TOTPs 05/05/16 (Originally aired 17/09/81)

TOTPs 05/05/16 (Originally aired 17/09/81)

17-09-81: Presenter: STEVE WRIGHT  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(35)  GIDEA PARK - Seasons Of Gold
(31)  OMD – Souvenir ®
(41)  BEGGAR & CO. - Mule (Chant No.2)
(42)  SHEENA EASTON - Just Another Broken Heart
(29)  THE TEARDROP EXPLODES - Passionate Friend ®
(17)  HI-GLOSS - You'll Never Know (danced to by Legs & Co)
(25)  THE TWEETS – Birdie Song (Birdie Dance)
(30)  GODLEY & CREME - Under Your Thumb
(20)  BUCKS FIZZ - One Of These Nights ®
(29)  THE POINTER SISTERS - Slow Hand (video)
(1)    ADAM AND THE ANTS - Prince Charming (video)
(24)  DOLLAR - Hand Held In Black & White (audience dancing/credits)

WARNING FOR THOSE OF A SANE DISPOSITION - This broadcast includes the Birdie Song.
Having skipped a 'banned' edition, the one featuring the memorable rootin' tootin' dance routine to Ottawan's 'Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)', BBC4 air a Top Of The Pops which includes three repeat performances, all of which are taken from last week's show (the 2016 version of 'last week') with a pair of videos wedged into the closing stages.
The Birdie Song began life as a Swiss accordian piece back in the 1950's, entitled 'Der Ententanz' which translates as The Duck Dance, was once known as The Chicken Dance before local Dutch band De Electronicas released it as a b-side in 1980. A pioneer in the licensing, manufacturing and production within the music and media industry, Henry Hadaway is the guilty party behind the September 1981 UK release which has been proclaimed the most annoying song of all time. The voters do have a point. That said, the record shifted over 1.6 million copies although thanks are due to the Barbara Gaskin/Dave Stewart (not 'him') Lesley Gore cover and Stuart Goddard for keeping it from the top spot.
Goddard and his insects spent 4 weeks at No.1 with a high-gloss video to promote Prince Charming featuring a platinum blonde icon whose heyday, by the time of 1981, was most definitely yesteryear. Goodness gracious, it's Diana Dors!. Quite a coup for Adam & The Ants to have lured the UK's answer to Marilyn Monroe but such was the lustre and popularity of pop's biggest star and the highly relevant promotion video that she agreed to appear in the role of fairy godmother with the usual twinkle in her eye. Ant/Goddard's personal appeal resulted in Dors becoming the first film star to appear in a pop promo just a few months short of her 50th Birthday. Making further 'appearances' are actors Clint Eastwood, Marlon Brando and Rudolph Valentino and singer Alice Cooper. All played by Ant, Eastwood appears as The Man With No Name, Brando's in Vito Corleone Godfather mode and Valentino represented by his Laurence Of Arabia character. Coming to light in 2010 was the revelation that Rolf Harris had received an out-of-court settlement on the basis that Prince Charming was a near identical song to Harris's non-charting record, the Aboriginal 'War Canoe'.
Sherry, Big Girls Don't Cry, Walk Like A Man, I've Got You Under My Skin, Working My Way Back To You, Dawn (Go Away), Rag Doll and Will You Still Love Me  are all wrapped up in the seasonally popular metronomic medley, allowing medallion Man Adrian Baker to work his falsetto with Gidea Park. Right up their Valli, Seasons Of Gold clapped its way to No.28.
No sign of Patti for the fourth consecutive week. She's absent from this edition but will be spotted in two days time, looking as radiant as ever on London's Blackfriars Bridge lending support with all bar Rosie to a fun-runner in training for the forthcoming New York Marathon and his chosen anti-vivisection charity of the Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Where Rosie was for the photocall, we'll never know but she's in position with the other four for this week's Hi-Gloss dance routine to You'll Never Know : at No.12, a one-off chart success. Followed by steadicam through the dangling seaweed, Legs & Co. have broken out the elegant, sequinned ball-gowns for a stylish number which features Rosie and Sue getting pally together and Anita showing her penchant for pointing a single leg skywards. Although Patti's missed, this represents the final serious group dance routine for us Legsters as all that lay ahead are a couple of individual turns, backings, audience assists, and two instances in which Legs & Co. are given the bird.

Thanks for the preview AC! I look forward to these every TOTP week

Thanks for another excellent preview, AC.
Looks as though it should be a decent show.  Our hearts grow heavier as we reach Leg's last serious routine. I don't suppose the public of 1981 would have realised the significance at the time.

Thanks LF.
One a week's a nice enough pace for us all.

Heavy hearts indeed, OGW.
Tonight's routine might have been well-served as their actual farewell, such is the slight air of finality orbiting it.

Anita's Cheekbones wrote
(17)  HI-GLOSS - You'll Never Know (danced to by Legs & Co)
You'll never know, how much I'll miss Legs & Co

Old Grey Whistler wrote
Our hearts grow heavier as we reach Leg's last serious routine.
Yes i guess its how one defines the word `routine` as in dance routine. There is no doubt that `You'll Never Know' is certainly the last serious dance routine by Legs on TOTPs as you rightly point out OGW. But the second `Birdie Song` could be just about construed as a routine. The girls are all dancing on podiums with the audience at their feet, well knee high actually (sound familiar, they did this on the 76 Xmas show and thats a certainly a routine of worth). One of the big differences is of course the actual dance moves in the dreaded Birdie Song are the kind of stuff mere mortals like us did at parties back in the day, so i can well understand how folk consider YNK the end of the line for Legs.

Oh and like the other guys say AC, thanks as ever for all these TOTPs previews.

Thanks again AC for another interesting preview. I reckon that in little over a month, our time, we will see the last of Legs & Co on the TOTP re runs. I just hope that without seeing the girls every week we can still keep up the interest on OFTD's that's been going for the last five years.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Anita's Cheekbones wrote
(17)  HI-GLOSS - You'll Never Know (danced to by Legs & Co)
You'll never know, how much I'll miss Legs & Co
I've been there once before 35 1/2 years ago. That time I didn't ever expect to see them again!
Still living in 1979

A nice preview AC, some nice acts on tonight show.

Doubleday
Absolutely fizzing that we don't get to see Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) ... thank goodness for this site

Doubleday wrote
Absolutely fizzing that we don't get to see Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) ... thank goodness for this site
Yes we do, an edited repeat was shown 01/10/81!
Still living in 1979

Doubleday
Thank you, Doc ... and thank goodness for repeats

as long as Mike Read doesn't get picked up for anything in the next two weeks that is.
Still living in 1979

Apart from a couple of novelty acts, it was another great week for TOTPs.
As far as I'm concerned one of those acts kicked off this weeks programme, Gidea Park were back, & not content with murdering some great Beach Boys tracks, their now pretending to be the Jersey Boys, I'm still not that impressed really!
The only other low point came with the ridiculous Tweets, sandwiched in between the sublime Legs & Co. (representing Hi-gloss), & the fantastic Godley & Creme, I'm reminded that Zoo will be along in just a few weeks time!
The Pointer Sisters, were still in Three Degrees mode at this point in time, but soon they were to get a lot funkier, the way that I preferred them.
I liked Sheena Easton's new track, I didn't know that one until just now when I heard that knowingly for the first time.
Adam & the Ants deservedly taking the #1 single position once again!

Doc wrote
Doubleday wrote
Absolutely fizzing that we don't get to see Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) ... thank goodness for this site
Yes we do, an edited repeat was shown 01/10/81!
Hey, great news! I had no idea. Made my day. What a fabulous routine that was, one of my faves, can't wait.

I watched the 7.30 showing last night and seeing the Birdie Song in the lower regions of the charts left me with a heavy heart, not because I hate it, but because it's a harbinger of what will be Legs last routine. The end is nigh, can't pretend any longer.

I did enjoy the You'll Never Know dance last night, the girls have been excellent the last few weeks which makes their enforced finishing all the more ridiculous. Grrr.

A fairly mediocre show.  Not as good as last weeks.  Really fed up now of those medleys.  I think by this time they were fading away and Stars on 45 fans were returning their albums as "duplicated gifts".  OMD good.  Wished I had voted for them last week as I did not know they would be shown again.  Sheena Easton okay but the song was too cheesy.  Legs & Co were just fantastic.  A really lovely dance.  Nice to see it in digital as it showed the dresses to their max.  The Tweets were just an embarrassment and seem to remember saying this when it charted.  How could people purchase such trash.  On the plus side it was first time I had seen this dance done by the audience.  Godley & Crème were excellent and was one excellent eighties tracks.  Good to see Bucks Fizz again and lovely to see the Pointer Sisters too.  Excellent video from Adam and the Ants.  It was going through my mind at the Dollar song the audience members were certainly doing well with their dancing.  Two girls especially got a lot of camera time from The Tweets and then this.  It went through my mind if any of them were aware of up and coming Zoo and Flick would be looking for some good audience dancers.  They certainly gave it their all.  Personally they looked like they had just auditioned for Rita, Sue and Bob too.  A good show but only from the point of view of Legs & Co.  Would have liked to see them dance to the full version of this song.  Well done to them.

Willoway
From what I recall of the Story of '81 documentary, there was both Zoo (director Flick Colby) and audience cheerleaders (presumably directly controlled by the floor director) introduced in 1981. Not seen the edition yet (and not sure if I will, it's getting a bit too late-period for my tastes) but maybe the cheerleaders are in place now and you are seeing these.
...is she really going out with him?

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Doc wrote
as long as Mike Read doesn't get picked up for anything in the next two weeks that is.
Mike's too boring to have done anything with a whiff of danger about it
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Anita's Cheekbones wrote
 Making further 'appearances' are actors Clint Eastwood, Marlon Brando and Peter O'Toole and singer Alice Cooper.
I always assumed that was supposed to be Rudolph Valentino
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!
12