TOTPs 17/03/17 (Originally aired 26/05/83)

TOTPs 17/03/17 (Originally aired 26/05/83)

26-05-83 Introduced by Peter Powell and Pat Sharp (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(34)  Big Country – In A Big Country
(13)  Manchester United Football Club – Glory Glory Man United (video clip)
(12)  The Style Council – Money-Go-Round (Part 1) (video clip)
(11)  Bob Marley & The Wailers – Buffalo Soldier (video clip)
(10)  Hot Chocolate – What Kind Boy You’re Lookin’ For (Girl)
(7)    The Police – Every Breath You Take
(1)    New Edition – Candy Girl (video)
(20)  Forrest – Feel The Need In Me (audience dancing/credits)

Introducing this twenty-minute edition of Top of the Pops tonight are DJ’s Peter Powell and Pat Sharp. This is the first time we have seen Pat since he presented the 10th February edition with Janice Long, but don’t expect to see him for a while as he is paired up with Jimmy Savile in the summer, so this is the last time we will see him for the rest of 1983. Don’t worry about Peter Powell as we will be seeing him plenty more times this year!

Kicking off this short edition of Top of the Pops tonight are Big Country with their number thirty-four single “In A Big Country” which they are performing in the Top of the Pops studio. The band from Scotland have already been in the Top of the Pops studio this year as a couple of months ago they were performing “Fields Of Fire (400 Miles)” which managed to make it to number ten, but the single they are performing tonight wouldn’t be as successful as that one, however, it would make the top twenty, so expect to see them back in the Top of the Pops studio in a few weeks.

Manchester United Football Club are performing their number thirteen single “Glory Glory Man United” which was released for the 1983 FA Cup. The single was written by Frank Renshaw who was also a member of Herman’s Hermits, it was recorded Stockport with the football team and friends. The single has been popular with Man United supporters since its release and the official club poster magazine was named after it in 1994. We only see a reduced video clip of this single due to the time restrictions on this edition and this is also the only time we will hear this single on the show.

The Style Council have another hit called “Money-Go-Round (Part 1)” which is in the charts this week at number twelve. This is an impressive chart entry for the band as it has gone straight into the top ten, so we will see this one in video form, but again a reduced clip. They would perform this next week in the Top of the Pops studio when it would climb one place to number eleven, but because that edition won’t be shown on BBC Four, this is the only time we will hear this single on the show.

The late Bob Marley has another hit with The Wailers called “Buffalo Soldier” which has gone straight into the charts this week at number eleven. The single was originally recorded by Marley in 1978, but has just been released officially in the UK now. The title and lyrics refer to the black U.S. cavalry regiments, known at Buffalo Soldiers that fought in the Indian wars after 1866. This song was repeated when the song reached number six as an audience dancing on the Savile edition, so this will be the only time we will hear this on the show. We will see Bob Marley & The Wailers on Top of the Pops in video form next year when One Love charts in the spring.

Hot Chocolate are back in the Top of the Pops studio performing their latest release “What Kinda Boy You’re Lookin’ For (Girl)” which is in the charts this week at number ten. Fronted by the late Errol Brown, this is the bands biggest success since “It Started With A Kiss” which made it to number five in the charts last year. Despite me saying that this single wouldn’t be on Top of the Pops again, here are Hot Chocolate performing it. Sorry about my little error.

The Police are in the Top of the Pops studio performing their number seven hit “Every Breath You Take” which is a new entry this week. Sting wrote the song in the aftermath of his separation from Frances Tomelty and the beginning of his relationship with Trudie Styler. This would become one of the band’s most recognised and popular songs, but I hope you like it because you will be hearing it quite a few times on Top of the Pops.

Spandau Ballet have finally been knocked off the top spot by “Candy Girl” which is performed by New Edition. This is the band’s debut single and has climbed the charts slowly, but has finally made it to the number one spot. The band reminds me of Musical Youth, so I think that’s where they got their inspiration from. Will this song stay at number one for another couple of weeks? Well no it did not. You’ll have to find out the new number one next week.

Forrest’s new single “Feel The Need In Me” which is a cover of the Detroit Emerald’s hit (which Legs & Co danced to) and is at number twenty this week with the audience dancing and credits. This is Forrest’s follow up to “Rock The Boat” earlier in the year, but unfortunately would be Forrest’s last major UK hit, so we won’t be hearing his music again on Top of the Pops.

The next Top of the Pops is introduced by Tony Blackburn and Jimmy Savile, so we will be skipping the 02/06 edition on BBC Four.

Next Thursday’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by David Jensen and John Peel.

Thanks for the write-up LGSF. Pleasantly surprised they are cramming 8 performances into a 20 minute show. I take it there wont be much waffle between songs.

I think i will watch the show a little later. That way i can fast forward through the second item on your list.

I must add that the full edition will be shown in the 7.30 showing.
Here is more information from Bucksby on Popscene

Big Country performance (34)
CHARTS 30-14
Man United video clip - 32 seconds in length. (13)
Style Council video clip (12)
Bob Marley video clip - 1 min 12 seconds in length. (11)
Hot Chocolate performance (10)
CHARTS 9-7
Police Performance (7)
CHARTS 6-2
New Edition video (1)
Forrest  audience dancing/credits. (20)

 That way i can fast forward through the second item on your list.

Thanks for the preview , Mr Fan.
I didn't mind the previous Forrest record you mention. Unfortunately, their Feel The Need cover is bogged down by aural 'mechanics'.

Another good preview Legsfan, looks a packed show for twenty minutes.

No not envy. Call me old fashioned, i just believe in supporting ones local side, not one that wins everything (or used to).

New Edition remind me of The Jackson Five.

Something I have noticed with the BBC Four repeats is that they show more of the audience dancing than the original BBC 1 broadcasts, so technically the BBC Four showings are the first time some of these editions have been shown 'cover to cover'.

Which one of them is Bobby Brown ? Is it the kid in red trousers.

Yes, I think so. I assumed he would be the lead singer not someone standing anonomously at the back. Awful record, amazed it got to number one considering the competition.
And thanks for the preview, Legsfan.
Apparently yesterday's TotPs was preceded that very morning in 1983 by Legs in the TVAM studio.

Everything'sRosie wrote
Apparently yesterday's TotPs was preceded that very morning in 1983 by Legs in the TVAM studio.
I think at that time they were just called ????? ER
Answers to the naming comp on a postcard though, and the winner would be smaX

Is there a clip anywhere of them announcing the winning name on TVAM?

SmaX? Really?
I thought they became Night Moves.

"ABC - easy as one two three". Fits perfectly into the Candy Girl refrain.

If ABC was re-mixed in 1983 I guess that is what it would sound like!

Even though this edition was shorter than yesterday's edition, I liked this one more.

Magicmarker
Good episode this one, some good acts

Anyone know if  the following weeks episode 02/06/83  is available anywhere complete as it won't be shown because of Saville (and JK US countdown).

Quite a good show if not short.  Loved Big Country, Bob Marley, Hot Chocolate and The Police.  Never heard The Style Council's track before.  Still like Paul Weller's voice.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Everything'sRosie wrote
Apparently yesterday's TotPs was preceded that very morning in 1983 by Legs in the TVAM studio.
I think at that time they were just called ????? ER
Answers to the naming comp on a postcard though, and the winner would be smaX

Is there a clip anywhere of them announcing the winning name on TVAM?
That'll be a no then.
I was just interested if anybody knows how this was followed up, and if an announcement of the winning name was made on TVAM.

The Rubberband Man wrote
Is there a clip anywhere of them announcing the winning name on TVAM?
I have also heard this suggestion that the naming did take place on TVAM as a follow-up to the interview and routine performed im guessing a week or two previously. Obviously we have that clip, but not so the naming bit (where have we heard that before). I or we should have asked Ray L when we saw him at Kal about the possibility of this still existing, as hes the go-to man for stuff like this. If we had a date for the thing it would help.