TOTPs 11/05/17 (Originally aired 10/11/83)

TOTPs 11/05/17 (Originally aired 10/11/83)

10-11-83 Introduced by David ‘Kid’ Jensen and John Peel (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(26)  Musical Youth - 007
(5)    Adam Ant – Puss ‘N Boots (video)
(32)  Marilyn – Calling Your Name
(27)  Eurythmics – Right By Your Side
(20)  Limahl – Only For Love
(10)  The Cure – The Love Cats
(1)    Billy Joel – Uptown Girl (video)
(30)  Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart (audience dancing/credits)

November is upon us and we are nearing the end of 1983. The year’s best presenting duo Peel and Jensen present this edition, so you know that it is going to be good! Some interesting music on the show tonight which I’m sure will make this one the week’s stronger edition.

Musical Youth are back with another hit, but I doubt it will make it to number one as I have already spoiled that surprise in my earlier previews, . Yes Musical Youth are in the studio for the first time since Christmas 1982!

Adam Ant is still having a successful solo career without the ants, but again he isn’t in the studio, so it’s video time! This is one of two videos on the show tonight, but due to the strange structure of the show, the only other video is the number one. Anyway, this is very high in the charts and will be remembered as one of Adam’s biggest hits.

Marilyn is a new name to Top of the Pops and he is calling your name to come and watch this performance. Another new 80s bands lands firmly into the new decade, though the 70s hangover just about ended last year, we will be seeing a song from yesteryear later in the show, so it is really a mix of old and new.

The Tour…I mean the Eurythmics are back with a lesser known hit that hasn’t made a huge impact, though is still a good watch. They have really made a name for themselves in 1983 as being one of the year’s biggest bands, from Sweet Dreams to Love Is A Stranger and Who’s That Girl? I know that this will be a memorable performance like the others.

Limahl is no longer with Kajagoogoo and is making his solo debut on Top of the Pops performing Only For Love which feels quite strange as in the beginning of the year he was at number one, but now he is on his own just in the top twenty. I would say that he would become more successful than Kajagoogoo due to his super hit next year, but for now we see him on the pops with this song.

The Cure are back on the show which is no surprise as they were guaranteed to get another hit after their earlier success. This is the last studio performance of the night and really does sum up the show in general as one that is more realistic instead of a show filled with videos. If only all editions were like this then we would still have Legs & Co… I’m sure all the Cure fans will be delighted that their single gains them another appearance on the show.

Billy Joel is still at number one, but I think that by now this song has lost its magic, though it will be at number one for the last time on tomorrow’s show, so If you are tired of it then you’ll be happy, but if you love it, you’ll be sad.

Joy Division is that yesteryear band I was talking about who have just had success with Love Will Tear Us Apart which was first released many years ago, but for obvious reasons this song will never be performed on the show, though we do get it as an audience dancing/credits which is nice.

The next Top of the Pops is introduced by Gary Davies and Jimmy Savile, so we will be skipping the 17/11 edition on BBC Four.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Simon Bates and Richard Skinner.

Re: TOTP Tonight

CoffeeThing
No stress mate, you do a great job and as you say most record the full version later. They are always a great read and clearly loads of work goes into them.  Thank you again for writing them.

Re: TOTP Tonight

Legsfan
Thanks CoffeeThing
The preview is now up.

Thanks for another good Preview Legsfan.

Found this show quite a boring one.  Adam Ant's video was good but disliked the song.  Marilyn I had never seen before but had heard plenty about.  I noticed how his song sampled Diana Ross and the Supremes Reflections intro.  Anything else was just Poundshop material.  Really disappointing.  Best thing really was John Peel.

The girl in the Adam Ant Puss 'n' Boots video is Karen Landau, girlfriend of Adam at the time of making the vid.
Not much info about her other than she also appeared in a film called Cinderella: The Shoe Must Go On.

The Rubberband Man wrote
The girl in the Adam Ant Puss 'n' Boots video is Karen Landau, girlfriend of Adam at the time of making the vid.
Ahh, thanks for that RBM. She was quite delightful. I guess one of the `short-term` benefits of being a famous pop star is having girlfriends of that calibre.
RYAN