TOTPs 13/04/17 (Originally aired 11/08/83)

TOTPs 13/04/17 (Originally aired 11/08/83)

11-08-83 Introduced by Richard Skinner and Tommy Vance (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  David Grant – Watching You Watching Me
(8)    The Style Council – Long Hot Summer (video)
(33)  Level 42 – The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up)
(12)  Spandau Ballet – Gold (video)
(17)  The Creatures – Right Now
(21)  The Lotus Eaters – The First Picture Of You
(10)  Depeche Mode – Everything Counts
(11)  Robert Plant – Big Log (video)
(1)    KC & The Sunshine Band – Give It Up (rpt from 28/07/83)
(15)  Herbie Hancock - Rockit (audience dancing/credits)

Here we are again, having skipped an edition we now find ourselves in mid-August ’83 with Richard Skinner and Tommy Vance who make this edition an enjoyable one. It has been speculated that this edition was live, however evidence suggests that this edition was pre-recorded, but it did go out at an earlier time of 7.05pm. Oh yes I’m sure you will enjoy this edition because it features some of the people that we know and love like The Style Council, The Lotus Eaters, Herbie Hancock + many more fine performances!

Mr David Grant has another solo single after his departure from that band that was obsessed with intuition! Well tonight he watching you while you watch him (that’s if he can see us through the camera and thirty-five years into the future!). I have no doubt that this will be a popular single amongst us as the opening single is usually the most thrilling which helps the show get to a high which we have all gotten used to now. I know I prefer the dull ness of some Top of the Pops’ in the past, well that’s because Legs were always there to brighten up the show and my day.

I’m very surprised about the Style Council’s hit as it has made it into the top ten! Though I think some of the success is due to the fact that the lead singer used to be known as Mr Jam, but I think that the Style Council has a new 80’s look and feel to it, but I do think that the Jam ended way too soon as just before their deformation, they had a number one hit! Well I must admit that the Jam did end on a high, so I guess I should just get used to the Style Council.

Level 42 is another popular band amongst us, so I am certain that there will be tough competition when it comes to voting later today, though I have been missing some of the votes recently as I haven’t been paying much attention to Top of the Pops mainly because all of the dance troupes are at their end and there is very little that gets me motivated to stay up to watch it, though I have been using the iPlayer to catch up on my way to work on Mondays. I never really thought much of Level 42, but they are now growing on me, so I think I will give this one a listen when I get around to watching Top of the Pops later tomorrow.

Spandau Ballet have churned out another definitive hit of the 80s, first it was True, but now we are all going for Gold! However, this is another song that is a part of Michael Hurll’s Video Show. I must admit that I can’t wait to see some good videos on the show, however, I haven’t seen the video to gold since around 2009 or 2010, so it will be a trip down a distant memory lane for me. It would have been great to see them in the studio performing, but after having a number one hit I guess they are too busy to do a television show in their homeland. Well Top of the Pops is for the music, so I’m not too bothered.

Right Now by the Creatures was a song that sounded familiar to me, but I was thinking of All Right Now by Free which Pan’s People and Legs & Co both danced to in their time on the show, but sadly, only the Legs performance exists. Anyway, I’m sure that this performance will be very popular as it was something that was mentioned a few times last week, but only time will tell if it is a song that is enjoyed.

Now I know for certain that the Lotus Eaters was a performance that was the most popular last week as it even won our weekly vote! However, it is highly unlikely that it will win again as only a handful of times has that happened for any performance, but I’m sure it will get at least three votes. It is up against some tough competition, like The Creatures, Depeche Mode and KC, but this won’t be shown again, so I would make the most of it.

Depeche Mode are one of the most successful bands of the 1980s, so it is nice that they have made it back onto Top of the Pops as I would say that the show made them when they performed all the way back in 1981. This is one of their songs that I am way too familiar with as I have heard it many times over the past few years mainly because of radio play, so I think that this one could even be the most popular performance of the week.

We all know who Robert Plant is as he is from Led Zeppelin, so I’m, sorry for my information mix-up last week. He was generally well received by us the last time we saw him, but unfortunately tonight we don’t see him in the studio, but we do get his great video. It was sad to learn that Led Zeppelin didn’t release a single in the UK for many years, so I think that it is a rare treat to see someone from a band that isn’t very big on singles in the UK.

KC & The Sunshine band are at number one. This was at number one for a number of weeks, but due to the BBC’s illegal bans, we will only see this at number one for one week on BBC Four as next week we are in September! Even today this has been remembered as one of the band’s biggest UK hits. His last UK hits was Please Don’t Go which made it to number one in the USA in 1979 which made it the last number one of the 1970s.

Concluding the show tonight is Herbie Hancock’s single which is played over the audience/cheerleaders and credits. This is the one and only August edition we will see as tomorrow we are in September which is a huge shame due to the fact that Mike Smith’s editions are becoming more frequent. I will be here tomorrow providing another preview for you.

The next Top of the Pops is introduced by Gary Davies and Dave Lee Travis, so we will be skipping the 18/08 edition on BBC Four. The 25/08 edition is introduced by Simon Bates and Mike Smith, so we will be skipping that edition as well.

Tomorrow’s  Top of the Pops will be introduced by David Jensen and John Peel.

Yet again another great preview Legsfan. And thanks the e-mail Legsfan, and your kind words.

Flick's got her old job back again

Thanks Sueforever

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I really am quite surprised that Give it Up made it to Number One, I certainly wasn't aware it had
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Legsfan wrote
(8)    The Style Council – Long Hot Summer (video)  => bought 12" single "A Paris"
(12)  Spandau Ballet – Gold (video)  => bought 12" single & album
(10)  Depeche Mode – Everything Counts  => bought album
(11)  Robert Plant – Big Log (video)  => bought album
(1)    KC & The Sunshine Band – Give It Up (rpt from 28/07/83)  => had this on a compilation album
(15)  Herbie Hancock - Rockit (audience dancing/credits)  => bought 12" single
So yes, quite a good show

A trivial chart fact about the Style Council, their first 12 singles all peaked in their second week on the charts. The first eight all entered very high (13 or higher). But in spite of their obvious popularity, none of their singles went any higher than No. 3 (which was Long Hot Summer or "A Paris" as the single was called).

Excellent choices Mr Vin! I think I would have bought some of them if I was around then, but most of them are on compilations that I own. Very interesting about the Style Council's singles! It feels like they are on TOTP every couple of weeks, but I think we have BBC Four to blame for that one.

A really good show this week with plenty to offer.  A very good write up/review too.  Absolutely loved The Style Council.  Paul Weller's voice was and is pure magic.  Never liked this when it was released though.  Excellent video from Spandau Ballet and the rest of the show was really good.  Great to hear Herbie Hancock's hit again as this never gets any airplay at all.

Legsfan wrote
Concluding the show tonight is Herbie Hancock’s single which is played over the audience/cheerleaders and credits.
I usually don't mind the playout with the audience/cheerleaders and the wide shot of the studio that we always get at the end of TOTPs, but it's a pity that "Rockit" was this week's choice for the concluding record. It means we don't get to see the slightly scary video that they made for this song :-

All bound for Lulu Land