TOTPs 14/04/17 (Originally aired 01/09/83)

TOTPs 14/04/17 (Originally aired 01/09/83)

01-09-83 Introduced by David Jensen and John Peel (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(9)    Modern Romance – Walking In The Rain
(4)    Madness – Wings Of A Dove (video)
(30)  Gary Numan - Warriors
         John Peel – European charts:
         Righeria – Vamos A La Playa (video clip)
         Rose Laurens – Africa The Voodoo Master (video clip)
         Ryan Paris – interview + Dolce Vita (video clip)
         Berdian Stenberg – Rondo Rosso (video clip)

(20)  Genesis – Mama (video)
(22)  Big Country - Chance
(32)  Stray Cats – (She’s) Sexy & 17
(1)    UB40 – Red Red Wine (rpt from 25/08/83)
(17)  New Order - Confusion (audience dancing/credits)

We’re now in September with David Jensen and John Peel. We skipped two editions which is tragic as both didn’t have anything to do with Savile, so we now have a completely different chart. The number one track by UB40 is from the Mike Smith edition, so we do get to see something from one of the banned editions. We’re nearly at the end of the year and we’re at the end of the summer, but the hits won’t stop! This is also a very interesting show tonight with some strong performances, but will it get positive feedback?

Modern Romance are releasing more modern hits this summer and it looks like it is paying off as they have made it into the top ten, so it is a surprise that they made it into the studio, well I bet they were hoping that going on Top of the Pops would help them get to number one…. well they didn’t. I haven’t listened to this song, so watching the show later will be the first time I have heard it, but I bet it sounds like some of their earlier hits as I find that bands like this usually have a similar sound each time!

Myself and Madness both made our Top of the Pops debuts at the same time. September 2014 was the edition when they made their BBC Four debut and was also the first edition I watched and look at us now! They have had many huge hits and I’m now doing the Top of the Pops previews! I have listened to this song many times, but I haven’t seen the video yet, so rather than looking on YouTube, I will wait to see this later today. It’s a shame that this didn’t make it to number one, but I’m glad that I will get to see this on Top of the Pops.

Gary Numan is still going strong even though I thought he retired in 1980. I don’t really like some of his 80s music because I find it a bit too 80s if you know what I mean. However, I still enjoy his stuff from the 70s like his Tubeway Army stuff, but I haven’t heard this one yet, so this evening will be the first time hearing this song. I wouldn’t say the 80s stuff is bad, but with most artists I find that their breakthrough work is much better than the stuff they release later in their career.

John Peel is somewhere in Europe presenting the hits that are Top of the European Pops. It should be an interesting feel of the music that people in Europe were buying in August 1983 because I haven’t heard of any of those singles, but I’m sure as these John Peel charts progress, we will know much more about the hits of Europe than we do today.

Genesis are still together even though it has been a turbulent time with the charts, so I think they deserve another UK hit, but will Top of the Pops correctly spell their name this time? I o hope so as it’s not like they are a new band, so incorrect spellings are a bit of an insult to such a well-established band like Genesis. I think Genesis are okay, so I will be looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in their latest single.

Big Country were another popular band when it is time to vote for our favourite performance, but will this single be as popular as “In A Big Country”?, well I hope they are as some of these bands that have been given their breakthrough through shows like Top of the Pops will almost certainly be back if they know that their performances were well received. I know that that isn’t really the case here because we are from the future, but I hope they had a few fan clubs back then.

The Stray Cats have been very popular throughout the world recently, so they are hoping for another UK hit this one is called (She’s) Sexy & 17 which is quite a major release as they haven’t really had a big hit in a couple of years. 1981 was their biggest year, but it seems that they want 1983 to be even bigger, but I doubt that will happen as we are already in September, but I’m sure they will try and release more singles in 1984, so that they are remembered as an 80s group.

UB40 are at number one with Red Red Wine which is their biggest hit for a number of years now. I can remember the last time they had a hit a while back, but I’m sure you can agree that this one has been more successful than the others as it celebrates its first week at number one which is a repeat performance from the Mike Smith edition which was last week in Top of the Pops episode guide. This will be number one for a number of weeks.

We have New Order to play us out today which I think is a bit of an insult to the band as I think that their music deserves a full-on performance and not as a playout track for the audience. In a couple of weeks we will see Blue Monday from earlier in the year repeated, so for the first time in years, we will see something from earlier in the year repeated, but this did happen in the Legs days like with Tragedy.

Next Thursday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Andy Peebles and Peter Powell.

Another good read Legsfan and nice preview. And soon a long number one coming up.

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan, even though I'm reading it after having just watched the show. I was out last night. Going by the chart we've clearly skipped a show or two, no doubt curtesy of the terrible trio, but I'm gutted one of the performances we missed was from the legendary Kinks, who are now already heading south chart-wise. Grrr.

Thanks sueforever and Everything's Rosie
This edition must be the weaker of the two then

Not had chance to watch this yet but Corinne Russell from the Yewtree'd Waiting For A Train routine is listed as one of the cheerleaders.

Yes this is Corrine, though behind the shades and glum face which do nothing for her. This is the intro to the Phil Collins number.

And while we are at it, another dancer from `Waiting For A Train` (Sandy) can be seen in the intro to the Madness video.

A good show this week.  Enjoyed the video to Madness and can see how videos sold singles.  This song did nothing for me though.  Gary Numan's track was fair but he seemed to be losing the upper echelons of the chart and just had his die hard fans.  The European charts could have been missed out in all honesty and replaced with another performance.  Interesting to hear Dolce Vita as that is a track that Giorgio Moroder produced for Sparks on their No.1 in Heaven album.  Enjoyed the Genesis track and I still have the 12" single to this.  UB40 good as was the New Order track.  Curious as to the run down of the charts Kid Jenson missed out the title to Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson's track.  Was wondering if it was a timing element as there is a lot of syllables in the performers.

Dancer wrote
 Interesting to hear Dolce Vita as that is a track that Giorgio Moroder produced for Sparks on their No.1 in Heaven album.
Sparks' La Dolce Vita is a completely different song to the Ryan Paris number.

Who is this young lady we've been seeing a lot of lately?

From the 28/7/83 show. She had been the dancer to the left side of the Lotus Eaters.

WTH

I thought it was the same.  Certainly sounds familiar.  Will have a listen to it later.