TOTPs 16/03/17 (Originally aired 19/05/83)

TOTPs 16/03/17 (Originally aired 19/05/83)

19-05-83 Introduced by Simon Bates and Gary Davies (LIVE) (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(27)  D Train - Music
(3)    New Edition - Candy Girl (video)
(34)  David Grant – Stop & Go
(10)  Blancmange – Blind Vision (video)
(5)    The Beat - Can't Get Used To Losing You
(12)  Wham! - Bad Boys (video)
(38)  JoBoxers - Just Got Lucky
(20)  Yazoo - Nobody's Diary
(7)    Fun Boy Three - Our Lips Are Sealed
(1)    Spandau Ballet - True (video/credits)

Introducing this LIVE! Edition of Top of the Pops tonight is Simon Bates and Gary Davies. The chart has changed quite a bit since we last saw Top of the Pops last week, so Simon and Gary are introducing some new hits by D Train, David Grant and Yazoo which we haven’t heard before. Even more interesting is that this edition is LIVE across the nation, so extra points for whoever notices mistakes!

D Train kick off Top of the Pops tonight with their number twenty-seven hit “Music” which they are performing in the studio tonight. This is also their debut on Top of the Pops as their earlier hits didn’t make it into the bottom part of the charts, so they weren’t invited on the show. The band were active from 1980-1985 and didn’t really have much success as this song only made it to number twenty-three, but their other hit in a few years will reach number fifteen. If you guessed that this would be the only time they would perform this song on Top of the Pops, then you are right! This is the only time we will be seeing them perform this song on the show.

New Edition continue the flow of the music on the show tonight with “Candy Girl” which is shown in video form tonight. This song was on the 1000th edition with Flick Colby’s Zoo dancing to the track, but again they were unable to make it to the studio, so even though the single is at number three this week, it will be in video form. New Edition has been performing on and off since 1978, but they would have huge success in the UK charts when this single would climb the charts even further. Will it make it to number one though?

David Grant of Linx is in the Top of the Pops performing “Stop & Go” which is just out of the top thirty at number thirty-four this week. This is David’s first major single since the break-up of Linx, so he is without the rest of the band tonight. This single would reach number nineteen in the charts, but we won’t be seeing David perform this again on Top of the Pops, but we will be seeing him later in the year when he performs another solo hit in the Top of the Pops studio.

Blancmange aren’t in the Top of the Pops studio tonight, so we get to see the video to their number ten hit “Blind Vision” which was performed in the studio on the 1000th show, but we all know why we didn’t see that edition. The song is at its peak position tonight, so we won’t see Blancmange perform this single again, but don’t worry, Blancmange will be back on Top of the Pops next year.

The Beat are in the Top of the Pops again after performing on the 1000th show when their single “Can’t Get Used To Losing You” was at number twenty-nine, but it has shot up the charts this week to number five. This track was originally on their 1980 album ‘I Just Can’t Stop It’, but has just been released in the UK now. This single would eventually make it to number three and would be the Beat’s last top ten hit before their break up.

Wham! are in video form this week performing Bad Boys. Taken from their debut album, this single is in the charts at number twelve this week and would sell extremely well due to the single being released both on 7” and 12” singles. This is Wham!’s biggest single since “Young Guns” back in November 1982 and also made it into the US charts where they were listed at Wham!-UK. The single will eventually make it to number two and they would perform in the Top of the Pops studio, but unfortunately Jimmy Savile co-hosts that edition, so this is the only time we will see this song on the show.

JoBoxers are back on Top of the Pops which isn’t a surprise after all their previous single “Boxer Beat” was a huge success, so this week they find themselves performing “Just Got Lucky” which has gone straight into the charts this week at number thirty-eight. The song would climb the charts and JoBoxers would be back in the Top of the Pops studio, but they are on the Savile edition with Wham!, so we won’t be seeing them either. The JoBoxers have had two major hits now, but will they make it to three? Don’t miss Top of the Pops otherwise you might never find out!

One of the biggest bands of 1982, Yazoo, is in the studio performing “Nobody’s Diary” which has gone straight into the charts at an impressive twenty. This is Yazoo’s first release since “The Other Side Of Love” which was all the way back in 1982 and I actually thought the band wouldn’t release again after that, but here they are nearly a year later. This single would make it to number four, so Yazoo would perform in the studio again, but like Wham! and JoBoxers this is on the Savile edition, so make the most of those three singles on this show.

The Specials, I mean Fun Boy Three are back in the Top of the Pops studio with their number seven hit “Our Lips Are Sealed”. They performed this on the 1000th edition, but we are lucky enough to have them back in the studio performing this song again. The Go-Go’s originally released this in 1981, but it only made number forty-seven in the charts, but the three fun boys made this one a hit. On this single backing vocals were provided by the Mo-dettes drummer June Miles-Kingston who is still drumming today!

Is it true that Spandau Ballet are at number one? Yes! The band are still at the top of the charts with their first number one “True” which has been at number one for four weeks now. Again we will be seeing the video, but this time we will have the credits played over, so if you like the credits and this song, well you’ll really love this! Finally this LIVE!! Edition is over.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will only be twenty minutes in length.

Tomorrow's mini edition of Top of the Pops will be introduced by Peter Powell and Pat Sharp.

Legsfan wrote
The Specials, I mean Fun Boy Three are back in the Top of the Pops studio with their number seven hit “Our Lips Are Sealed”. They performed this on the 1000th edition, but we are lucky enough to have them back in the studio performing this song again. The Go-Go’s originally released this in 1981, but it only made number forty-seven in the charts, but the three fun boys made this one a hit. On this single backing vocals were provided by the Mo-dettes drummer June Miles-Kingston who is still drumming today!
The Go-Gos original version is in my mind better than the FB3s, though if you go by the chart positions this is not the case with the record buying public. If pushed though id say this is FB3s best single. Of course the Go-Gos and The Specials were old friends who toured together in the early days and `OLAS` was jointly written by Jane Wiedlin & Terry Hall.

Legsfan wrote
The Beat are in the Top of the Pops again after performing on the 1000th show when their single “Can’t Get Used To Losing You” was at number twenty-nine, but it has shot up the charts this week to number five. This track was originally on their 1980 album ‘I Just Can’t Stop It’, but has just been released in the UK now.
The single version is a remix of the album track with slightly different instrumentation. One of their best songs IMO.

Poor Gordon Smith, the Brighton player. He should have secured the FA Cup for Brighton in 83.

"and Smith must score"  epic fail, eh Doc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q4S1t2oVcA

Had to chuckle at The Beat's Ranking Roger. For obvious reasons due to costume, Wakeling couldn't exactly sport the guitar, so instead they gave it to Rog. Just how unconvincing did he look with it.

...and Smith hasn't scored.
Interesting to see the man himself just before being immortalised by Peter Jones' commentary.

Another great preview Legsfan, Just watch it. A far better show, than last Thursday show.

Nice to see Zoo member Voyd Evans in amougst the audience, but no Zoo routine.

Good work, Legsfan, btw. This show had some excellent tracks. The vote will be interesting.

Poor Gordon Smith, the Brighton player. He should have secured the FA Cup for Brighton in 83.

"and Smith must score"  epic fail, eh Doc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q4S1t2oVcA
Strangely my memory made me think the John Peel episode shown just before the 82 final replay was the one before the 83 replay. Probably something to do with the 82 replay being a completely forgettable game. Gordon Smith made a guest appearance half time at a recent game, we still like him.

Thanks for the good work Legsfan. Keep 'em coming Mr DJ!

The charts had a lot of quality just now and this edition reflected it. And the early show cut out the right ones for once.

Wasn't it nostalgic to be reminded how footballers used to be? Grounded ordinary blokes who might live down your street and drive a Ford Cortina and listen to ELO. Yep, more likely than not to be a bit behind the times. Not prima donna rampant consumerists with vulgar taste in almost every way, never more remote from the lives of the fans.

A fair show.  I found there were a lot of fillers in this edition and I hardly recognised any of them.  My favourites were The Beat with their Andy Williams classic, Wham, Yazoo and Spandau Ballet.

I hereby confess a possibly irrational but nevertheless inveterate and enduring hatred of Candy Girl

Me too.  I hated that song and still do.  It occasionally crops up and I switch it off.