TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

This scheduling of 1981 in fast forward by BBC4 means there is little time to fit in these Yewtreed episodes, but here is the first of the year for anyone that wants it. Thanks to Meer and Popscene.

https://vimeo.com/151843798
Better quality version to download by following this link http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=13942

Susan Fassbender – “Twilight Café” (63)
Gary Numan – “This Wreckage” (20) (rpt from 18/12/80)
Light Of The World – “I Shot The Sheriff” (68)
Dire Straits – “Romeo & Juliet” (49)
Stevie Wonder – “I Ain’t Gonna Stand For It” (17) (Legs & Co)
Phil Collins – “In The Air Tonight” (36)
UFO – “Lonely Heart” (61)
Mac Davis – “It’s Hard To Be Humble” (27) (US TV clip)
Ultravox – “Vienna” (52)
Queen – “Flash” (10) (video)
John Lennon – “Imagine” (1) (video)
Yarbrough & Peoples – “Don’t Stop The Music” (19) (credits)

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

VintageVideos
Thanks Mikey. It's nice that someone has uploaded this episode but the stretched picture is a pain. I will never understand why people do that.

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Its quite a surprise that Robin Nash is once again credited as the exec producer. I wonder what happened to Mr Hurll during this early part of the new year and when he will return?

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
Could have a been a late Xmas holiday.

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

PattiforPM
Maybe he had to retake Sensitivity O-level

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Thanks for this link Mikey and thanks to Meer who is possibly going to be the Manorak of 1981 by the looks of things. I would really struggle without your links Mikey being a total technopohobe who finds it hard enough navigating around this site looking for where to vote etc never mind tackling the wider internet!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Maybe he was in the Caribbean in his "family" home over Xmas a la the boss of the Environment Agency.....
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Popscene have posted a link to this show in the first post of this topic:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=13942

You can't watch it there, you have to download it first, but the quality is a bit better than on vimeo and the aspect ratio is correct (no stretched picture!).

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Well well well, life certainly has a way of throwing bouncers at you.

I'm quite a geek for 70s and 80s music but I must say I've not come across Susan Fassbender before. Just watched the first 5 minutes of this edition, and its very rare a song catches me by the end of the very first time I play it.....but I was humming along and tapping my feet to Twilight Café before the song had even ended.....I thought wow this girl is really good.....so I googled her....only to find she committed suicide in 1991. So sad. RIP Susan
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
So I've just watched my third TOTP1981 in three days! Spoilt!

I've said it before but like Savile before him DLT does make presenting the show seem so easy.

This was a very strong episode musically with Dire Straits, Phil Collins and Ultravox all tempted into the studio to perform live.

Best routine for a while as well - think it could be an 8 when it comes time to vote, the catsuit really making the most of Rosie's long flowing limbs and she throws in a couple of nostril flares to boot. Gill looks smoking hot in blue hair though.

Ps thanks for introducing me to Popscene VV, seems like a great site and yes the download is clearer
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

PattiForPM wrote
Maybe he had to retake Sensitivity O-level
I gave it up as a bad job after my fifth resit !

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

No problem RNOF, yeah sadly Manorak was curtailed just before this ep was due.

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Thanks Vin, i've put the link in the first post

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

How could anybody with an IQ greater than 3, ever think that Light Of The World’s version of “I Shot The Sheriff” was better than Bob Marley version or Eric Clapton’s cover   I am completely stunned. It really beggars belief what folk will spend their hard earned cash on.

The same could be said for Mac Davis, “It’s Hard To Be Humble”. However, I do do know who bought stuff like this – my Dad did !!!!  What an embarrassment.

The show’s notable for the first airing of Ultravox – the nation’s favourite No. 2. Who’d have thought a record about Rigsby’s cat would do so well....

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Gorgeous Daze
Always assumed Susan Fassbender was American. Classic one-hit-wonder and synth-pop C-lister.

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

PattiforPM
Thanks for posting this Mikey.  Some real classics here from big names with my personal pinnacle being Phil Collins.  Shame about Mr Numan's tangled braces (they call them suspenders here but that would just have confused everyone) but nice to see Tina Fey getting her first break singing about the Café.  Mac Davis inhabited latrine of the week for me but overall this was good fare and definitely deserved to be shown of course

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Doc
The better quality link is now dead.
Still living in 1979

Get it while you can, as I always say. Those TOTP downloads are mostly fleeting.

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Doc
I have a version but it's been recorded in stretchy vision! (1024x576)
Still living in 1979

Re: TOTPs 15-01-81 Dave Lee Travis

Andeebee
Doc wrote
I have a version but it's been recorded in stretchy vision! (1024x576)
yes some fool trying to make it HD by putting it in WS