Quantcast

TOTPs 09/03/17 (Originally aired 28/04/83)

TOTPs 09/03/17 (Originally aired 28/04/83)

28-04-83 Introduced by David Jensen and John Peel (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(20)  Galaxy featuring Phil Fearon – Dancing Tight
(23)  Sweet Dreams - I'm Never Giving Up
        David Jensen – Far East charts:
        Paula Tsui – Fantasia (video clip)
        China Doll - Chasing The Dragon (video clip)
        Lam - Mirages (video clip)

(37)  The Creatures - Miss The Girl
        John Peel – European charts:
        Cook Da Books - Your Eyes - La Boum (video clip)
        Hoffman & Hoffman - Rucksicht (video clip)
        Mirelle Mathieu & Patrick Duffy - Together We're Strong (video clip)
        Nena - 99 Luftballoons (video clip)
        David Bowie - Let's Dance (video clip)

(22)  Tears For Fears - Pale Shelter
(24)  Kissing The Pink - The Last Film
(1)    Spandau Ballet - True (video)
(17)  The Kids From Fame - Friday Night (audience dancing/credits)

Introducing Top of the Pops tonight are 1983’s most popular presenting duo David ‘Kid’ Jensen and John ‘Adult’ Peel. We’ve seen David and John many times this year, and surprisingly David is still going strong after first presenting Top of the Pops back in 1977. John made his debut back in 1968, but his first regular appearance was back in 1982. They’ve seen many changes over the past few years, but the biggest one yet is about to happen! This is the last ‘classis’ 1981-1983 Top of the Pops before the revamp, but don’t worry! The presenters won’t be going anywhere.

Kicking off Top of the Pops tonight are Galaxy who have teamed up Phil Fearton to perform “Dancing Tight” which is in the charts this week at number twenty. This is Phil Fearton’s breakthrough single which will eventually make it into the top ten. It’s quite impressive that an unknown name has shot straight into the charts at number twenty, but it proved to be so successful that we will see Galaxy and Phil on the first new look Top of the Pops on BBC Four which will be shown tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams are back on Top of the Pops performing the UK’s Eurovision 1983 entry “I’m Never Giving Up” which has climbed the charts to this weeks number twenty-three. Sweet Dreams did not win Eurovision, so still the last time the UK won Eurovision was with Bucks Fizz back in 1981 (as of April 1983). Carrie Grant was apparently a part of Sweet Dreams, but she doesn’t get any positive words after what she said about Legs & Co. The song flopped, so we won’t be seeing Sweet Dreams or the song on Top of the Pops ever again.

David Jensen introduces the newest segment of Top of the Pops which I’m sure will become a weekly feature! The Far East charts with hits from Paula Tsui, China Doll and Lam. I know you know all of these big names and bought all of their records back in the 80s, although they don’t really have charts in that part of the world, it is an interesting look at what people across the globe are listening to. Before you ask the answer is yes! This will be shown on BBC Four as Jonathan King has gone away for a week, though the BBC must be liking him again as his name wasn’t removed when Janice said it the other week, though they will remove Richard Skinner saying “Here’s one for you DLT” back in ’82.

The Creatures continue the flow of music on Top of the Pops tonight as they are in the studio performing their number thirty-seven hit “Miss The Girl” which unfortunately is just outside the top thirty. The single would make quite the impact on the UK charts as it would eventually make it into the top twenty meaning that we will see the duo back on Top of the Pops tomorrow when they are one of the old bands on the new look Top of the Pops.

John Peel introduces the latest hits of Europe featuring singles by Cook Da Books, Hoffman & Hoffman, MMPD, Nena and David Bowie. One of those singles has already been number one in the UK, but another single in the European charts will make it into the charts next week when it is reworked in English. Will it make number one? Keep watching Top of the Pops and reading my previews to find out! Again, John Peel’s countdown will be shown on Top of the Pops tonight.

Bringing us back to London is Tears For Fears in the Top of the Pops studio performing their latest phenomenal single “Pale Shelter” which enters the charts at number twenty-two. This single was originally released in 1982, but due to it not doing very well it has been re-released which I think was the best decision as after the success they have had over the past year, anything they release it sure to go into the charts. The single will eventually make it into the top ten at number five, but despite this we won’t be seeing the single again in a few weeks.

Kissing The Pink make their Top of the Pops debut tonight performing their number twenty-four single “The Last Film” which they perform in the studio. I think this song is appropriate for the occasion because although not the last film, this is the last ‘classic’ Top of the Pops that saw some of the best acts of the decade. The single will climb the charts, so we will be hearing this one again with the audience dancing with the credits. The band are still going to this day, so even though they didn’t have phenomenal success, they are still doing what they love.

David Bowie is at number one again! Only joking!! Spandau Ballet have gone from number ten to number one with their latest single “True”. Unfortunately they are not in the Top of the Pops studio, so we get to see their video for the song, but they will be on number 1000, but because it features every Yewtree’d person going (that’s no exaggeration!), we won’t be seeing them perform their memorable studio performance. Will the song make it to number one next time? Make sure you watch Top of the Pops tomorrow!

Concluding the last ever classic Top of the Pops is The Kids From Fame with their number “Friday Night” which would have been more accurate if they had shown this repeat tomorrow! Though they were presenting Top of the Pops the other week with Peter Powell and Co, so we just get the audience dancing to this one. Sorry Fame fans!

You might be thinking why have I been saying this will be the last ‘classic’ Top of the Pops, well from tomorrow we get to see the new intro to the show which is still Phil Lynott’s “Yellow Pearl” but it has been re-mixed on the titles and the chart rundown. This intro was introduced on the 900th show when Legs and Co danced to “Wordy Rappinghood”, but like the 900th, we won’t be seeing the 1000th edition. From tomorrow the new re-mixed titles will be shown.

Tomorrow’s New Look Top of the Pops will be introduced by Mike Read and Tommy Vance.

What do you think about the show? Please share your thoughts below

Ah, Spandau Ballet - True, that was No.1 on my 18th birthday!

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan.

So this is the episode which featured the never-repeated again Far East chart rundown. I wonder why?

Looking forward to Tears For Fears. Pale Shelter was a fantastic single, and imho, the best thing they ever did.

Might I add to the trivia stuff here. Opening act Phil Fearon and Galaxy featured future Number 1 artist Baby D on backing vocals. She would hit the top in 1994 with the superb Let Me Be Your Fantasy.

Another good read Legsfan, am looking forwards to tonights show.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Might I add to the trivia stuff here. Opening act Phil Fearon and Galaxy featured future Number 1 artist Baby D on backing vocals. She would hit the top in 1994 with the superb Let Me Be Your Fantasy.
You mean after the end of music as we know it!

Thanks Legsfan. Seems to be a rather strange episode with the ill-fated chart reviews.

Just a quick note on Pale Shelter. The 1983 hit version was not a rerelease, but rather a rerecording of the original 1982 track (whose full title was "Pale Shelter (You Don't Give Me Love)"). The original version with the longer title was rereleased in 1985 though when it made it all the way to No. 73!

Everything'sRosie wrote
So this is the episode which featured the never-repeated again Far East chart rundown. I wonder why?
Something to do with it being complete rubbish!

Yup, but I can just about stomach 90s music. It's after 2000 when I really lost interest.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
What the actual? Is anyone watching this crap? South-east asian chart? Who thought this would be a good idea?! Epic fail?!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

This has to be the worst ever TOTPs I've watched

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Omg its getting even worse now....Bobby Ewing singing an out-of-tune duet .....almost into surreal territory....if only we could see Nena's armpits....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

That what he was doing in that shower?

I must be on the wrong website...

nearlydeadat50
I was 18 that year a little later than you Doc.

I try not to think about it.....

Legsfan wrote

John Peel introduces the latest hits of Europe featuring singles by Cook Da Books, Hoffman & Hoffman, MMPD, Nena and David Bowie. One of those singles has already been number one in the UK, but another single in the European charts will make it into the charts next week when it is reworked in English.
Don't build Vin's hopes up, Legsfan!    We won't be seeing Germany's leading lady until 1984.
WTH

nearlydeadat50 wrote
I was 18 that year a little later than you Doc.

I try not to think about it.....
On the plus side, at least that means you have definitely survived your 50th Birthday!

A good write up there.  Not very keen on this show but after last week's it would have been very difficult.  I always like to see John Peel as he was one who did not mince his words.  I liked his cap that the "Kid" gave him and wondered if he had been to the Wardrobe Department and stole that red star from a Pans People outfit namely when they danced to Love Train by Ojays.  The songs were fair.  Enjoyed Galaxy as that was a real club song back in the day and is still played.   Enjoyed the charts from foreign countries and John Peel certainly did a good run down of the European one.  Shocked to see Patrick Duffy singing.  Enjoyed Spandau Ballet's video but not keen on the Kids from Fame song at all.

Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
On second watch Nena was DEFINITELY bra-less there :)
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

and more famously shaverless.

I quite enjoyed both the 'Far East' and European charts. I was quite surprised that Jonathan King has had another mention on TOTP. I don't get how they leave his name in, but last year when Richard Skinner said "Here's one for you DLT" that was edited out.
Anyway it wasn't the best edition, but I still enjoyed it. It gets a 5/10 from me.