TOTPs 11/08/17 (Originally aired 10/05/84)

TOTPs 11/08/17 (Originally aired 10/05/84)

10-05-84 Introduced by David Jensen & John Peel. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(12)  Belle & The Devotions – Love Games
(3)    Queen – I Want To Break Free (video)
(7)    The Flying Pickets – When You’re Young & In Love
(6)    Bob Marley & The Wailers – One Love (People Get Ready) (video)
(28)  Terri Wells – I’ll Be Around
(4)    The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video/dancers)
(1)    Duran Duran – The Reflex (video)
(24)  Jeffrey Osborne – Stay With Me Tonight (audience dancing/credits)

David and John introduce this week’s Top of the Pops, but I’m afraid you’ll have to make the most of David Jensen as this is his second to last regular Top of the Pops appearance, but don’t worry, John Peel will be with us for many more years to come.

Starting off this edition is Belle & The Devotions with Love Games.  It must be Eurovision season because this is the UK’s entry for this year. It came 7th in the song contest, so again the UK didn’t win Eurovision this year.
Well this is a video that was incredibly popular last week, but I am surprised it is being shown because Queen has been a non-mover at number three for the past couple of weeks. I’m thrilled it is being shown as I find it quite entertaining and the song is quite good.

The Flying Pickets’ song which I really don’t like is back on the show. Maybe I’ll skip this one, well it has done quite well chart wise as it has made it into the top ten at number seven. Someone must be buying it.
Bob Marley’s ‘star-studded’ video gets another showing. We still have some faces to identify, so I don’t think the video is filled with ‘A’ list stars.

Terri Wells’ I’ll Me Around just makes it into the top thirty. It’ll be interesting to see Terri perform on Top of the Pops as I have read that it should be something to watch out for if you flick through the edition.
Right this Pointer Sisters performance is listed as Zoo on Popscene, as we all know Flick’s Zoo ended last year, so this is just a group of dancers unrelated to Flick. I must say that the BBC should have just shown the video because the dancers are just awful. The mask from the Trio Da Da Da performance from a couple of years ago makes a return, again!

Duran Duran are still at number one with The Reflex. Something fresh for the end of the show because the Lionel Hello from a couple of weeks ago was stale and boring by the end of the sixth week.
Jeffrey Osborne’s hit is played over the audience dancing/credits. These audience dancing things have become quite ‘fake’ because from what I can see on most editions, it is just the professional dancers on camera and the audience right in the background.

Top of the Pops won’t be on next week. The next edition will be introduced by Simon Bates & Peter Powell.

They played the full Queen video this time. Still a 10/10 for Queen.

Thats a different version of the Bob Marley video!

They're still spelling Chaka Khan's name wromg!

Thanks for the preview Legsfan. David Jensen was/will be a big loss to TOTP. But news is news and well brought.

Well those performers certainly perked up The Pointer Sisters pedestrian video. The street dancer was very proficient and the robot very cool in its day. But I do prefer my dancers to look like Belles.

Far too niche to unite us but I was sorry to witness the Cocteau Twins' Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, er, drop, without being featured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-5Xgw6d3h0

Personal ratings for this edition.
(12)  Belle & The Devotions – Love Games 7/10
(3)    Queen – I Want To Break Free (video) 10/10
(7)    The Flying Pickets – When You’re Young & In Love 0/10
(6)    Bob Marley & The Wailers – One Love (People Get Ready) (video) 10/10
(28)  Terri Wells – I’ll Be Around 7/10
(4)    The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video/dancers) 0/10EDIT: 10/10 Vin is right.
(1)    Duran Duran – The Reflex (video) 7/10
(24)  Jeffrey Osborne – Stay With Me Tonight (audience dancing/credits) 2/10

Overall: 8/10

Nobody on the web knows who the lady with the hat and scarf from the Bob Marley video is. Some think it is Kate from Haysi Fantaysee, but she appears later in the video. Others think it is the girl from the Thompson Twins, but it ain't.
Maybe she should have been the star of Who's That Girl?

Legsfan wrote
Nobody on the web knows who the lady with the hat and scarf from the Bob Marley video is. Some think it is Kate from Haysi Fantaysee, but she appears later in the video. Others think it is the girl from the Thompson Twins, but it ain't.
Maybe she should have been the star of Who's That Girl?
Here's a link to a web page about the video LF :
http://worlds-enders.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/jesse-lawrence.html

Thanks Rubberband Man.

They spelt David Jensen's name right at the start of the show, but spelt it as Jenson at the end.

I needed a video to do a test upload on Vimeo, so I thought why not The Pointer Sisters from TOTP last night.

(12)  Belle & The Devotions – Love Games 6/10 They sounded like the Supremes - just not as good!
(3)    Queen – I Want To Break Free (video) 7/10 The video gets a bit tedious with repeated watching.
(7)    The Flying Pickets – When You’re Young & In Love 2/10 Very yawnsome!
(6)    Bob Marley & The Wailers – One Love (People Get Ready) (video) 7/10 Good but not great.
(28)  Terri Wells – I’ll Be Around 4/10 Very disappointing cover of one of the defining soul songs of the 70's.
(4)    The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video/dancers) 9/10 Still a great song, even if the video is dull.
(1)    Duran Duran – The Reflex (video) 7/10 Okay-ish.
(24)  Jeffrey Osborne – Stay With Me Tonight (audience dancing/credits) 4/10 Boring.

Vin

Thanks for the ratings Vin
The Automatic performance was a test to see if I could lift performances from my editions. Yes it has worked!

NickGregory92
Good show. The highlights for me were Queen, Pointer Sisters (especially the dancers) and Duran Duran.

Sad to hear though that this would be Kid Jensen's penultimate appearance on TOTPs - his 'Rhythm Pals' partnership with John Peel worked really well and always enjoyed it while it lasted.

A better show than last night's version.  The three ten cents hookers just don't work for me at all.  Good song but comes across as a poor sounding like Back in Love Again/Love's Unkind Donna Summer hook.  Hard faced individuals.  Queen's video was good to see again.  Flying Pickets were just plain boring.  Bob Marley's video was good to see again but I only recognised two of the guest appearances.  Was not keen on Terri Wells track, preferred the original.  Really liked Pointer Sisters song and the video but the dancers did not really do anything.  This is the version I have had in my collection for some years and in all that time thinking it was Zoo.  Not sure whether Steve Wright introduced them as Zoo on TOTP2 hence the reason why I kept it.  The two guys in singlets and tight white jeans looked awful - very much emulating a Saturday night at the Coleherne bar in SW5.  Would have preferred to have seen the video without the dancers.  Duran Duran were very good again.  Jeffrey Osborne passable.

Legsfan wrote
(4)    The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video/dancers) 0/10EDIT: 10/10 Vin is right.
The mother of all U-turns!

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Legsfan wrote
(4)    The Pointer Sisters – Automatic (video/dancers) 0/10EDIT: 10/10 Vin is right.
The mother of all U-turns!
Well I thought it was a bit cruel because the song ain't that bad and I liked the video & the robotic dancer was cool. I didn't like the rest though.

Legsfan wrote
the song ain't that bad ... I liked the video & the robotic dancer was cool. I didn't like the rest though.
What rest?
Vin

VintageVideos wrote
Legsfan wrote
the song ain't that bad ... I liked the video & the robotic dancer was cool. I didn't like the rest though.
What rest?
The fan dancers and breakdancer. In my opinion they were just terrible.

For me it's easy;  it's a good song and not a good video.  Maybe in my old age things are more marmite flavoured?