TOTPs 10/11/17 (Originally aired 29/11/84)

TOTPs 10/11/17 (Originally aired 29/11/84)

29-11-84 Introduced by Janice Long & Peter Powell. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(4)    Nik Kershaw – The Riddle
(6)    Eurythmics – Sex Crime (1984) (video)
(15)  Slade – All Join Hands
(31)  Tina Turner – Private Dancer (video)
(19)  Kool & The Gang - Fresh
(3)    Frankie Goes To Hollywood – The Power Of Love (video)
(27)  Madonna – Like  A Virgin (video)
(11)  Alvin Stardust – I Won’t Run Away
(1)    Jim Diamond – I Should Have Known Better
(26)  Black Lace – Do The Conga (+ credits)

Janice Powe… I mean Janice Long & Peter Powell present the show this week that originally aired back at the end of November in 1984. Janice and Peter are a special duo, so we’ll see how they get on tonight if you know what I mean.

Nik Kershaw is back performing The Riddle for the second time on Top of the Pops. The video is good, but I guess he was just available to perform on the show this week. Number four this week, maybe a future number one.
The Eurythmics’ video to Sex Crime 1984 gets another showing tonight, though I thought the word sex was banned on TV. I was expecting it to just be called “Crime 1984”, though a good single by the Eurythmics.

Slade are back again with All Join Hands. Hopefully this doesn’t end up chopped out of the edition as last week’s showing only had Slade in the Saturday night showing, so some fans will have missed it. Don’t worry as the full show makes the 8.20 slot.
The lovely Tina Turner is back with Private Dancer which will hopefully be a bigger hit that Whats Love Got To Do With It. She’s been going for a while now making music, but I must say that the Pan’s People routine to Nutbush City Limits is just excellent.

Kool & The Gang come to the Top of the Pops with a cool Fresh sound. I think my K&G hit of 1984 has to be Joanna, but I haven’t heard this song yet, so I am making it my surprise of the week.
Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s The Power Of Love will make it to number one next week, but because of Mike Smith, we will miss that. We see the video tonight, so you won’t be missing much because the video will be shown when it is at number one.

Madonna narrowly avoids being blocked due to the presenter issue, so we see the video to Like A Virgin tonight. The bad news is that Madonna performed this on the Steve Wright/Peter Powell edition, but Gary Glitter means that we won’t see it.
Alvin Stardust definitely won’t run away because he is back once again with his latest hit. He performed this on Top of the Pops the other week and I must say that it is always a treat to see him on the show.

Jim Diamond has made it to number one with I Should Have Known Better which has been on the show last week, so not really a surprise number one. I don’t really like the song, but I will give it a listen anyway.
Black Lace are in the Top of the Pops studio tonight to conclude the show with Do The Conga. It’s becoming rare to see a band perform at the end of the show, but don’t worry, I bet you’ll still see cheerleaders falling off things.

Next Friday’s festive Top of the Pops will be introduced by Simon Bates and Janice Long.

Thanks again for a great preview Legsfan, looks like another good show like last night.

As always, thank you sueforever.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. A show of videos and oldies. Alvin Stardust and Tina Turner were in their forties. Slade were getting on a bit too. And Jim Diamond looked older than he was. That song is soo whiney, amazed it got to the top.

I have heard Fresh before. I just didn't recognize the name.

Legsfan wrote
The Eurythmics’ video to Sex Crime 1984 gets another showing tonight, though I thought the word sex was banned on TV.
But they did omit the first 10 seconds or so from the video

So they just banned foreplay?

PattiForPM wrote
So they just banned foreplay?
I believe that is what the National Viewers' and Listeners' Association campaign for.

A quick glimpse of Trisha at the end of the show. The cheerleaders are hardly getting a look in these days. Another Hurll idea that didn't last.