TOTPs 10/08/17 (Originally aired 03/05/84)

TOTPs 10/08/17 (Originally aired 03/05/84)

03-05-84 Introduced by Mike Read & Steve Wright. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(6)    OMD - Locomotion
(8)    Blancmange – Don’t Tell Me (video)
(18)  New Order – Thieves Like Us
(28)  Kenny Loggins - Footloose (video)
(25)  Jocelyn Brown – Somebody Else’s Guy
(19)  The Human League – The Lebanon
(1)    Duran Duran – The Reflex (video)
(14)  Nik Kershaw – Dancing Girls (audience dancing/credits)

Mike & Stevie introduce the first Top of the Pops of May 1984. It really is a continuing story this show like last week we finished with The Pointer Sisters, now we are back to OMD who won’t perform this in 20 years, so this really is a “blink and you’ll miss it” show.
Speaking of OMD, they are back on the show with a new studio performance of Locomotion. Not really a song that I like, but it was quite popular last week. It has made it into the top ten this week which is a huge achievement for any band.

Blancmange is the first video of the evening with Don’t Tell Me. I have resisted the temptation to look this video up on YouTube, so I will keep it a surprise for myself. I did like the studio performance last week, so hopefully the video doesn’t disappoint.
New Order are back again with the same sort of stuff from last time they were on the show. They perform Thieves like us which I hope is a performance to remember like Blue Monday which was in my top ten TOTP performances of 1983.

When you say Kevin Bacon and 80s I think of Footloose. It was discussed on Top of the Pops the other week as climbing the chart, which it has, so now we are treated with the video. The question is though, will the BBC show this because of the movie scenes?
Jocelyn Brown’s Somebody Else’s Guy was hanging around the chart for a while, but finally she is on the show and in the studio! I keep on saying that disco was over in 1982, but it is back with this post-disco hit by Jocelyn. Looking at future TOTPs I don’t think disco ever went away.

The Human League are in their fourth year of TOTP performances now and it is nice to see them back. I would have thought that any Human League performances would have been yewtree’d like Fascination, but fortunately for us, no yewtree presenters here!
FINALLY! Lionel Richie has been knocked off the top spot by Duran Duran with The Reflex. The live performance last week was really entertaining and the song ain’t that bad. It’s a really fresh number one for the spring.

Nik Kershaw’s Dancing Girls is the last song on the show tonight. I’m sure there will be dancing girls in the audience, so who’s on hottest audience member watch this week?

I would like to add that last week’s previews were very active and had lots of discussion and opinions. I think my former previews were too long, so these shorter ones get to the point without getting boring long useless bits.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by the Rhythm Pals.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. I'm particularly looking forward to New Order, Thieves Like Us is the best thing they ever did imho. The Lebanon by The Human League is another one I had completely forgotten about, so looking forward to that too. Just eight songs tonight so everything should be in the early showing.

Yet again another great preview Legsfan. Looks a interesting show tonight, at last got rid of that video from number one.

Wow, the BBC actually coughed up and showed the Footloose video.

That New Order performance was dreadful. Why do they insist on playing live when they're clearly not up to it!!?

Legsfan wrote
Wow, the BBC actually coughed up and showed the Footloose video.
They showed excerts from Fame (film version) as well a few months back and Flasdance. I think these were actual promotional videos though produced to be shown on MTV. Back in Legs day the clips from Grease couldn't be used because they were not official videos, but simply lifted directly from the film, hence copyright issues.

Everything'sRosie wrote
That New Order performance was dreadful. Why do they insist on playing live when they're clearly not up to it!!?
Particularly the bass contribution of Mr Precious himself.

Everything'sRosie wrote
That New Order performance was dreadful. Why do they insist on playing live when they're clearly not up to it!!?
You'd have thought they'd learned their lesson from last time, but no. "Thieves Like Us" is a great track, but the TOTPs performances that New Order insist on doing live don't do the record any justice at all.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Everything'sRosie wrote
That New Order performance was dreadful. Why do they insist on playing live when they're clearly not up to it!!?
Particularly the bass contribution of Mr Precious himself.
Really? I thought Hooky's playing wasn't the issue.
It's more Barney's flat singing that lets it all down.

I prefer the instrumental version of 'Thieves Like Us'. That would have been good as a long play-out tune.
WTH

Like Blue Monday I thought the whole thing left a lot to be desired, but to me Hooky's bass sounded like the work of a tone-deaf amateur compared to the record.

Earlier this week i gave `The Story of 1980` another watch. In it they had a section where Phil Oakey of The Human League had a bit of a moan that OMD were trying to latch on to their Synth style of music, of which THL as a group had just about cornered at the turn of the year. I couldnt help but notice both groups were on the show this evening. Boy what a difference 4 years make, not sure if either had a Synth between them.

OMD looking a bit poncy dancing around in horrid shirts and THL with a heavy guitar based track. Selling their roots, maybe so.

Earlier this week i gave `The Story of 1980` another watch. In it they had a section where Phil Oakey of The Human League had a bit of a moan that OMD were trying to latch on to their Synth style of music, of which THL as a group had just about cornered at the turn of the year. I couldnt help but notice both groups were on the show this evening. Boy what a difference 4 years make, not sure if either had a Synth between them.

OMD looking a bit poncy dancing around in horrid shirts and THL with a heavy guitar based track. Selling their roots, maybe so.
Synths still in evidence but down to one each!

The Lebanon seemed like an exciting new direction but turned out to be the only guitar-heavy track on Hysteria, which transpired to be a pale imitation of the Dare sound.

In contrast with OMD I thought Oakey looked dead cool with his new macho image.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Legsfan wrote
Wow, the BBC actually coughed up and showed the Footloose video.
They showed excerts from Fame (film version) as well a few months back and Flasdance. I think these were actual promotional videos though produced to be shown on MTV. Back in Legs day the clips from Grease couldn't be used because they were not official videos, but simply lifted directly from the film, hence copyright issues.
I thought that say Channel 4 have the sole rights to show Footloose in the UK and not anyone else, so the BBC showing clips could violate some sort of contract. Thats why I thought it wouldn't be shown.
Thanks for the info ER  I always looked at the lifted clips as the actual videos.

Appropriate that the BBC show a clip of Duran Duran at #1 in the charts, especially as today is International Duran Duran Day :-
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/duran-duran-day/

I'm surprised Blancmange weren't blocked under operation yewtree

I don't use Mike Read's Twitter TOTP presenter screengrabs anymore because of last time and he posted this today.

What ever happened to Popscene's TOTP presenter screengrabs?
I'm keeping a record as their ones seem to have gone missing.

Reagan was a Republican so any abuse is fine by the BBC.

Legsfan wrote
I don't use Mike Read's Twitter TOTP presenter screengrabs anymore because of last time and he posted this today.
What happened last time?

He posted this presenter screencap which I used.

It should have been this