Quantcast

TOTPs 17/06/16 (Originally aired 31/12/81)

TOTPs 17/06/16 (Originally aired 31/12/81)

AC/PD
31-12-81: Presenter: Mike Read (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(-)    SHAKIN' STEVENS – This Ole House (video)
(-)    ADAM & THE ANTS – Stand & Deliver (video)
(-)    JOHN LENNON – Imagine (video)
(-)    ROXY MUSIC – Jealous Guy (video)
(-)    ANEKA – Japanese Boy (rpt. from 13/08/81)
(71)  THE POLICE – Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (video)
(-)    THE SPECIALS – Ghost Town (rpt. from 02/07/81)
(-)    JOE DOLCE MUSIC THEATRE – Shaddap You Face (video)
(14)  JULIO IGLESIAS – Begin The Beguine (Volver A Empezar) (video)
(-)    BUCKS FIZZ – Making Your Mind Up (rpt)
(-)    DAVE STEWART & BARBARA GASKIN – It’s My Party (video)
(-)    MICHAEL JACKSON – One Day In Your Life (stills)
(-)    SMOKEY ROBINSON – Being With You (video)
(-)    SHAKIN' STEVENS – Green Door (accompanied by Legs & Co) (rpt. from 13/08/81)
(-)    SOFT CELL – Tainted Love (rpt. from 13/08/81)
(-)    JOHN LENNON – Woman (video)
(-)    ADAM & THE ANTS – Prince Charming (video)
(1)   THE HUMAN LEAGUE – Don’t You Want Me (video)
(35) QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE – Under Pressure (stills/credits)

All the No. 1's of 1981.
Taking advantage of the 'post it' medium to create a cost-effective 35 minute compilation edition, Mike Read presents what is to all intents and purposes 'The Top Of The Pops Video Show', with a video for each day of Christmas as per the seasonal song. Remembered are three Lennon compositions and two each from Adan & The Ants and Shakin' Stevens. In the case of the latter, a repeat showing of Shakey's second studio performance of his second No.1 of the year 'Green Door' gives us the chance to see Legs & Co. for one final, final time in the original run.
Tellingly, 'One Day In Your Life' sticks out like a sore thumb as being the only record played before the credits to be represented neither by video nor repeat performance, but by a series of still photographs despite Legs & Co. having twice danced to it in June.

Thanks for the preview AC  I thought it was strange to have Legs in the Shaky performance even though he did one without Legs, but not show a repeated Legs performance of One Day In Your Life. Maybe Mr Hurll didn't want a full on Legs performance but just a subtle one amongst the audience. Well I'm happy just to see Legs one last time on BBC 4
Thank You AC for making these previews for every '81 edition  I'm looking forward to your previews for '82

Yes, it's a bit petty to not use an L&C routine for One Day In Your Life, and show boring picture stills instead

A big thanks for the 1981 previews AC. I appreciate that doing two per week does take up a lot of your time, and for some weeks the base material for a show can be a bit thin. But I really do enjoy reading them, and they certainly add value to the enjoyment of each programme.

Of note, this is the first edition of TOTP where the classic neon sign makes its first appearance behind Mike Read and his bunch of cheerleaders.

While you won't see it for a few weeks as part of the new "cascade" main stage going into 1982, it'll become a permanent fixture for another four years plus by the last of January's shows.

Thanks for the preview AC. If the Legs & Co routine to 'One Day In Your Life' had been shown, it might have meant that they would have had to have been credited and paid an appearance fee for this show. This would also be why they wouldn't have used an old PP or RF routine for the 1976 Christmas shows. What surprises me though is that they didn't get Zoo to perform a routine for it.  'Green Door' wouldn't have caused an issue as they were only in the background as part of the audience.

Well that was a surprise! Legs & Co back the Aneka single

I will do a Nabble poll for these `number ones` later today, in which i ask you to select three choices. So have a think.

As we have now come to the end of the 81 re runs I'd just like to thank AC once again for the past years fantastic previews. Plenty of hits on tonight's show, unfortunately so many were crammed in they all seemed to be cut short, a bit of a shame that the scheduling didn't allow for a longer show. Good to see Legs & Co again, twice, but also rather sad knowing this is the last we'll ever see of them on any of the re runs.

Even though these were all No. 1 records I thought it was a rather poor show and not a patch on the 'old' christmas shows.

I thought 25/12 easily held its own with all the old ones though and was musically fantastic as others have suggested.  If Legs & Co had still been there it would have been an absolute classic

They tried to shoehorn a lot into a short time and the end result was not that good really. If the intention was to include all the number one songs of the year then they should have allocated an extra 15 minutes. Also it would have been better I think to have had more of a mix of studio performances and videos.

They certainly crammed in a lot of songs in such a short space of time.  Lovely to see Shakin' Stevens video again and the girls dancing to Green Door.  He looked ill again.  The make up artist certainly went wrong there.  Would have liked to have seen Legs & Co dance to Michael Jackson's track.  Got the feeling that the Mr H was not going to have a full reprisal on his show again.  A good show but not as good as the previous night as I never really liked compilation shows.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Our good mate Zenon pointed this out on Popscene, so well done to him for spotting it. Problems with the end credits, Gordon Elsbury finds himself credited as the presenter.