TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
Bless my cotton socks its DLT!, so its no mystery why we wont be seeing this on BBC4. This is still a good watch however with debuts from Teardrop Explodes, Legs biggest fan Toyah and new performances from Adam and The Ants and the recently departed Lemmy with Motorhead and Girlschool. Plus two Legs performances, yippee!

Thanks to Meer and Popscene

The Teardrop Explodes – “Reward” (41)
Rainbow – “I Surrender” (4) (video)
Fred Wedlock – “The Oldest Swinger In Town” (6) (with Legs & Co)
Headgirl (Motorhead & Girlschool) – “Please Don’t Touch” (15)
Toyah – “It’s A Mystery” (42)
Stray Cats – “Rock This Town” (9)
Talking Heads – “Once In A Lifetime” (35) (Legs & Co)
Visage – “Fade To Grey” (12) (video)
Adam & The Ants – “Kings Of The Wild Frontier” (39)
Joe Dolce Music Theatre – “Shaddap You Face” (1) (rpt from 05/02/81)
Madness – “The Return Of The Los Palmas 7” (7) (credits)

https://vimeo.com/152881265
Regarding the clip, well we have both Sound and Vision just not at the same time, barely in the same dimension even.....

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Thanks Mikey. WOW, after watching that in my eyes that was the best TOTPs for a very long time with just about everything getting the thumbs up by me, though the number one is getting on my nerves now. Such a shame the wider BBC4 audience have been denied the chance to view it.
What would i have voted for in the weekly poll, well its no mystery, it would have been Toyah.

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

PattiforPM
I agree, good Show.  Teardrop Explodes would have got my vote but reluctantly I agree that Toyah was indeed pretty good and for number one I had to turnoffa ma sound.

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Surprising to hear DLT make Tony Blackburn the butt of his joke before the `Oldest Swinger In Town` on this, especially as hes not been on the show for a couple of years now. Knowing Tone though i think he would have taken it in good humour, probably glad of the mention actually.

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Mikey
I guess they were still Radio 1 colleagues at this point

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Yes just looking on BBC Genome im quite surprised to see Tony Blackburn still on Radio 1 in 1981. It appears that the weekends were his slot with Junior Choice on both days plus the new top 40 on a Sunday tea-time. He held the latter until January 1982.

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Just watched this show with DLT as host. And must agree with Ryan what a great show. And we get to see our ladies twice.

Re: TOTPs 19-02-81 Dave Lee Travis

Wikipedia states he left in '84, thats quite some run given the fickle nature of broadcasting.