonderful Talking Heads promo video with David Byrne at his most wackiest to the Legs & Co TOTPs dance routine with its many annoying overlays. I wonder if anybody else feels the same about any other promo vids/routines ?

Doc wrote
I very certainly remember Einstein a Gogo being on the show but have forgotten what the video was like, I have a feeling that it was a bit weird. It obviously had an effect on me as I bought their LP, which proved to be a mistake as I think I only played it once.
I dug out 'From the Tea-rooms of Mars....to the Hell-holes of Uranus' today. As strange as it sounds, it certainly isn't brimming with other potential big hits.

I think I still have it at home. I do remember thinking when listening to it that I should have just bought the single!
Still living in 1979

Wasn't Norman Bates the follow-up single?

Yes. And far less commercial than Einstein A Go-Go. No surprise it stalled at Number 40 despite a TOTP studio performance. (Yewtree'd, I believe).

Listening to Kelly Marie again I'm wondering if the 'Woh ohs' were a nod towards the coda of a much more famous Hot Love from a decade earlier...

I hate to admit it, but on reflection i think i prefer the wonderful Talking Heads promo video with David Byrne at his most wackiest to the Legs & Co TOTPs dance routine with its many annoying overlays. I wonder if anybody else feels the same about any other promo vids/routines ?
I think the concert footage of The Jacksons performing Show You The Way To Go, with Michael Jackson strutting around the stage, was probably better than Legs & Co's foliage obscured routine.