TOTPs 09/11/17 (Originally aired 22/11/84)

TOTPs 09/11/17 (Originally aired 22/11/84)

22-11-84 Introduced by John Peel & Tommy Vance. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  Nick Heyward – Warning Sign
(8)    Chicago – Hard Habit To Break (video)
(38)  The Kane Gang – Respect Yourself
(26)  The Human League - Louise (video)
(6)    Billy Ocean – Caribbean Queen
(27)  Murray Head – One Night In Bangkok
(24)  Shakin’ Stevens - Teardrops
(1)    Chaka Khan – I Feel For You (video)
(4)    Limahl – Never Ending Story (audience dancing/credits)

John Peel & Tommy Vance present the Top of the Pops edition from November 1984. Tommy joined Top of the Pops back in May 1980 when Legs & Co were dancing on the sofas, but tonight he presents his last regular edition.

Nick Heyward kicks off the show tonight with Warning Sign. At thirty-four this is a very high charted performance, but I have no doubt it will climb, though I think Nick would have found more success if he had stayed with Haircut One Hundred. This is a live edition, so will he have another lip sync fail.
Chicago present the first video of the evening with Hard Habit To Break. This time back in 1976 Chicago were at number one with If You Leave Me Now, but at the moment they are at number eight. Still they have had success over the years since like Hard To Say I’m Sorry which was a really good Zoo routine back in 1982.

The Kane Gang are back with Respect Yourself. An interesting group, so should provide some top quality entertainment on this live edition, though probably pre-recorded sound, they’re still miming live.
The Human League provide the second video of the evening with Louise. I’m guessing this is their Christmas single attempt for 1984, though I think I prefer Mirror Man as the Human League’s November single.

Billy Ocean is back on Top of the Pops with Caribbean Queen which he performed a little while back in the Top of the Pops studio. Ah I bet he is missing the company of Gill and Rosie, but I hope the cheerleaders give him some company, though not quite the thrill of our Legs.
Murray Head is on Top of the Pops performing his biggest hit since Superstar from 1969. I couldn’t find any Popscene dates for him, so I am assuming this is his Top of the Pops debut.

Shakin’ Stevens is back once again with Teardrops. Not related to Womack & Womack’s 1988 hit, but is Shaky’s last release of 1984, it’ll climb the charts and will make it to number five.
Still at number one is Chaka Khan who won the weekly poll for the show twice last week. Very talented lady and we’ll just have to see if she does it again this week.
Limahl is the audience dancing for the show tonight with the Never Ending Song. I hate the song, so the show will end for me at 7.57.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Janice & Peter Powell.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. I remember the Murray Head studio performance from the time. He sings it live and appears to forget the words in places (if I remember correctly). Classic single though, but going against my normal instincts I have to say it was much better on video.

 Last week at Number One for Chaka, I'm going to miss those saucy looks to camera. Definitely one of the records of the year.

Chicago – “Hard Habit To Break” and The Kane Gang – “Respect Yourself” are the two acts that get the cut tonight.... which seems nuts to me.

Legsfan wrote
Limahl is the audience dancing for the show tonight with the Never Ending Song. I hate the song, so the show will end for me at 7.57.
Doesn't something go immensely wrong during the closing credits? I'd wait to the end to find out, LF.

Yet again another great preview Legsfan, it looks a good show.

Cant believe that geezer dancing with the blonde fell over in the closing credits. Though she was worth falling over for i must say.

Legsfan wrote
Limahl is the audience dancing for the show tonight with the Never Ending Song. I hate the song, so the show will end for me at 7.57.
They swapped the Song for the Story!
Thanks for the preview, Legsfan.

The Never Ending bloke falling on his arse!
https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/928713118347341825
Click the picture to run the video.

John Peel made a barbed comment at the end of the show about him finishing for the night and Tommy Vance going off to work for Radio 1... in the time slot that up to very recently had been his.

The BBC4 post is wrong. It's Julie Evans that's with Mark Rowan - not Jenny Springer (She's the tall black girl with the red baseball cap).

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Everything'sRosie wrote
Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. I remember the Murray Head studio performance from the time. He sings it live and appears to forget the words in places (if I remember correctly). Classic single though, but going against my normal instincts I have to say it was much better on video.

 Last week at Number One for Chaka, I'm going to miss those saucy looks to camera. Definitely one of the records of the year.

IN PLACES?!?! I think he forgot more of the lyric than he remembered! Still enjoyable though, and fair play to him for doing it live.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

A bit of trivia, Murray Head is the older brother of Tony Head who was well known for appearing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Little Britain and those Nescafe adverts!

NickGregory92
Would've been nice if we were actually able to see the acts that were performing on TOTPs.  Somewhere in all that mist is Nick Heyward.