TOTPs 14/07/17 (Originally aired 08/03/84)

TOTPs 14/07/17 (Originally aired 08/03/84)

08-03-84 Introduced by Gary Davies and Richard Skinner. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(27)  Phil Fearon & Galaxy – What Do I Do?
(2)    Kool & The Gang - Joanna (video)
(36)  The Weather Girls – It’s Raining Men
(32)  Tracey Ullman – My Guy (video)
(37)  Sade – Your Love Is King
(38)  Bananarama – Robert De Niro’s Waiting
(12)  Howard Jones – Hide & Seek
(1)    Nena – 99 Red Balloons (rpt from 16/02/84)
(31)  Mel Brooks – To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) (video/credits)

Tonight we have Gary Davies and Richard Skinner introducing the hits of week 2, March 1984. Not a memorable combination of presenters, but they do the job professionally and to a high standard. Maybe not as excitement in the show, but still you remember them. Interesting show tonight as we see some new and old faces mixed together in this week’s Top of the Pops.

Firstly, we have Phil Fearon with Galaxy performing What Do I Do? Which will be their most successful single since Dancing Tight last year. Phil Fearon is the lead singer of Galaxy, so it is rather strange that he is listed as Phil Fearon & Galaxy, though according to other sources this happened more than once, in fact the bands singles are listed sometimes as Galaxy featuring Phil Fearon or sometimes just Galaxy. Confusing I know, but this is still the same Galaxy from 1983. It will be interesting to see this song for the very first time as it would be one of their most successful hits.

Kool & The Gang’s video again now to Joanna. We saw the video a couple of weeks ago, but the gang weren’t available to do Top of the Pops, so it was destined never to re-appear, however, because the single has gone to number two the people at Top of the Pops have no choice to re-show the video. From what I can gather the video to Joanna is about a lady who works in a diner and has flashbacks to her younger days as a dancer. I’m not a big fan of this video, so it definitely wouldn’t get my vote for “Video of the year 1984” at the Rock & Pop awards.

The Weather Girls now with It’s Raining Men. The song had been written by Paul Jabara and Paul Shaffer, but they didn’t have much luck in getting someone to sing it as before the Weather Girls, the song had been offered to Diana Ross, Cher, Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand. Weather Girls Martha Walsh and Izora Armstead took a chance to start a career and it really did pay off. It was an international hit, though it only made it to number one on an American chart, it made the top ten in a number of European countries.

Tracey Ullman is back with My Guy which we see the video on tonight’s Top of the Pops. This is a cover of Madness’ 1979/80 hit My Girl which made it to number three and was the first ever performance on Top of the Pops of the 1980s. Four years later Tracey is giving it ago, though changing the name from My Girl to My Guy. She would be fooling herself if she thought she could beat Madness’ success, because you can never beat the original. In this case that is correct because it would only make it to number twenty-three in the charts, though it was more successful in Ireland where it made it to number seven. As a result this is the only time we will see this on Top of the Pops in 1984.

A new name to the pop world now. The band is called Sade and is fronted by Helen Adu, known more commonly as Sade Adu (recently appointed CBE). This is Sade’s debut single and their first appearance on Top of the Pops. The Brits get this Sade single before America for once ad this was released in the UK in 1984 and in the US in 1985, which surprises me because this was very successful quite early in the year, so I would have thought they would have seen the UK success of the song and released it immediately in the US, but not this time. Sade might not be everyone’s favourite band at the moment because recently the charts have been filled with New Wave/Rock/Pop sounds, but Sade is something different with a Soul/Jazz sound which I’m sure will be interesting to hear. Sade will have more successful hits, so expect to see more from them soon.

Everyone’s favourite girls now! Yes Bananarama are back with a new song called Robert De Niro’s Waiting. This is Bananarama’s first single since Cruel Summer (1983) last year which we saw the girls perform in the Top of the Pops studio back in July 1983, so it is nice to see them finally return. Apparently this song was originally called Al Pacino’s waiting, but they decided that Robert De Niro’s Waiting sounded much better. You may have already seen this performance a little while back as it was featured on 1984: Big Hits. I’m looking forward to this performance as I have really started to have a thing for one of the Bananarama girls, but I won’t reveal which one!

We saw Howard Jones’ video to Hide & Seek last week, but he is in the studio today because it has climbed the charts to a respectable number twelve. As Vin pointed out I made a mistake last week by stating it was a new entry, but I must check more than one source for my chart information, though it has kind of become a tradition to make a mistake in the previews, though every time isn’t intentional, but doing one preview is better than two as I have more time to prepare. Anyway, Howard Jones is in the studio and this is the second and last time we will see this.

Nena is still at number one! However, I have some bad news. She was at number one for three weeks, but the first two on BBC Four were the repeat of the 16th February performance and I know you would like to see the video, but it will be shown next week which is a Mike Smith edition, so we will only see this performance on BBC Four. This is the last BBC Four week at number one, so make the most of it as someone called Lionel will be at number one next BBC Four week. Well done Nena for making it to number one! (I still prefer the German version though).

Concluding the show tonight is Mel Brooks with To Be Or Not To Be (The Hitler Rap) which we see the video tonight over the credits. Well as the name might suggest it has something to do with Hitler. Despite the song climbing the charts to number twelve, this is the only time we will see this song on Top of the Pops, though quite a strange single, it is meant to be comical in some way, so should be something suitable to conclude the show tonight.

The Next Top of the Pops was introduced by Simon Bates and Mike Smith, so we will be skipping the 15/03 edition on BBC Four.
Next Thursday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Janice Long and Peter Powell.

Thanks for an informative preview, Legsfan. After a couple of duff shows, this one looks quite good.
If you like Bananarama, you will have to try and see them live later in the year. Personally I rate them as not as good as The Bangles but better than Atomic Kitten.

Old Grey Whistler wrote
If you like Bananarama, you will have to try and see them live later in the year. Personally I rate them as not as good as The Bangles but better than Atomic Kitten.
I think its a clear distinction between girl groups who play instruments and girl groups who are simply vocalists. Whilst its nice to watch and listen to the likes of Bananarama and indeed the later Atomic Kitten, for me the Bangles, Go-Gos and Belle Stars will always win out as they were proper musicians as it were playing instruments in a band and looking not to shabby into the bargain.

It's a bit ironic really but if Mel Brooks had been dressed up as Dave Lee Travis rather than Hitler, BBC4 would probably have edited him out.

What a good point you make

Indeed, and over the last couple of years we've had several Boy George appearances on the show. Yes, THAT Boy George, the one who served a custodial sentence for handcuffing and imprisoning a young male "friend" of his in his house. Obviously something the Beeb hasn't a problem with.

Not a bad show, I liked most of the tracks. I wasn't exactly offended by the Hitler rap but I certainly don't have to hear that again.
Liked Phil Fearon & Galaxy (bought the 12" single in 1984), but the highlight was Sade's first and best single.

NickGregory92
Good show tonight, and its great to see Sandy back. She's gorgeous

Doc, we have a new member for SBATRAS.

A good show tonight.  Enjoyed Phil Fearon.  Sounded very Dooleys only more soul/funk.  Kool & Gang really good and this deserved to be No.1.  Weather Girls were good but never keen on this song until Geri Halliwell recorded it.  Tracey Ullmann's video was good until Mr Kinnock appeared in it.  Sade okay but never keen on this track.  Bananarama gave a good performance and Howard Jones was excellent considering he was live.  He really gave it his all.  Mel Brooks was good too.  Tonight's edition I seemed to be spending more time looking at the audience and the women were really kitted out well and some of the guys.  Do think the balloons are a big turn off though.  Also enjoyed Richard Skinner's attempts at dancing.  He looked a good mover.  A good write up too Legsfan.  You have shown a marked improvement since your first attempt.

Dancer wrote
  Tracey Ullmann's video was good until Mr Kinnock appeared in it.
Oldest trick in the book politicians being kinda groovy and down with the kids by appearing with pop and rock stars. Just ask Comrade Corbyn.

Dancer wrote
 ...but never keen on this song until Geri Halliwell recorded it.
Now there's a line you don't see very often!

zenon
Thought the first half was dull but the second half blew me away. Full marks to Howard Jones for going totally live and they saved the best to last with Mel Brooks despite his character.

Oldest trick in the book politicians being kinda groovy and down with the kids by appearing with pop and rock stars. Just ask Comrade Corbyn.
And they always seem to be leftists, even Harold Wilson courted The Beatles. And each generation of kids fall for it.

I did not know Corbinladen had appeared in videos.  Not really interested to be honest.  Get sick of hearing his principles on the news.  Was trying to mull it over which Labour MP appeared in a Bananarama video?

Geri's version was more hard edged - more funk to it.  The Weather Girls version was very Paul Jabara - strings and big band.  Could never see Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand recording this either.  If they had it would never have been the hit it became with the WGs.

Who's That Hurll wrote
Doc, we have a new member for SBATRAS.
and in that rather fetching outfit, who could resist!

I wonder who the Gill impersonator was?