TOTPs 17/11/17 (Originally aired 20/12/84)

TOTPs 17/11/17 (Originally aired 20/12/84)

20-12-84 Introduced by Simon Bates & Janice Long. (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(36)  Roy Wood’s Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
(3)    Paul McCartney & The Frog Chorus – We All Stand Together (video)
(33)  Bronski Beat – It Ain’t Necessarily So
(19)  Spandau Ballet – Round & Round (video)
(37)  The Council Collective – Soul Deep
(26)  Foreigner – I Want To Know What Love Is (video)
(20)  Thompson Twins – Lay Your Hands On Me
(1)    Band Aid – Do They Know It’s Christmas (video)
(15)  Ray Parker Jr – Ghostbusters (audience dancing/credits)

This is the last Top of the Pops preview of 1984 and is also my last Top of the Pops preview for the weekly run.. We’re now in December 1984, just five days until Christmas, but in 2017 we’re just in mid-November. Messed up I know, but I can imagine that Top of the Pops will take a short hiatus to show the two festive editions in December.

Roy Wood’s Wizzard were last on Top of the Pops performing I Wish It Would Be Christmas Everyday back at the end of 1981. It’ll be interesting to see how different this performance is from the 1981 version, but still it is good to see something from the 70s.
Paul McCartney & The Frog Chorus’ video to We All Stand Together is shown tonight. It entered the charts on the last Top of the Pops on BBC Four, but to my surprise it has made it to number three!

Bronski Beat are back with It Ain’t Necessarily So which is performed in the Top of the Pops studio, on this festive edition. Bronski Beat made it in 1984, so I think they’ll do just fine in 1985.
Spandau Ballet’s video to Round and Round is shown tonight and is Spandau’s single that they’ve just got into the shops in time for Christmas. Spandau are at an impressive nineteen this week.

The Council Collective which I nearly read as The Style Council are in the TOTP studio to perform Soul Deep. I will probably say that I don’t know this song, but remember Fresh last week when I said I hadn’t heard it before then I remembered it once it had been played on the show!
Foreigner’s video to I Want To Know What Love Is gets its first showing on BBC Four tonight. Surely it will make it to number one in the new year, but it is up against some tough competition.

The Thompson Twins are a welcome sight on the show and they perform Lay Your Hands On Me on this festive edition of Top of the Pops. 1984 Thompson Twins has been very good and I look forward to hearing them in the future.
Band Aid are at number one with their charity single, Do They Know It’s Christmas. This single changed the world and did something good, in fact I have this record, though it only cost me 5p.

GHOSTBUSTERS! Yes, Ray Parker Jr’s signature tune finally gets a BBC Four showing as it has re-entered the top twenty and is the playout track tonight. One of my favourite tracks of 1984, so tonight I will be definitely watching to the fade out.

The Christmas day Top of the Pops will be introduced by the performers.

Thanks for all the weekly or even twice weekly previews during the past months, Legsfan. Your work was much appreciated.

Thanks Vin.

Yeah thanks for your previews LGFN. As for the show itself, well im not sure if ive seen one any worse since the re-runs began. Maybe others on here will find some positives, but im struggling too.

Worst of all was Paul Weller and his mates. What a forgettable song. Council collective, collective tripe more like.

Yes, thanks for your sterling work Legsfan. I'm watching the show the following morning (out last night). Surprised to see it's the last show of 84 already thanks to Messrs Glitter and Smith. Didn't realise until seeing that Band Aid video that Bono stands about 4 foot 11. Hmm. Might explain a lot.

Thanks for the previews LF.
Not a lot of quality material in this episode for you to work with was there?  The shows the BBC skipped had much better line ups.

I stuck with the BBC4 though, and the 1978 review programme was miles better.... it even had Lulu in it

Seeing as BBC4 have run out of episodes to show maybe they might consider showing the (now unnecessarily) skipped Peter Powell show from 07/05/81 featuring a certain dance troupe.

It's been pleasing to read your bright previews for '84 throughout '17, Legsfan. Thanks for providing them (even though you're not keen on Never-Ending Story).
Very limited Banarama in 1985...that's why you've packed up!

Don't know if anyone's confirmed this already, but BBC4 are showing 1985 next year

AC/PD wrote
'84 throughout '17
Don't forget '83

Everything'sRosie wrote
Don't know if anyone's confirmed this already, but BBC4 are showing 1985 next year
Yes, 1985 will be shown. This BBC Four tweet seems to confirm it.

"Simon Bates was correct when he predicted I Want To Know What Love Is would be number 1 but we won’t be seeing it for a few weeks."
https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/931625854358183936

AC/PD wrote
Very limited Banarama in 1985...that's why you've packed up!

Thanks from me too for all the work Legsfan. Two years in one of BBC Four TOTP is good service. You're hereby conferred with the Order of the Gill.

After cozy Yuletide beginnings in which I enjoyed Macca, Roop, and the animated amphibians more than I'm supposed to, I agree the rest of the edition wasn't much cop. But who needs the vibrant patterns of Christmas wrapping when you've got gum-chewin' Paul Weller rapping? Something about trade unions. I assume that's what you call a red wedge haircut. One of the cringiest things I've seen on TOTP for a long time.

The Rubberband Man wrote
I stuck with the BBC4 though, and the 1978 review programme was miles better.... it even had Lulu in it
Yep miles better indeed. What a superb dance routine too, with the six girls and six boys giving us plenty to feast our eyes on. Of course the subject of Gill's disappearing belt always comes to mind when watching this routine and what actually happening. This is my suggestion.

Gills belt is clearly on her just before the twelve dancers begin their paired walk-throughs around half way into the dance routine with Lulu and her chap the first to do so. Its then just a total of 1.72 seconds (yeah smart phone stopwatches are great aren't they) that Gill is again visible and clearly belt-less. Its pretty obvious that she couldn't have removed the troublesome belt in such a short time. So im suggesting that the routine was halted whilst Gill removed the thing and they began again at the commencement of the walk-throughs.

So if thats the case why didn't they simply repair/loosen,tighten the belt during that short space of time. Well i reckon they just pressed on regardless with Gill staying belt-less. I mean who would have noticed such a small discrepancy whilst settling down full of turkey and wine to watch Christmas TOTPs. No one would have imaged back then these routines would be forensically scrutinized in the next century.

It does beg the question through why Gill or whoever didn't halt the routine to `Silver Lady` when she obviously had a major costume malfunction and to give her a chance to attend to the pesky strapping behind her neck. I get the impression that on normal TOTPs routines its takes something serious like one of the dancers tops falling down before they stop the routine and shoot again, as time is obviously an issue.

But with an Xmas routine time is not such a big thing and they have plainly filmed it well in advance, hence the reason for the cut between Gill's disappearing belt.

NickGregory92
Not a bad episode this week. Apart from Wizzard, Macca and Band Aid, I thought the rest of this show's offerings were largely forgettable.

Can't believe we've come to the end of '84 already (especially considering this time last year, we were still halfway through 1982), but understandable given that several episodes were either Yewtreed, Smithed or Glittered. Hopefully with DLT and Saville gone, we can look forward to more 1985 episodes next year, but ideally the BBC ought to sort the Smith situation out.

And lastly, many thanks to LF for your weekly/bi-weekly reviews for the '83 & '84 shows this year. It's been good fun reading your in-depth reviews and everyone else's inputs on each show.

Thanks from me too LF.  Your always cheery intros were much appreciated

I didn't think it was too bad a show. The second half was probably better than the first.
Surely Roy Wood had cashed in enough on that song by now.
I like Band Aid but as charity songs go, I preferred the USA for Africa song , We Are The World. Not sure how well it charted over here but it may pop up sometime next year.

Big thanks to Legsfan for his previews which have always made good reading.

Thanks all for the kind words. I’ll make my last two previews extra special.

The Rubberband Man wrote
[...]

The removal of the belt is a mystery. I lose track of it after Gill gets lifted, because after that she holds her skirt in a way to cover it which the others don't do, so maybe that's when things started going wrong. When it cuts to them on the floor Gill's belt is back, but it's then missing again when they do the next cut for the walk-throughs.
So much editing going on it's hard to keep up.

You have done a great job Legsfan doing these previews. It was pleasure to read your well written previews.
12