TOTPs 07/07/17 (Originally aired 01/03/84)

TOTPs 07/07/17 (Originally aired 01/03/84)

01-03-84 Introduced by David Jensen & John Peel. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(17)  Matt Bianco – Get Out Of Your Lazy Bed
(20)  Van Halen – Jump (video)
(35)  Alexei Sayle – Ullo John Gotta New Motor?
(30)  Soft Cell – Down In The Subway (video)
(11)  Break Machine – Street Dance
(42)  Wang Chung – Dance Hall Days
(10)  Slade – Run Runaway (video)
(1)    Nena – 99 Red Balloons (rpt from 16/02/84)
(38)  Julia & Company – Breakin’ Down (Sugar Samba) (audience dancing/credits)

The Rhythm Pals, David Jensen and John Peel introduce the first Top of the Pops of March 1984. David and John have been quite popular as a duo while presenting Top of the Pops, but I would enjoy these last few Top of the Pops’ with Jensen as he will be departing Top of the Pops in a few months, but because of the double speed I reckon he will depart at the beginning of August 2017.

Matt Bianco is at number seventeen this week with Get Out Of Your Lazy bed which he performs in the Top of the Pops studio. Interesting to see him back on the show again, though it was only two Top of the Pops weeks ago since we last saw him. He appears on Top of the Pops later in the year, so this won’t be the last time he steps foot in the Top of the Pops studio.

Van Halen now with the first video of the night which is to Jump. It appeared on the American chart segment with JK a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn’t shown for obvious reasons, however, today we see the full video to this.

Alexei Sayle is on Top of the Pops performing Ullo John Gotta New Motor which should be interesting to watch as I haven’t heard of this song before, though I doubt it will make it up the charts because of how obscure the name of the song is, but only time will tell if I am right or not.

Soft Cell are back with Down In The Subway which we see the video to tonight. Surely this could be another number one for Soft Cell, but I very much doubt that because of the amount of songs that have already charted that could knock this week’s number one off the top spot very quickly.

Break Machine now who we saw a couple of weeks ago dancing to conclude the show of that night. This time they have gotten a better place in the show and are right in the middle ready to do their thing. I didn’t think this song would chart very high, but obviously some people really like it as it is almost in the top ten.

Wang Chung now with Dance Hall Days. I haven’t heard of Wang Chung before, so I am up for learning something new about someone I have never heard of before. This edition really is something for both new and old performers as we have new performers like Wang Chung and old ones like Slade.
Speaking of Slade they are at number ten this week with Run Runaway which we see the video to tonight. It is interesting to see Slade having continued chart success in 1984 and I think that it is safe to say that their music is being enjoyed by a new generation of teens. Though Top of the Pops really does make the effort to show both established and new artists.

Nena has knocked Frankie off the number one spot with 99 Red Balloons which is marked by showing a repeat performance of the one a few weeks ago when there was 98 Red Balloons and 1 White Balloon. Memorable, but unfortunately this is the only performance we will see when it is at number one because it is repeated next week and the following week when the concert video is shown is on a Mike Smith edition.

Concluding Top of the Pops tonight is Julia & Co with Breakin’ Down which is played over the cheerleaders dancing and the credits.

Next Friday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Gary Davies and Richard Skinner.

Another good preview Legsfan, and the show tonight looks better than last nights programme.

Thank you Sueforever. I agree this show looks much better and we get a number one at the end again!

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. I've just watched the show and can add a bit of trivia. Wang Chung's singer used to read Emile Zola and so chose the stage name Jack Hughes (J'accuse), get it?

The Slade video, despite the Caledonian theme, was actually filmed at the decidedly English Eastnor Castle just down the road from me.

Here's some interviews and performances that didn't go to plan. Including a critical appraisal of Matt Bianco.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/ab3bbd2f-1490-4f57-b2e2-60d2d023ad30

As we thought Legsfan a better show from start to finish. And a good number one as well.

ALEXMITCH1
No Soft cell video on the late edition. Anyone care to guess what's the reason for the latest edit. This edition was scheduled for a 35 minute slot and was recently changed and even announced that the programme after was starting earlier than planned. Getting really fed up with endless cuts. It's nearly every week now.

It's here with intro and outro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvxC_frVUQ

Why it wasn't aired? Your guess is as good as mine.
Vin

Someone on Facebook reckons that they have accidentally shown the 30 minute version twice. They also point out that tonights showing of this edition is in a 35 minute slot instead of last nights 30 minute which was obviously editied.
If this is the case, I would highly recommend that you record the showing tonight at midnight (of course if you record the shows) as it looks like the full edition might be shown.

"Down in the Subway" is clearly a thinly veiled and totally unacceptable euphemism

Mediocre show.  Really loved the Matt Bianco track again.  Van Halen's track was equally excellent as it is a perfect rock classic.  Alexi Sayle one complete bore.  I did not see the Soft Cell track on my version so will have to re-record it tonight.  For some reason the edited version was shown last thing instead of the earlier edition.  Break Machine good, Wang Chung okayish.  Slade's video was good.  Nena - pass, and pass on Julia & Company too.  Lots of fillers in these shows lately.  Full marks to the lovely John Peel and Kid Jenson.  Make the perfect television match.  I noticed how John spoke the lyrics to Relax in one of his conversations.

There has been speculation that Soft Cell were edited out because of something to do with Tube Train suicide lyrics which might be seen as insensitive as this repeat fell on the 12th anniversary of 7/7.

Well done.  They obviously won't show that tonight then.  I might just re-record it just in case.  Never heard the song before so hope it is good.  They were on the downward slope here.

Wow, amazing lateral thinking Beeb.  For those (like me) who didn't think the 12th Anniversary was really anything, it is Silk

Soft Cell were shown on the Saturday showing.
It must have been the 7/7 thing.