TOTPs 19/05/17 (Originally aired 15/12/83)

TOTPs 19/05/17 (Originally aired 15/12/83)

15-12-83 Introduced by Simon Bates and Janice Long (Thanks to POPSCENE for the running order)

(25)  Status Quo – Marguerita Time
(24)  UB40 – Many Rivers To Cross (video)
(3)    Slade – My Oh My
(20)  Barry Manilow – Reed ‘Em & Weep (video)
(23)  Pretenders – 2000 Miles
(11)  Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands In The Stream (US TV clip)
(1)    The Flying Pickets – Only You
(30)  Kool & The Gang – Straight Ahead (audience dancing/credits)

Simon Bates celebrates four years as a Top of the Pops while Janice Long celebrates one. This is mid-December which is full of anniversaries, though some can be tragic like it has now been three years since John Lennon was killed in New York, though I think that the festive time of year should be a time to reflect on the year and how not to make the mistakes of the year just passed, but we’re at the start of Summer in real time, so you can put up your Christmas tree and start writing those cards now if you would like to. Maybe we could have a OFTD Christmas twice a year to coincide with TOTP reaching December in the Summer and Winter.

Status Quo are still going strong after all these years. They get all the oldies in for the Christmas show, probably so that Top of the Pops will be the BBC’s most watched show right before Christmas, but it is good to see them in the studio as video seems to be taking over some of the exclusive band’s performances, but not this time. IF the 20th Anniversary edition isn’t banned (which I will go into more detail soon) we will see this back on the show in a couple of weeks.

UB40 are still riding the success of Red Red Wine which is sure to be one of the biggest selling singles of the year, but now they are back in video form with a song that I don’t really know too well called Many Rivers To Cross which I’m sure has some deep dark (or light) meaning to it, but after a search on the web I found out that was not the case as the song was originally by Jimmy Cliff, so this isn’t one of UB40’s original hits, but I’m sure they will give it their own flavour.

If you turn the clock back to 1972, you’ll remember a band who had many hits including a number one… yes I am talking about Slade who are so close to the top that if it wasn’t for Paul Young and The Flying Pickets, this would have been another number one hit for the band. With Status Quo this will also be on the 20th Anniversary edition IF it hasn’t been banned, so just in case, make the most of these two appearances!

Barry Manilow has made it back into the UK music scene with another song, sadly not Bermuda Triangle accompanied by Rosie’s ‘Language’, but this time it is Read ‘Em & Weep which I have never even heard of, but to be honest the only Manilow song I know is BT with added Rosie lyrics. Successful as he may seem now, Barry really has had a struggle when it comes to getting hits in the UK, so if you are a Manilow fan, you’ll be delighted to see this video.

The Pretenders are back with 2000 Miles which we heard just six months ago when Top of the Pops were showing that trash called Christmas Hits which gave us a preview of this and a couple of other songs that might be a long wait away, but it has been a very short wait due to the various reasons why some of the editions can’t be shown, but nevertheless I will be here for at least 1984 as I think my contact has been extended for another TOTP year, though that may be threatened if a Michael Hurll type poster wants to introduce video previews, then I will either join the temporary preview group or start a new preview group.

Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton are singing Islands In The Stream which was penned by the Bee Gees which you may be thinking “Bee Gees? I thought they were finished in 1980?” but throughout the first six years of the 1980s the Bee Gees have written hits for Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand to name a few. Kenny and Dolly would have international success with this hit as it has already been a hit in America, and is now trying for the number one spot. I would say that this is one of the most famous duos of the 1980s.

Ba Da Da Da… Yes The Flying Pickets are at number one which isn’t or never was considered banned by the BBC as I mis-read some information which I wasn’t corrected on, but it doesn’t matter now as I am going to do a BBC and sweep this under the carpet until forty years later when someone brings it up again and I am stripped of my Top of the Pops previews duties. Anyway, this song hasn’t done as well as I expected amongst us, but our one vote per person is definitely fairer to see which performance the majority agree on as the best.

Kool & The Gang are celebrating that they have managed to get back on the UK’s biggest chart show since 1964. Though this is the audience dancing/credits I’m sure that if it proves to be popular, it will gain some votes, though these days the audience dancing are sometimes overlooked due to their sometimes reduced length, but I can promise you that every single Top of the Pops preview will mention the final closing performance. This concludes the show for tonight.

You may have noticed my rantings in the Pretenders paragraph, well it was my take on Legs’ departure which happened on BBC Four nearly a year ago as exactly one year ago today, Legs were dancing to Ottawan’s Hands Up and the Tweets Birdie Song. Legs will NEVER be forgotten as these previews progress.

Next Thursday’s Festive Top of the Pops will be introduced by David Jensen and John Peel.

Thanks for another fab preview Legsfan, It looks another good show tonight.

Unusually for me, i really quite enjoyed that TOTPs. I think the reason why was that a lot of the artists on show were a bit more to my taste and the majority of them were around in the days that suited me more, in other words the 70s and 1980ish.

Three observations. I thought Janice Long looked quite terrific done up like that, i never remember seeing her look that hot before. The second was i wonder what the conversations were between the two Quo frontmen that occurred all through their performance ? The third, did i really see Musical Youth in the UB40 promo. Gee they certainly get around dont they !

Oh and thanks for the preview LGF.

A larger than usual amount of established 'veteran' acts in this edition, which is good to see in the Christmas run-up.
Thanks for the words, Legsfan.

Was not really taken with this show tonight.  Status Quo song was okay as was UB40.  Not really fond of the Slade hit and this was the first time I had heard it.  Was expecting a more heavier song.  Lots of messages in it.  Barry Manilow's track was good but not ideal for him.  This song should have gone to a woman.  Would have been ideal if Bonnie Tyler had released it.  I have liked some of his songs in the past but this has a big thumbs down and the video.  Pretenders track always good to listen to.  Really enjoyed the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton track and video which we have seen many times but it was good to see live performances.  A big thumbs down for the number one but a good song from Kool and the Gang.  Warming to Janice Long as a presenter now and did like the dress.  Maybe because these songs are for the Christmas market and we are just beginning Summer they seem to be a little depressing and lack oomph.

I found the number one in a charity shop the other week for 30p. They also had 1982's Christmas number one Save Your Love priced at 35p, so which one do you think is worth buying?

Dancer wrote
Was not really taken with this show tonight.
Funny how folk see things differently. If id have enjoyed every show from 83 like i enjoyed this one, i certainly wouldn't be moaning each week. Put it this way, this is the first show for a very long time i didn't hit the fast forward button. But i concede the run down of the acts on the show probably didn't suit the 16-24 year old record buying public, so i expect once Xmas is out of the way it will be back to the ostentatious, nay pretentious 1980s that i so dislike then and even more so now.

Legsfan wrote
I found the number one in a charity shop the other week for 30p. They also had 1982's Christmas number one Save Your Love priced at 35p, so which one do you think is worth buying?
Both aren't exactly collectors items, so if you really feel like buying one and you don't have enough money for both , just pick the one you like the most.
Personally, I wouldn't buy either of them.
Vin

Neither are worth 10p let alone 35p! However, I might have another look for some rarities like that single Pan's People did . If that song had made it into the charts and onto Top of the Pops would Pan's People have danced to their record, or would they have sung (mimed) like any other group?

As you're a fan of Anita, how about one of these?, bit pricey for me.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2296032?ev=rb

Thanks for the preview, Legsfan. I enjoyed both shows this week. In fact on this particular show I liked virtually everything on it, which is unusual for me.

Legsfan wrote
However, I might have another look for some rarities like that single Pan's People did .
Only the German and possibly the Portuguese edition are worth collecting. Be prepared to shell out a bit more money though, especially for the German edition - that's if you can find one at all!
The Mike McGear single has a nice cover as well, and there's one for sale on discogs right now, much cheaper than the one I bought:
https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/9838296?ev=rb
Vin

Thank you Vin, I will consider that one you suggested, I see only one person has that record
Though looking through shops I have found more records danced by Pan's People all in the same section, so I wonder if people bought what the dancers were dancing to. I have seen You're the First, the Last, My Everything, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, The Hustle, There's A Kind of Hush, Without You and many many more! Though they aren't that collectable. Your record input is most valued.

did i really see Musical Youth in the UB40 promo. Gee they certainly get around dont they !
The presence of Musical Youth in the congregation made me think the video was probably filmed in Brum again. But it turns out it was shot at St Paul's, Deptford and apparently Aswad, Ruby Turner, Jackie Graham, Feargal Sharkey and Phil Lynott are also in there.

I have to agree that the 'oldies' made for an enjoyable show. With most performers well into their thirties at least I wonder if this was one of the oldest editions in TOTP history?

Would have bought neither but then this maybe the demise of the hit single from hereon in for the economical fan.  The first Now compilation album was released around here (if not before) and people would tend to wait for this to be released.  I remember that been David Hamilton's album of the week and he said "this is one fantastic compilation - every one a hit and no edits like on the current compilations".  I have never purchased a Now album but still have some K-tel compilations.  Soul Motion from 1976 is always playing in my front room.

I never fast forward.  If there is something I don't like I tend to go in the other room.  Agree the eighties was not really me.  I do tend to walk away from eighties discos.  1984 will be inundated with Frankie songs which I don't mind because I thought Holly Johnson's voice was just perfect.  My record collection kind of diminished at this time too.  Purchased Relax on 12" single and then that was it.  Went over to cassette singles and even they were few and far between.  Just wished I had bought the Madonna stuff at this time that was released as that is worth a fair bit now.

Dancer wrote
Soul Motion from 1976 is always playing in my front room.
I think I have that one stored away in attic hell, Dancer. Was it the one with a graffitti style cover? If so it has a brilliant track on it called 'Shoes' by Reparata. Could never understand why it wasn't a monster hit, but my Guiness Book of Hit Singles tells me it stalled at a miserable No. 43.

Yes it is the one with the graffiti cover on.  Real fantastic album.  Loads of tracks on there that Pans People danced to including Eddie Drennon, Ojays, Barry White but no Reparata "shoes" track.  It was a number one album too.  All the songs on there were hits.  Are you getting mixed up with Disco Rocket that was released in December 1976.

Ah, I'm getting my compilations mixed up. I remember Disco Rocket, probably had it at one time. Me and my sister used to buy the multi-artist LPs because they were cheaper than buying the singles, and they often had obscure tracks on them you knew nothing about because they weren't big hits. 'Shoes' being one of them. Kids today don't know how easy they've got it! Lol.

No they don't.  Everything at the touch of a button.  Compilation albums were really issued about one every three months (various artists) until the nineties and then it went mad and the small record shops could not cope with demand.  It became three or four every week.  I had Disco Rocket for Christmas but took it back.  I exchanged it for Abba's Arrival.  It really annoyed me that the songs were edited on the compilations but with Soul Motion there was hardly any of that.  I wish they had released that on CD really.