TOTPs 18/05/17 (Originally aired 08/12/83)

TOTPs 18/05/17 (Originally aired 08/12/83)

08-12-83 Introduced by Mike Read and Tommy Vance (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(4)    Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now
(22)  Billy Joel – Tell Her About It (video)
(2)    Paul Young – Love Of The Common People (rpt from 24/11/83)
(6)    Tina Turner – Let’s Stay Together (video)
(31)  Tears For Fears – The Way You Are
(23)  Howard Jones – What Is Love
(11)  Culture Club - Victims (video)
(1)    The Flying Pickets – Only You
(18)  Wham! – Club Fantastic Megamix (audience dancing/credits)

Mike Read and Tommy Vance present the second December edition of Top of the Pops which introduces some of the last hits of the year, and some will even overflow into 1984. Last week’s Top of the Pops was introduced with Dave Lee Travis, so we have jumped from late November to early December. There is a new number one, so you know this will be good.

The Thompson Twins or should I say Thompson Trio are in the Top of the Pops studio which is quite rare these days, but it is a well-deserved appearance because of the success of their latest hit which definitely gives Paul Young a run for his money chart wise. Get that cup of hot chocolate ready as you’ll need some warming up throughout with the frosty December feel to the show even though it was seventeen degrees Celsius in some parts of the UK.

Billy Joel isn’t at number one anymore, but he has another hit climbing the charts which the video gives a 60s TV feel. Oh wait its Sunday, 31st July 1963 in this video which is well before Top of the Pops, though the dates in this video are fantasy as I think it would be impossible for Billy Joel to go back in time to record a video. On the plus side even though it is a 60s style video, it is in Colour which America has had since the 50s, so we were quite late to the party which was 50 years ago this year.

Paul Young climbs the charts to try and bag his second number one, but sorry Paul you won’t make it. Nothing special about the performance tonight as it is a repeat from the 24/11 edition which wasn’t banned, so most of us watched it. If you enjoyed the performance then I guess you will be happy that it is getting a second showing, though I can’t remember if there was a video for this song. Oh I will have to search the web after writing this preview.

When anyone says the name Tina Turner you know that a classy 70s lady will be singing, but no! She still has all that class from the 70s, but she is re-inventing herself without Ike as an 80s icon which I’m sure she will achieve as even today when you mention the name Tina Turner, everyone remembers her 80s hits, but for some reason thinks that Ike and Tina Turner are unrelated to this Tina Turner (we know she is the same woman!) well another video on the show tonight which is in Colour.

Tears For Fears are doing well at the moment as they are still having hits amongst the chart which I’m sure you will agree has changed so much this past year. Even now when I think back to 1980 it seems like primitive Pops, but now it is just so modern which Michael Hurll has implemented over these past few years by introducing acts like Tears For Fears. I think if Robin Nash has stayed on as producer it would have changed the way people perform on the show. Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing Tears For Fears on the show tonight.

Howard Jones is asking What Is Love? Though I think he has found it through the many thousands of pounds he has made in 1983 from the string of successful singles and albums that he has released this past year which is very good. I didn’t really know who Howard Jones was until earlier in the 1983 run, but some of his stuff is really what the people was listening to as I hear all about his music even today, so an appearance at the end of the year is most welcome and this is another performance that I will be looking forward to a little bit later.

Culture Club have released Victims which I’m sure will make an impact on the matter which this song is about. Yes it is about George’s turbulent relationship with drummer Jon Moss which I guess must have been one of those huge celebrity headlines back in the day like today you hear about celebrity relationships in certain newspapers which may write false information like one in NI. This is another hit from 1983’s biggest band who have probably made the biggest impact on UK music culture in 1983. Let’s hope they stick around in 1984.

The Flying Pickets have made it to number one with Yazoo’s Only You which they have given their own unique sound to it. This isn't a number one that I thought would have made it to the top, but surprisingly it has! I know it sounds similar, but I wonder if Yazoo were still entitled to royalties? After all they did write the song. This will be 1983’s last number one which will bring us into 1984.

Wham! Was a band which could be spoken about with high spirits, but since George Michael’s untimely death at Christmas last year, I think that writing about Wham! has a bit of a sad overlook to it, but I think that he should be remembered at his best, so Club Fantastic Megamix is the playout track tonight which concludes this edition of Top of the Pops.

Tomorrow’s Top of the Pops will be introduced by Simon Bates and Janice Long.

Apologies. I lost track of time

That's alright. I'm watching it while reading your review.

Sorry, not meaning to sound pedantic, LF, but the USA did NOT have colour television in the fifties. They had it earlier than us though.

Thanks for another good preview Legsfan, was a good show tonight.

What is the issue with The Flying Pickets that would stop the BBC from showing them on TOTPs ?

The Rubberband Man wrote
What is the issue with The Flying Pickets that would stop the BBC from showing them on TOTPs ?
I may have misinterpreted some information while half asleep one morning.
There was no issue with The Flying Pickets.
Sorry

^^^ That's ok. No worries LF ^^^

The Wham guys, George and Andrew were involved in a legal battle with their record company Innervision, and they asked their fans not to buy "Club Fantastic Megamix" as the record company had only released the record to squeeze as much money as they could from the band while they were still signed to them.

Thanks for the preview , Legsfan. I watched this show earlier than usual as the late night show wasn't very late and thought it was quite good.

LF, although as we shall see Howard Jones did enjoy a string of hits, 'What Is Love?' was only his second single and he didn't release his debut album until 84. If we weren't now out of sync with the repeats your impending Christmas present 'from your grateful friends at OFTD' might be the latest Guinness Book Of Hit Singles & Albums.

I'm not too keen on the charts around this Yuletide. Thankfully I seem to recall some reinvigoration early in the new year.

I sometimes get my notes mixed up. Its good to know someone is noticing when I get it wrong.
Removed that last bit incase anyone thought I was being serious

Never serious in a million years.  Keep up the mainly good work.   Always uniquely interesting to read a take on this era from another generation.

This was a very good show.  Really enjoyable nostalgia.  Loved Thompson Twins song, Billy Joel's video was just ace (pretty sure this is from his Innocent Man album).  Enjoyed Tina Turner and Culture Club too.  Although the latter video was really good was not too keen on the song.  Flying Pickets was really a joke.  Remember the lead singer playing Chunky in the eighties Northern drama "Making Out".  He played Margi Clarke's partner.  Wham's track was naff.  Not really a fan of megamixes.

Disappointed that backing dancer Sandy appears to have been 'Hurlled', I was starting to quite like her.

+1

It appears it didn't hold her back!
http://www.sandyborne.co.uk/index.html

No exaggerated TOTP claims here, in fact it's not mentioned at all!"