TOTPs 06/07/17 (Originally aired 23/02/84)

TOTPs 06/07/17 (Originally aired 23/02/84)

23-02-84 Introduced by Janice Long and Mike Read. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(28)  Hot Chocolate – I Gave You My Heart (Didn’t I?)
(7)    Rockwell – Somebody’s Watching Me (video)
(39)  Marilyn – Cry & Be Free
(10)  Kool & The Gang – Joanna (video)
(9)    Nik Kershaw – Wouldn’t It Be Good
(35)  Carmel – More More More
(15)  Howard Jones – Hide & Seek (video)
        Top Ten Video Show
(10)  Kool & The Gang - Joanna (video clip)
(9)    Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good (video clip)
(8)    Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (video clip)
(7)    Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (video clip)
(6)    Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride (clip from 02/02/84)
(5)    The Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods (video clip)
(4)    Queen - Radio Ga Ga (video clip)
(3)    Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor! (video clip)
(2)    Nena - 99 Red Balloons (video clip)

(34)  Re-Flex – The Politics Of Dancing (+ credits)

Back to regular previews today as we move on, but never forget one amazing woman. Tonight we have Janice Long and Mike Read to present the show which is now at the end of February 1983. I feel quite jealous of the people in the Top of the Pops land as they are in the cool months of February, but we are stuck in the middle of summer which can be quite uncomfortable whilst writing the previews! Nevertheless, I enjoy sitting here on this cool Wednesday afternoon looking what the latest edition of Top of the Pops has to offer us.

At the moment in the world that is the 40th Anniversary dance routines sections, Legs & Co are dancing to Ma Baker, but Hot Chocolate are at number one in the charts (July 1977), however, today they are kicking off Top of the Pops with another hit which they perform in the Top of the Pops studio. Speaking of Legs & Co, they also accompanied Racey with hits like Some Girls and Lay Your Love On Me, but the connection tonight is that lead singer of Racey, Richard Gower, wrote this song for Hot Chocolate. This wouldn’t be one of their most successful singles, but would still chart into the top twenty.

Now we have the first video of the evening which is Rockwell’s Somebody’s Watching Me which I’m sure you must have heard of before because it became quite the international success due to the help of two members of a band from Gary, Indiana, USA. Yes I am talking about Michael Jackson and Jermaine Jackson who provided backing vocals to this top ten hit. This is Rockwell’s debut single and he actually featured on a certain JK chart segment last week, but we get to see the full video this week.

Marilyn isn’t calling your name today, but instead is on Top of the Pops performing Cry & Be Free. Marilyn’s last single was speculated to make it to number one, but only made it to number four, however, despite earlier success this is really where Marilyn’s music career stalled and would only have one top thirty hit, though his follow up single to this would be moderately successful in other territories. This is the only time we will see Marilyn solo in 1984, though he would appear with Band Aid for the Christmas number one.

Woah, Kool & The Gang are back big time with Joanna which we see the video tonight. This song has already made it big in the U.S. where it was kept off the top spot by Culture Club’s Karma Chameleon. Now Joanna makes it in the UK as one of the gang’s biggest hits. Next week we will see the video again.
Wouldn’t it be good if someone came on Top of the Pops in person instead of a video? Well, here is Nik Kershaw with Wouldn’t It Be Good which marks Nik’s Top of the Pops debut on BBC Four. I say BBC Four because he was on the show a couple of weeks ago, but that was presented by Dave Lee Travis. In my opinion that edition should have been shown. At least because of the way Top of the Pops repeats performers every two weeks if they continue to chart, like this we won’t miss out on every Yewtree’d song.

Carmel now with a sound which is something I haven’t heard on Top of the Pops in a while. I thought maybe More More More might have something to do with Andrea True’s 1976 hit which Pan’s People danced to, but no this is a song on with its own sound. Fronted by Carmel McCourt, The band’s debut single Storm made it to number one in the UK Independent Chart, but failed to chart in the official charts. This should be an interesting performance tonight.

Howard Jones has a new song now which is called Hide & Seek which he will perform in the Top of the Pops studio in a few weeks’ time, but for now we see the video to this song. Straight in at number fifteen is very impressive, though I doubt it would have flopped after the success of New Song and What Is Love. I think it is safe to say now that Howard has cemented himself firmly into the pop world and I’m sure we will be seeing more of him in the coming years as these Top of the Pops repeats progress.

Relax is still at number one, so we will be skipping that, we now find ourselves at the end of the show. We have Re-Flex with The Politics Of Dancing which according to Popscene they perform over the credits. It’s interesting to see a band performing over the credits which reminds me of Top of the Pops from a couple of years ago when they did this in the regular shows, but I guess without Frankie there is a short fall in the show, though don’t worry because Nena will be number one tomorrow!

The episode length and the amount of performances doesn’t add up by looking at it, so I am guessing there will be some sort of surprise hidden in there that isn’t listed on Popscene. Though that’s purely by looking at the BBC website’s 35 minute runtime and the amount of performances on the show.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by David Jensen and John Peel.

I don't think I will have time to post tomorrow, so here's an early preview

Just read your preview for tomorrow show. A another great preview Legsfan, just waiting to watch it.

Do we see the "Man In A Snood" performance tonight? It would be good if we did....

Legsfan wrote
The episode length and the amount of performances doesn’t add up by looking at it, so I am guessing there will be some sort of surprise hidden in there that isn’t listed on Popscene. Though that’s purely by looking at the BBC website’s 35 minute runtime and the amount of performances on the show.
Marilyn is missing from the 7.30 show, so there must be a feature of some sorts which is bumping him off.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. It looks like an uninspiring lineup tonight. I do like Hot Chocolate but they were past their best by now.

Smashing preview Legsfan, but a very underwhelming edition indeed. Gonna be a difficult task to find something i liked on it for the poll.

Not exactly a bad show but without any real highlights.

Howard Jones was up from 24 to 15 by the way.
Vin

The Top Ten Video Show now added.

In the Top Ten Video Show, Paul Gambaccini introduces Cyndi Lauper. It sounds very strange to me, which makes me suspect that a banned presenter like Jonathan King presented the clip and Paul was dubbed over for the BBC Four showing.
I know I might sound mad, but did Paul introduce Cyndi on the original BBC 1 broadcast or was it someone else?

Am with Ryan this wasn't a good show for me. You miss that number one record for these past weeks. It seemed to lose something when you are not showing the number one. It made the show flat to watch.

One for the cheerleader followers, Tricia appears to have been promoted to 'Warm up' for this show, whatever that means.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. Some nice information there. I had assumed Carmel to be a single performer, but you're right, my Guiness Book of Hit Singles confirms Carmel to be a band. Pity the record was rubbish!

As far as TOTP is concerned, "warm-up" is where the audience, freshly arrived in the studio, are prepared for the recording/live broadcast of the show to start - this usually involves playing a few upbeat records over the PA to get the audience dancing, with floor staff encouraging the audience to feel happy, and more at home, in the studio environment. This is usually also the time where members of the audience are picked out by floor staff if they were required to appear in the opening link, or behind the band if they started the show with a performance on the big stage (the "cascade"/neon boxes one).

When I was in the TOTP audience twice in 2003, this role was filled by the floor manager (and a regular name in the "camera assistant" lists of 1984) Danny Steggall, who is still the FM every year on the Christmas/New Year TOTP specials. The songs they used during the audience warm-up at that particular time were "Hot in Herre" by Nelly, and "Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake.

Who knows what songs were used for this purpose back in the 70s and 80s is anyone's guess - unless we have anyone who can confirm for us?

Legsfan wrote
In the Top Ten Video Show, Paul Gambaccini introduces Cyndi Lauper. It sounds very strange to me, which makes me suspect that a banned presenter like Jonathan King presented the clip and Paul was dubbed over for the BBC Four showing.
I know I might sound mad, but did Paul introduce Cyndi on the original BBC 1 broadcast or was it someone else?
Just Mike Read unable to resist doing a Paul Gambaccini impersonation on account of the all-American girl.

Tricia knows when to get out the way!
https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/883069643530924033

Gina and Janice.
https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/883043081162964992

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Legsfan wrote
In the Top Ten Video Show, Paul Gambaccini introduces Cyndi Lauper. It sounds very strange to me, which makes me suspect that a banned presenter like Jonathan King presented the clip and Paul was dubbed over for the BBC Four showing.
I know I might sound mad, but did Paul introduce Cyndi on the original BBC 1 broadcast or was it someone else?
Just Mike Read unable to resist doing a Paul Gambaccini impersonation on account of the all-American girl.
Thanks GD.
I thought there was something odd about that, but I couldn't quite figure out it was Mike Read.
It was a very good impression.

Having missed the cut-off date for voting for the year's best video perhaps they'll let me nominate the worst - The Style Council: My Ever Changing Moods.

I like the Style Council but I agree, the video for My Ever Changing Moods is even worse than the video for Long Hot Summer. Looking back, a lot of the 'early' videos are plain boring to watch.
Vin