TOTPs 09/06/16 (Originally aired 03/12/81)

TOTPs 09/06/16 (Originally aired 03/12/81)

03-12-81: Presenter: David Jensen  (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  BAD MANNERS - Buona Sera
(4)    SOFT CELL - Bedsitter
(27)  STATUS QUO - Rock 'n' Roll
(26)  DURAN DURAN – My Own Way

        Jonathan King's U.S. Chart Rundown :
        JOURNEY - Don't Stop Believing (live clip)
        ROD STEWART - Young Turks (video clip)
        OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN - Physical (video clip)

(5)    DIANA ROSS – Why Do Fools Fall In Love? (performed by Zoo)
(21)  GODLEY & CREME - Wedding Bells (video)
(20)  FUN BOY THREE - The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) ®
(9)    THE HUMAN LEAGUE - Don't You Want Me (video)
(1)    JULIO IGLESIAS - Begin The Beguine (video/credits)

Half-way through a five week period of on/off appearances, Zoo receive a recall for tonight's Top Of The Pops with Jeannie, Julie, Sharon acting as the trio performing Why Do Fools Fall In Love? The eleventh of Diana Ross's 27 UK releases as a solo artist, the record was her first single on the RCA record label having ended her association with Motown in order to obtain a contract with a financial balance much more beneficial to the artist herself. Although sentiment towards the Motown label, was a strong point, the unfavourable royalty rate was a weak one and was particularly pertinent when Miss Ross was heading towards bankruptcy around 1980 (estimated to be down to her last $300k). Talented and astronomical enough to plough her own furrow, Diana Ernestine Earle Ross was signed to RCA Records in March 1981 for a seven year contract worth a figure which her former label was unable to match - $20m. To the delight of her bank manager, Diana's self-Produced Why Do Fools Fall in Love LP went platinum in the U.S.
Their Manners may be Bad in terms of willfully ignoring the wooden "Keep Off The Floor" sign but Buster Bloodvessel's group are certainly regular in terms of churning them out. Representing the group's 'Special R'n'B Party Four EP', Buona Sera breaks the quarterly release pattern which began seven singles ago with Ne-Ne-Na-Na-Na-Na-Nu-Nu from March 1980 by hitting the shelves in November rather than December 1981. Another pattern broken is in enjoying Top 30 status as Bueno Sera kept a position no higher than the current position of No.34 for a three week spell before saying 'buona notte' to the Top 50 a month later. Close observers of the TOTP Cheerleaders taking on the role of ballroom dancers might recognise the vividly-coloured costumes worn by two of the female dance partners as Legs & Co. cast-offs... Lulu was blue and Patti was in the pink...
1981 has seen the prominent rise of the music video as a valuable marketing tool, assisting promotion through a complimentary visual image and reducing the artist's actual presence - just stick the cassette in and press play. Notable videos seen on Top Of The Pops in 1981 include Toyah's 'Thunder in the Mountains' and the severely illuminated 'Fade To Grey' by Visage. Also from the same year but considered too risque to be shown on the show was Duran Duran's 'Girls On Film'. All three music videos were directed by one half of 10cc Kevin Godley & Laurence Creme (known by what would become common internet slang as 'Lol'...LOL!) a talent which overlapped and overtook their 11 year singing career as a duet beyond 1988. Godley very much wears the trousers when hearing those Wedding Bells, lead vocalist on a song which reached No.7 in the UK, four places less than their recently released 'Under Your Thumb'. Their third and final chart hit, Cry, was fronted by a promo video which utilised 1985's most innovative technology to depict seamless facial transformations in fashionable monochrome.
Directing duties for The Human League's map-marking 'Don't You Want Me?' went to Steve Barron, the same man who would create MTV staples 'Money For Nothing' by Dire Straits and A-Ha's 'Take On Me', both of which were also from 1985. The impressive cinematography of Vienna inspired Barron to opt for 35mm film instead of glossier, yet cheaper, video tape to shoot the story within a story promo which had a storyboard of a behind-the-scenes of a murder mystery film production which accounted for the equipment and crew remaining in shot. The closing track on side 2 of The Human League's 'Dare' LP, Don't You Want Me was chosen as it's fourth Single release by Virgin Executive Simon Draper in time for the Christmas market and against the judgement of Phil Oakey whose boxed-in vocal was recorded in the Gents washroom at the Genetic Sound Studio, Reading. He saw the track as the weakest one on the album. The single spent 5 weeks at No.1 in the UK, was Virgin Records first chart-topping Single and as of 2012 was the 24th biggest seller of all time with sales in excess of 1.5m.

Another good preview AC, it might be a better show than last Friday programme.

Thanks for the preview PD, i think they have chosen a bit of a duffer for Zoo there, Diana has done much better stuff. Finally the Human League get some coverage although only on video until the 24th surprisingly. Be interesting to see if Jonathan King gets the chop.

Thanks for a great preview AC!
The length of this edition says 32 minutes which is slightly unusual, so that could mean Jonathan King has been removed.

David Jensen is our host here, not not Frank Butcher.

Thanks s4e, Mikey and Legsfan.
No way for JK as he's currently on bail until October.
Thanks Colm for spotting the copy 'n' paste failure.

An excellent review again AC.

A bit of trivia - this episode attracted more viewers than any other TOTPs episode in the 1980’s. An astonishing 15.9m. Let's hope they'll not be disappointed

Thanks for the preview AC. It looks like a pretty decent show. Good to see The Human League with their updated lineup finally making it onto BBC Four. Although this is their most famous and successful song, I'm not sure if it was their best.

Once DLT's suspended sentence is up although the BBC said they wouldnt I really hope his editions are shown again. If the ban is lifted they should start again from around May 1982, but if they don't I will be the one starting the petition!

Good luck.

Yes I'd sign the petition but I think it's a One-Legged man in an A*se Kicking contest situation sorry

zenon
The Saturday repeat is down for 35 minutes so the extra five may account for JK to be shown.

 I'll go as far as protesting outside Broadcasting House!

Fun Boy Three not a repeat AC

Well, the routine was back on 'why we're here' territory and it would be churlish to turn our noses up at it. Nevertheless, it's hard to shake the feeling that I'm watching imposters.

Good to see Soft Cell in their soft cell. Wasn't sure Bedsitter made the TOTP studio. And I enjoyed My Own Way, the half-forgotten hit of The Duranies' heyday.

Thanks for the review AC. Might not bother with the late show as the only performance I would remotely want to see would be Status Quo as I've no recollection of that record whatsoever. I'm guessing there's probably a reason for that. Old lounge-lizard Julio taking the number one spot hardly fits in with Hurl's brave new world. And where have all the fire-eaters gone? Felt like Top of the Pops from before the revolution. The Zoo performance was traditional TotPs dance fare which I rather liked of course, pity it wasn't Legs (I think the blonde lass later joined Tight Fit). The Diana Ross song was pretty feeble though, likewise the Duran Duran number, another one I have absolutely no recollection of.

I'm a bit underwhelmed

There's a girl there wearing one of Lulu's dresses, and Zoo'z routine could easily have been performed by Lulu and her mates. So why not have Lulu and the gang there?
I'm not sure why things had to change because nothing on that show was better than we had previously.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Everything'sRosie wrote
 Might not bother with the late show as the only performance I would remotely want to see would be Status Quo as I've no recollection of that record whatsoever.
It's the only one I CAN remember - all the others sounded the same, this one was much better.

Julio was only 38 at the time - reckons he slept with 3000 women in the 80s. Lucky git.

Anyone can have 5000/1 with me that DLT shows start getting shown after his sentence is up. It just wont happen. Glitter had served his time but the Beeb still wouldn't play his records. Savile was never charged with anything but his shows are taboo. Tony Blackburn got sacked for not toeing the BBC line at an enquiry. Fair play doesn't count at the Beeb. They make it up as they go along.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

5000/1 is the same odds that Leicester City had for winning the Premiership, but I agree that the DLT episodes will never be shown by the BBC.  If the repeats continue at the rate of two a week then the Yewtree issue will be over towards the end of next year anyway.  Now that Legs & Co are not featured, I am not too bothered about missing the DLT episodes. I would love to see the episodes that we have previously missed from 1977-81, but the only way I think that that could possibly happen would be if one of the satellite channels pick them up, as UK Gold did previously. The Yesterday channel have previously broadcast 'The Story of ' and 'Big Hits' from each year, but have never shown an individual episode.

zenon
But they did show Glitter in the 1977 run when he was a free man and before his re-arrest.
12