TOTPs 11/02/16 (Originally aired 19/03/81)

TOTPs 11/02/16 (Originally aired 19/03/81)

19-03-81: Presenter: Peter Powell    (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(28)   THE JACKSONS – Can You Feel It? (background)
(33)   SHARON REDD - Can You Handle It?
(2)     SHAKIN' STEVENS  - This Ole House (video)
(30)   DAVE STEWART & COLIN BLUNSTONE - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted?
(9)     THE WHO - You Better You Bet ®
(18)   STEVIE WONDER - Lately (danced to by Legs & Co.)
(14)   PHIL COLLINS - I Missed Again ®
(-)     BUCKS FIZZ – Making Your Mind Up
(24)   VISAGE - Mind Of A Toy (video)
(20)   DURAN DURAN – Planet Earth ®
(8)     TOYAH - It's A Mystery
(1)     ROXY MUSIC - Jealous Guy (video/credits)

Can you feel it? (yes)  Can you handle it? (barely) Can you believe it? (not really). "And nowwww, the end is here. And so we face, her final dance moves". After four and a half years as a very memorable member, Pauline makes her 231st and final appearance with Legs & Co, dancing to Stevie Wonder's appropriately-toned Lately. Come the 26th March 1981 edition, Ms. Peters would be absent with no mention made whatsoever to her departure in either show, so to all intents and purposes the watching millions, particularly those with a keen eye for all things Legs, would have concluded that the cute, exotic looking one with the friendly face was away for a break. No fanfare or notification whatsoever. Indeed, it would take little over two months until Legs & Co. were restored to a full sextet, one who would provide a little more balance to the blonde/brunette scale with a wilder mane and dark brown eyes to match...
Pauline was elsewhere though. electing not to start a family at the age of 28 but to make a career-path adjustment having felt during the latter months of 1980 the desire for a change. With certain opportunities opening up for Pauline a 'one or the other' decision had to be made due to the restrictive impositions which were part of the Legs & Co. 'contract', usage of time included. She took the plunge which, with the benefit of video age hindsight, was a wise one and took up a few minor roles in TV adverts such as one for a Woolworths 'Cracking Christmas' and in the BBC's wartime drama Tenko, based around a Japanese internment camp, bringing in the pennies whilst studying, training and qualifying to become a Fitness Instructor.
We have Rosie to thank for Pauline's  presence in Legs & Co. because she was only at the audition for the practice! Having both been selected by Flick after being whittled down from auditions involving hundreds of applicants answering the advert seen in The Stage newspaper, since the audition process had begun, Pauline had secured a role in the Tommy Steele Anniversary Show and upon saying 'thanks but no thanks' to Flick, Rosie used her initiative and took Pauline away for a conflab over the wash basins in the 'Ladies'. With the Steele show encompassing three months maximum, Rosie persuaded her polite colleague to renege on that particular agreement in favour of a role with an indeterminate time-span but, if Pan's People were anything to go by, might be a whole lot longer. How right she was.
For her swansong bathed in sunset, Pauline makes a return to the form of her early time with Legs & Co. - not exactly receiving the lions share of camera-time - up at the back for the most part of this routine to a song taken from Stevie Wonder's Hotter Than July album from which 'Master Blaster (Jammin')' had reached No.2 and 'I Ain't Gonna stand For It' No.10. No.2 for Lately which hits all the right notes for a farewell song which had appeared in the lower reaches of the UK chart just weeks previously when covered reggae-style by Eddy Grant's brother Rudy.
How apt the final line of the song is..." 'Cause this time could mean goodbye"

                                                                                                    "Hello"

                                                                                                  "Goodbye"

What a lovely tribute to Pauline, PD ....   informative and true in every sense.
Exceptionally beautiful, effortlessly sexy, and a wonderful radiant smile to melt any bloke’s heart, I'm really going to miss the weekly appearances of Pauline.

TOTPs were pretty awful when came to actually telling the viewers that there was going to be a change. In general they were there one minute and gone the next. Unusually DLT did tell us that it would be Louise's last dance before 'Ghost in My House' and I think he said it was because she wanted to start a family. Although this would have been done as a lead in to the introduction of the delightful young lady that was standing next to him at the time. The only other time seems to have been the last Legs dance, all other occasions it seems all you got was the introduction of the replacements a week or more later if you were lucky.
Still living in 1979

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Doc wrote
Unusually DLT did tell us that it would be Louise's last dance before 'Ghost in This House'
"There's a Ghost in my House"
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

bucksby
No mention of Pauline leaving but just one month later TOTP make a fuss about Rosie's 21st birthday. Sharon Redd's performance was given a Legs credit by Peter Powell at least.

What a great tribute to Pauline PD. She will be certainly missed from the troupe.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I will be sorry to see Pauline go too, it is going to be strange to see a new face in the troupe but I hope we will all give Anita a fair crack of the whip (I for one don't remember what she looked like, I am resisting the urge to have a peek, hoping for a pleasant surprise when she makes her  BBC4 debut)....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Away from the tearful Pauline departure, im quite looking forward to Bucks Fizz, pre the Euros ?

bucksby wrote
Sharon Redd's performance was given a Legs credit by Peter Powell at least.
Legs & Co do get lots of camera time in this. Its quite unusual for a female artist to receive backing from Legs & Co, its usually the blokes who get that honour.

That'd make a great "mashed hit"

There's A Ghost In This Ole House

Anyways onto this week's program, & while it was good, it was more of a mixed bag than we've come to expect of '81, thus fat.
Shakin' Stevens, a victim of editing for time, for the 19:30 premiere on BBC Four.
From what I've seen tonight, the cream of this week's crop, Bucks Fizz, Toyah, Duran Duran, Bryan Ferry, & the Who.
Not so good were Sharon Redd, really I couldn't care less if she was backed by Legs & Co., her track sounded like a rerecorded version on one of those cheapo K-Tel/Ronko compilations that you can buy at petrol stations, & as for the Dave Stewart & Colin Blunstone, What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted abomination, enough already, the best bit was the middle-eight.
Sadly, it was Pauline's final appearance on TOTPs, with Legs & Co., dancing to a lyrically appropriate Stevie Wonder ballad, a shame that she was spared the dignity of an acknowledgement from Peter Powell, that this was to be her swansong performance on TOTPs.

Thanks, RubberbandMan.
Just so very true in all respects and a fine summation from yourself.

Yes, a good one liner that's spot on.
Still living in 1979

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I have to say, the performance by The Who was even better this time around, what a band they must have been, so much energy, to just rock up and sing one song live, and Daltrey nails it. You can see what a debt Paul Weller owes to them, and even all the 90s Britpop bands.

However as its a repeat I will probably vote for Toyah when the time comes, there is something I like watching about her, maybe the weird lisp!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

I agree, for some reason i also enjoyed the repeat of The Who more on this show. I think the shock of seeing Roger's weird hairdo had abated enough for me to get into the performance more on this show.

So who did you look out for more back then, Cheryl Baker or Jay Aston ? I was always more into the bright bubbly Cheryl more than the more moody Jay. I do remember when the skirt pulling off was deemed to be quite a risque thing to do then, but i do think it contributed to the songs popularity on the night of the Euros itself. I do wonder if there has ever been a better UK sounding song to have won the song contest ?

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
That Who song is a real ear-worm, Ive been singing it all day....the more I sing it in my head, the more it sounds like a Meatloaf song....

As for your Bucks Fizz poser, I was thinking along exactly the same lines when watching the show last night, ie, that at the time I thought Cheryl was the height of sexiness ( I was 9½) but now its no contest - It's Jay all day long.

However I would swap them both for a cuddle with Rosie H!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

A fine tribute to a fine lady, PD. This show is among the most significant in OFTD history and sole focus denotes the respect we all hold Pauline in, as well as redressing some of the balance from 35 years ago when TOTP treated it as just another day in the office.

Thanks GD.
Indeed, to me, Pauline's departure more than warranted the full, harsh glare of singular star attention - one which I hope the unassuming lady herself appreciated.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote

However as its a repeat I will probably vote for Toyah when the time comes, there is something I like watching about her, maybe the weird lisp!
I didn't mind this on the first showing, but now I'm really irritated by the high-pitched squawk of the "A shot in the dark" lyric.

After a bit of a bumpy start, this turned out to be one of the better shows from 1981 so far. Just a single dud right at the beginning but once that was over and done with, an enjoyable and versatile show.
12